HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Heater Body Suit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/311887-heater-body-suit.html)

BigBuck95 12-07-2009 02:39 PM

Heater Body Suit

Okay, so I watch Jim Shockey and he and all of his cronies up there in the yukon swear by these things the Heater Body Suits, supposed to use the fabric like a sleeping bag to retain heat. Does anyone have any experience using these? Do they work as well as people say they do? Or. . . . .. ? INPUT WANTED
BigBuck95 :cool15:

iSnipe 12-07-2009 03:53 PM

Never mind.

kevin1 12-08-2009 02:46 AM

Arctic Shield makes about the warmest clothing out there for the weight and encumbrance, a much better investment. The Heater Body Suit is just an ordinary sleeping bag with sleeves.

153 12-08-2009 03:32 AM

I have had a Heater Body Suit for about six years. Yes they work very well, especially in the wind. I have sat all day in the rain and stay warm and dry. They are a bit of a pain too get into up a treestand but now I just put mine on and climb with the suit on.
If you are planning on sitting all day or at least a half a day good investment. Once you put it on you have to stay where you are located until the suit is removed. Kinka pricey but well worth the money. Keeps your hands warms also without the use of gloves, very easy to unzip when the time comes for a shot. I started taking blood pressure meds about four years ago and can not stand cold as much as before so I used now more than ever, ask anyone who takes blood pressure meds and they will tell you it seems as if the temp has drop 10-15 degrees.

BigBuck95 12-08-2009 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by 153 (Post 3522970)
I have had a Heater Body Suit for about six years. Yes they work very well, especially in the wind. I have sat all day in the rain and stay warm and dry. They are a bit of a pain too get into up a treestand but now I just put mine on and climb with the suit on.
If you are planning on sitting all day or at least a half a day good investment. Once you put it on you have to stay where you are located until the suit is removed. Kinka pricey but well worth the money. Keeps your hands warms also without the use of gloves, very easy to unzip when the time comes for a shot. I started taking blood pressure meds about four years ago and can not stand cold as much as before so I used now more than ever, ask anyone who takes blood pressure meds and they will tell you it seems as if the temp has drop 10-15 degrees.

Good to know. Doesn't get below zero here alot, but it does sometimes. Usually between 10-20, but with high winds it is crazy cold. It can really suck. But Gotta be there. That's why i wondered about this product. Thank you, 153.

BigBuck95:s11:

Slackdaddy 12-09-2009 04:19 PM

I wanted one but could not fork over a couple hundred.
I found a Kids Camo sleeping bag at D!(ks for 10.00 a few years back.
Once up in my stand I step into the bag, pull it up to my neck and sit down, have not been cold since.

Slack

sproulman 01-19-2010 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Slackdaddy (Post 3525006)
Once up in my stand I step into the bag, pull it up to my neck and sit down, have not been cold since.

Slack

i use same bag in camo .i put suspenders on mine.i also use hiking boots into my stand,take them off and put on my BOOT BLANKET boots,then into the sleeping bag.
i can wiggle my toes inside then and is easier on bag inside without heavy hunting boots.i stick my hiking boots in my backpack bag out of cold/wind.
not to bad putting on cold boots when ready to leave but i dont like lacing the boots up to leave so i am looking for boot that is small in height and has zipper on side .COLD FINGERS ITS HARD TO LACE A BOOT UP.

sproulman 02-14-2010 10:02 AM

homemade heater suit

i am trying idea with CAMO COVERALLS.i take a 2xl as i am 6/1 210.for my idea to work i will have to go to a 4xl/5xl,dont know yet.
heater body suit makes you open front.i dont like that.lets heat out.
my idea is too just stick your arms out thru the coveralls sleeves.if your coveralls are big enough, you should be able to slide your arms out in sleeves.

this is only idea until i test it.if that does not work, i am cutting the sleeves off and putting magnets of some sort on the openings.this way i can just slide out and slide in.magnets should close the openings.

again dont know if it will work.another thing i have a 18 inch neck, by going to bigger size to make this into heater suit,i dont know what my neck closure will be. you dont want a big open area around your neck.
i think you almost have to go to 3 sizes above what you are for this to work.i could be wrong and maybe 2 would be fine but i bet 3 could be ticket, dont know until i can find a place that has sizes up to 5xl so i can try on different sizes.
with my idea you would not need to open front on your coveralls .this i believe would work for crossbow/gun/muzzleloader.compound bow,you would take your arms and pull zipper down. but i dont know how much noise the zipper would make.i would think very little if you put wax on it,wax will deaden noise of zipper.

for your feet i would use BOOT BLANKETS that are on sale for 29 dollars.this idea would be better in treestands and on ground, i feel.you could dress light coming into your spot, sit down and just put coveralls on.
i saw insulated camo coveralls at wal-mart for 30 dollars on sale but they are gone now.problem is biggest size i saw was 3xl.i think if you are medium/large size the 3xl would be about right.i think i need a 4xl or 5xl for this idea to work.

heater suit has a lot more things it covers like WINDPROOF/WATERPROOF.i saw coveralls that are waterproof for around 129 dollars.heater suit is 350 dollars.
if i can find place to try on coveralls so i can pick size, i could make my test this winter hunting coyotes ,right now its hard to find any hunting gear locally.i may trey to see if jc penny has big size coveralls for work.that may get me started on sizes.

take care sproul

rankbull 02-16-2010 01:09 PM

Always wanted one, prob going to pick one up for this next season.

sproulman 02-16-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Slackdaddy (Post 3525006)

Slack

i did same thing for years. i used camo one from wal-mart.nylon on outside makes it somewhat water resitant.i put suspenders on mine. cost me around 16 dollars and its camo too.
now i like the oversize coverall idea better than bag as i can wear less clothes than sleeping bag idea.