Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rubber boots

Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rubber boots

I traditionally wear a rocky stalker type boot with either bibs or some type of pants that end up being worn over the top part of the boot.

I am hunting property now that is always under water. In some areas maybe 6 or more inches of water so it looks like I am stuck using a rubber boot.

I wear foot orthotics. My legs arent great (balance is a little suspect) but I get around ok.

I am looking for a rubber boot that:

I could use these orthotics and
get off and on with minimal trouble
and if it doesnt move around (provide some stability) that would be helpful.

Are there any suggestions?

If there is a non rubber boot that would be completely waterproof, I would try that as well.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Not sure about how warm they need to be because I don't know what part of the country you are from. LaCrosse has some nice all rubber boots and an even better bet would be muck boots. I am from Vermont and we often have deep snow so I used Lacrosse for many years. I recenrtly got a pair of muck woody max and they are really comfortable, warm and have a good tread. Rubber boots won't give the support needed for steep canyons like in the west though. I have huunted with rubber boots all over northern New England and the vast bogs of Newfoundland. IMO having anything other than all rubber boots in a wet boggy environment is not a good thing. One step in a wet seep and you will go over a pair of leather boots. All my rubber boots are 16" to 18" tall and when in the really wet stuff I tuck the pants into the boot.
On a side note the muck woody max boots go on and come off real easily. The laCrosse come off harder. Don't waste your money on brand rubber boots from cabelas or bass Pro. They last about half as long as the LaCrosse. Recently they started to be made in China and aren't as good. That is why I tried the muck boots and so far like them.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-03-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 Muck Boots.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

+2 Muck Boots
Old 12-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's my best recommendation.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...box.jsp.form23
Old 12-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

It looks like the muck boots are in fact the easiest to get on off of. That is very important for me.

The big question now is "socks".

I understand that the key is to size the boots according to the socks you are going to wear.

I typically wear a sock liner and some type of wool sock.

The manufacturer or distributor recommends a medium weight or hiker type sock with this boot.

I have used a couple different socks. A Red Head brand heavy "tree stand" sock. A merlino wool sock. A wigwam 40 below sock.

Do you agree that a merlino hiker sock is a good choice for this boot?
Is there a specific brand that seems to do the best job?

I am in MD and want to be prepared for cold weather for the late season and if I can use it in the earlier season that would be a bonus.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Spike

Lmao at Lauren H thinking most people have them in their car. I live in the countryside and don't even own a pair of them and don't know anyone that has unless they either working on a farm, is a doggy person or owns a horse.

The story you were reading sounds like it is a few years old to say the least.
================================
affordable fertiliy clinic
enterrement de vie de garçon
Old 12-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I used the Muck Woodymax boots with just a medium weight wool sock the other day while ice fishing all day out doors in 17 degree weather with some wind here in VT. My feet were warm so I doubt that you will have any trouble keeping warm in Maryland. I wear size 10 shoe and use size 10 boots. If you wanted lots of thick socks you might want to go up one size but I have found that all brands of rubber boots feel better if I get the same size as my shoe. You don't want them slipping or being sloppy on your feet.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-26-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got some Muck boots. After trying them on in the store, I found that I prefer the same size as I wear in a shoe as well. They are very comfortable boots with descent support as far as rubber boots go.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

LaCrosse boots are mine of choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.