Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Boots

Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by effect
Hey Champlain Islander thanks for you input. I am located in Arizona, so the terrain i go is desert to pine to you name it. I like the looked of the two previous Boots(Rocky) that i linked. I have also read about them falling apart, and that is why i am trying to find a different brand with similar look or style. Do you no of any that are similar?
Check Danner out. They make boots for the military plus hunting/ hiking. I got my last pair at Cabelas on the way out west for an elk hunt in the high country and they were Danner pronghorn. I put them on in the store and they felt like I had on sneakers. Light and secure without any rubs or breaking in needed. I took them right out and hunted with them and never looked back. Really nice boot and they are usually around $160. They come in all sorts of insulation or un insulated and have goretex.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-03-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Spike

Think i got it narrowed down to two pairs. Either http://www.outdoor-headquarters.com/...e=rockyoutdoor . or http://www.outdoor-headquarters.com/...e=rockyoutdoor. Any input on either of these?
I will NEVER buy another pair of Rocky's again. Wore a pair 4 times in just a little over a years time. Fourth time I wore them they leaked. Called the factory, and yes, they were out of warranty (one year). Even though I wore them only four times they still would not help me out. Lost this customer!

By the way.....I now wear the LaCrosse Brawny Extreme 1200 gram Thinsulate boots. Very light, quiet AND warm. I'm on my second pair. First pair lasted me about four years.

Doug B.

Last edited by DougB.; 12-03-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Spike

Thanks Doug. I have heard a lot of upset comments about Rocky boots. But i am definently checking out the ones you have.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
JW
Super Moderator

For boots I will stay with my Russells - South 40s non insulated and then the insulated pair.

1 pair of south 40 I still wear and have since 1994.......think I got my money out of them for sure.

JW
Old 12-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Irish Setters. I now have 2 pairs of them and are very happy with them. I also would not buy boots without Gortex lining in them if it were me whichever brand you choose.

www.shoebuy.com has some reasonable prices and free shipping.

I bought a pair of Rocky 1000gram Super Brutes about 12 years ago. I still wear them from time to time in season and they have held up. I recently (last year) purchased a pair of Rocky Bear Claws(I think) about a year ago and they didn't make it through one season, I felt like crying not just cause I got ripped off but because a product I preached about how good they were to anyone who would listen completely let me down.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Spike

Thanks Doug. I have heard a lot of upset comments about Rocky boots. But i am definitely checking out the ones you have.
I believe the LaCrosse' have what some may have described as the "air-bob" soles too. Not REAL sure exactly what they might have been talking about. They have great traction, yet don't seem to drag a lot of dirt around. Truck floor boards, wife's kitchen floor etc.

Doug B.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Spike

What do u guys think of these.http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...c-000423bb4e79
Old 12-04-2009, 04:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Looks good and they are probably made for Cabelas by Irish Setter. Price is good but the tread isn't what I would want in a hunting boot if you were in rocky slippery or steep terrain. Sounds like you are in more of a piney semi arrid situation so they might be good. The beauty of Cabelas is if you don't like them send them back. A couple of years ago I bought a pair of their rubber 2000 gram insulated rubber boots for ice fishing and they cracked at the ankle after 14 months of ownership ( I used them about every day for the 3-4 month season). I complained and they requested that I send them back for evaluation. They sent me a full refund which was pretty good. I wouldn't buy a pair of leather boots without trying them on though. If you are going to buy from Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse or whatever go to the store. I know right away if a pair of boots is good just by trying them on and walking around. Buying a pair of boots and having to break them in isn't the way I like to do it. Some boots just plain fit and when you try on different brands you will see the difference.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second Irish Setters. I have a pair (don't remember which model) that I bought for $48 when the local Sportsman's Warehouse was going out of business three years ago. Very comfortable, don't leak, and easy to walk in.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Effect

Try out the Danner pronghorn boots, I used mine on my Antelope and muley hunt down in an area similer to Arizona in southern Alberta. Plains area and hilly full of ravines. They reacted well to all the miles I put in and at days end were dry as could be. Walked through a lot of water that week and they never developed leaks so the Gortex did it's job and the price is reasonable to. The grip is great and what a person needs for the climbing terrain and all the shale that I encountered. Give them a try.
Rocky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.