Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Knife Sharpeners- Tested Two Models >

Knife Sharpeners- Tested Two Models

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Knife Sharpeners- Tested Two Models

Old 05-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Knife Sharpeners- Tested Two Models

I tested two knife sharpeners from the Cabelas catalog. One the" Chef' s Choice" Manual #460 (jc 51-4383) $29.99 and the other " Firestone Broadhead Sharpener and Wrench" (jc 41-4932) $19.99. No matter how many strokes on the " Chef" s Choice" I could not acheive a razor sharp edge on my pocket knife.
The Firestone Broadhead, uses discs to sharpen with, got the knife shaving hairs in less than four minutes! Clear winner " Firestone Broadhead" compact, inexpensive, and VERY easy to use- no more wondering if your holding the blade at the correct angle. If you can hold a knife upright you can sharpen like a pro, just run the it across the discs slowly decreasing the pressure with each stroke. Requires no oil. A little on the heavy side, but lighter than a wet stone, I may opt for the single stage (jc 41-0766) $16.99 to keep in my hunting vest, which is a lighter model and keep the two stage model for sharpening knives around the house. Idiot Proof and gets knives razor sharp FAST.