Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

bowhunting climber

Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default bowhunting climber

I'm was looking for opinions on a good climber for bowhunting. Something comfortable for long hunts and worth the price. I have a old heavy climber now so anything would be much better but I don't wanna buy something and then down the road realize I should've bought a different 1?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

I use the Summit 180 Max because I'm a big guy and there is a lot of room in this stand, the downside to this is it is a little heavier than most (22 lbs). The surround seat is great for my climate (keeps me warm) but may be a problem in your area. Very few moving parts and no pins. The cables can make a little noise when setting up but have not found one that is totally silent although I am looking at the Equalizer. Packs up pretty good, I added molle pack straps and tossed out the cheapo backpack straps that come with it. http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/usgi-mo...er-straps.html
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

This topic is brought up every week. Did you search the forum? Once you do you will see all kinds of advice.

Summit and Lone Wolf seem to stand out. I have a Summit Viper and a Summit Goliath. Both are very nice. I like the Viper because it is a little lighter. Haven't used the Goliath yet and may switch it over to a hang on type stand in my go to spot.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Spike

This is something I posted on a different thread but it relates:

This stand has been a great investment for me. I've been very pleased with it:

Have you considered a Viper Summit climber?

I had a GanderMTN hang on tree stand that broke on me (as I was testing it like I do before each hunt the clip broke and down we went (fortunately I had my harness and was facing the tree)) and I took it back to Gander and without much fuss on my part they gave me 50% off a new stand of my choosing.

I figured I would get another hang on (but NOT a gander product) and once I started looking I decided heck, why not, and sprung for the Summit Viper SS.

To this day I consider it one of the better hunting purchases I have made (nothing will EVER top my first 870). Heres what I like about it:

1. It is quiet. Both when Im in it and when I carry it in
2. It is light. MUCH lighter than my considerably smaller Hang on
3. It is SUPER comfortable. I can and do sit in it for full days
4. It has a "swing like" seat so its almost like being in a hammock. No hard platform to sit on
5. It is very sturdy. I would have no problem taking this stand 20 or more ft up (though I don't). It has teeth that dig into the tree when you stand on it so even if the cables were to slide the stand would not
6. The teeth also prevent it from squeeking against the tree when you move around
7. It has a nice ring or rail around the front to hold you in which doubles as a way to hang camo burlap as a curtain of sorts (which allows you to move your feet without being seen)
8. The seat height is adjustable which is great for those of us who bow hunt and rifle hunt because you can raise it up for bow hunting and lower it and use the rail around you as an arm rest for your rifle

You can get them for $280 new and they come with a comfortable harness. I HIGHLY recommend them.

Here's a link to them: http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...summit%20viper

However, don't forget to support your local hunting store. A few extra dollars that will stay in the local area is money well spent.

As a once marketing major in college (thank god I changed majors) you learn that at the very ends of the pricing spectrum (both high and low) the seller is normally using price point selling tactics. Basically, that is, they know people will buy their product because it is the most expensive or the cheapest. More so at the high end, the most expensive items are not much better and if you do get any added benefit for the extra money spent its from stuff you dont need (e.g. lone wolf stands have that funny looking zig zag pattern on the platforms). What it boils down to is they know they want to have a very high priced product and they have to find ways to "justify" that price.

Typically the best thing you can do is purchase at the high end of the middle of the spectrum. You get all the same benefits without paying for the added frizz and promotion. These items are normally in a more mature stage in the product life cycle and are selling based on reputation and product quality not promotion and price point.

Using this logic you'll probably find yourself looking at the Summit stuff.

Anyways thats my 2 cents. Best of luck with your endeavors
Old 10-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Summit Viper XL...Like American Express, I never go into the deer woods without it.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Summit Viper, I like it a lot. I really have never heard any complaints from people about Summit stands. It is kind of heavy, 20 or 21 pounds, but that just means it is solid construction to me. I hunt public land so I hump the stand in with me everytime I go bowhunting, you get over it after a while. I am 5'10" and around 180 pounds, I lift weights regularly and think of myself as a larger person, but I could be wrong, anyways if I was much larger I think I would want to step up to the Goliath which is the same size stand for the most part but with a bigger seat I think or the Titan, which is a larger stand all around.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Like said search the forum and you will find all the info. Summit and LW will quickly be revealed as the leaders. The only thing I would add is if Summit has your interest try to find a backpacker model. They no longer make them but you can occasionally find on on Ebay. The fold flat which makes for easier travel..
Old 11-26-2009, 01:59 AM
Spike

Great stand here guys...best bowhunting stand on the market IMO. Free bump for ya man if I wouldnt have just picked another one of these up last week id have this one...thats right I traded a LW for a newer version of this stand. Packs small, quiet, light, durable, super stable and API are the best climbing stands out there.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

I would recommend a summit viper ss it is an awesome stand with lots of room.It is by far my favorate stand ever for bow and gun hunting.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I almost went for the Summit Viper but went for the Lone Wolf Sit & Climb Wide model and I'm glad. It packs in like a dream and it's quiet. I did switch out the seat for an Ol Man mesh seat, it's lighter, easier to climb with, more comfortable and less to setup. I also like it because the front climb bar folds up under the seat so there is nothing in the way for bowhunting. I also like the adjustability of the traction belts. Lone Wolf stands do cost more MSRP is $429 for this climber but with all the stuff I end up buying for hunting an extra $100 is worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.