Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Boot Question

Old 10-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Spike

Default Boot Question

Hi, im looking to buy a pair of boots for deer hunting. Ill be hunting in upstate ny mostly in november. The temp can range from 40 on a real warm day, to below zero on cold mornings. Im looking at 1200,1400,1600,2000 gram insilated boots. I want something that will keep my feet nice and toasty but dont want them to sweat while stalking. Also Im trying to decide bettween rubber knee highs or a lace up style. I dont know which is better then the other, I hear some of the lace ups can be warmer. Can you guys tell me what youd recomend for me. I dont need spacific brands or anything just how heavy of insulation and weather lace up or rubber are better.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Spike

I have 1400g lace up boots, for upstate PA hunting and they are the bomb, you don't want kneehighs. Just make sure they have a lot of toe room, thats what keeps your feet work, the extra room in the boot for warm air.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Northern WI, we hunt a similar temp. as you and at the same time of year. I have found that 400 gram insulation and 1 pair of medium socks works the best for me. It allow me to sit in the morning and walk in the afternoon without sweating too much.

However, what you prefer is what you should go with. I like taller boots for the support to the lower back (I walk a lot). Rubber bottoms with a leather laceable upper is about perfect.
Be careful of full rubber boots as they tend to not breath at all and will cause you to sweat more. Your feet need to be able to breath.

The best thing to do is go to the local sporting goods store and try on several pairs, walk around in them and see how heavy they are versus how heavy the insulation is.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Spike

I also hunt NY.I have a pair of 1200 gram Thinsulate with the outside being mostly GoreTex.As has already been mentioned,buy a pair at least 1 size bigger so you can move your toes.
I'll never buy another pair of Rocky boots.Last year the tread started to come off in chunks and they were only 3 years old.I've read that other guys have had the same problem with there Rocky boots.Some of there's were newer than mine and 2 guys were wearing new boots.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Though the temps I hunt in are much colder, I've used my boots from temps from 40 above to 40 below. Cabela's Inferno (2000 grams thinsolate). I picked up a pair of socks that are specially designed to wick the moisture away from the feet which work esp well when it is on the warmer side outside or it's a day when I'm going to do alot of walking. The boots are gortex and allow the moisture to leave very well. They are lace up pack boots with a fairly high arch so they are great to walk in but they are also real good when sitting in a stand for hours in -30 or so weather. They're in the $150 range and I believe well worth the price. I find my feet sweat more and it is alittle more difficult to walk all day in my rubber hunting boots (though when hunting in some swampy areas the rubber boots are the way to go). I suppose your hunting situation will dictate the way you choose. Best of luck finding the right boot because for me, cold or sore feet truly take away from a great hunt.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Fork Horn

what socks are they? do you remember brand? and type?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually bought them at Wal-mart. They were in the heavier sock area (with the wool and outdoor socks). They are marked as specially hunting socks but I'm sorry I don't remember the brand. They look as they would be very heavy from the outside but has a wicking layer sewed in. They look kind of hoaky (has pictures on them that look like moose/elk/something with antlers) but for 10 or 12 bucks (don't remember exactly) I can't believe how well they worked. I've seen very similar socks at some of the specialty hunting stores for 2 or 3 times the cost. Actually only picked up one pair but when I felt how well they worked, I went back and bought a couple more. Was in Wally world about a week ago and they are still stocking the same socks. Give them a try. You'll be surprised at how well they work.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 AM
Spike

Default Boots

Kennetrek "Northern" boots and "Darn Tough" socks. The boots are made in Montana and the socks in Vermont. For me, this is the only combination that will keep my feet warm.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Spike

thanks for the info im leaning toward a pair of 1400 or 1600 lace up boots.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

neaprine socks or sumthin...and they make a zipper and lace up in a single water resistant boot..i love em

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.