Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Lone Wolf Stands: Worth The Extra $$? >

Lone Wolf Stands: Worth The Extra $$?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Lone Wolf Stands: Worth The Extra $$?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CamoCop
ok here's what i don't understand. every good thing mentioned above i can also say about Summit's. Summit's are all welded, making them quiet in the woods, light weight, rock solid, comfortable AND $100-$150 cheaper than Lone Wolf's. ya'll keep buying those over priced LW's and leave the Summit's for me!
Here's what I don't understand. How can a stand platform with tubular (hollow) construction be as quiet as a stand with a solid platform? The other thing I don't understand is how can a stand with a coated cable strap grab the tree as securely as the traction belt of a LW? Just for the record, Summit has stands that are every bit as expensive as the LW, depending on which model you get.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CamoCop
ok here's what i don't understand. every good thing mentioned above i can also say about Summit's. Summit's are all welded, making them quiet in the woods, light weight, rock solid, comfortable AND $100-$150 cheaper than Lone Wolf's. ya'll keep buying those over priced LW's and leave the Summit's for me!
He wasn't asking about Summits.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dandbuck
Honestly if you've bought that many stands, then you already know why many are cheap, they squeak and rattle, heavy etc...
Wrong!

I bought more stands than that. I said I had 27 out at one time. Matter 'o fact, I just bought 3 ladder stands and another lock-on type stand... and will be buying another Ol'Man climber here most likely in the next 2 days. I don't buy stands because they're cheap. I buy these stands because I like them and they work. One stand that was squeaky for me was a Staghorn stand on a very very cold morning. I eventually had to kneel on the stand and re-adjust where it leaned against the tree. I wouldn't call API's, Loc-Ons, Ol'Mans, Summits and Predator stands "cheap", although I miss the Predators. I also purchased a $300+ Lone Wolf climber and can honestly say I'm not overly impressed with it. I like my Ol'Mans better. I just can't see or justify spending $200 on a fixed position stand when several others can do the same for less. I've since sold some stands and bought others... and I don't have any where close to that many stands out at once anymore. LOL! It gets expensive losing too many to thieves.

One stand I really liked was the API AL-50. It was small but extremely light. It was solid as a rock too. That and a few steps and I was in the tree in no time. I could go about 2 1/2 hours tops and I was done though. LOL!

There are cheap stands out there and I'm not interested in any of them. I want quality and all the amenities of a good stand, but without paying money that doesn't have to be paid out. Yeah, I'll have a LW fixed position stand. Most likely the Assault is the one I'll get, but we'll see. I want too many toys and at GunBroker a few more guns came up that are calling out to me. LOL!

I appreciate all the feedback, good and bad, about the Lone Wolfs. Since my post I have studied them more and will be going down to the local sporting goods store and look into them more thoroughly.

Thanks,

iSnipe
Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by early in
Here's what I don't understand. How can a stand platform with tubular (hollow) construction be as quiet as a stand with a solid platform? The other thing I don't understand is how can a stand with a coated cable strap grab the tree as securely as the traction belt of a LW? Just for the record, Summit has stands that are every bit as expensive as the LW, depending on which model you get.

1. as long as there are no parts to move like you get with bolted together stands, their will be no noise.

2. the coated cable or traction belt does not grip the tree. the stands work on leverage not "bite" like older blade using stands. ive been hunting with Summit's for over 3 years now and i have never had the stand slip or move while in the tree.

3. if justifying paying $400 for a stand helps you sleep, than so be it.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Spike

I have a LW Alpha along with the LW tree steps that I bought at the beginning of last season. I can honestly say I only hunted out of it 1 time, and I only lasted app. 2-2.5 hrs. on stand. By then my a$$ was killing me. The seat cushion provided is app. 1in. thick, and didn't do my behind justice. It has since been relegated to my practice stand behind my house. I'm going to sell it and buy another climber. as for the steps, they are nice and portable, but you have to watch the trees you put them in. I tried to hang them on a tree that was bigger around than I could reach, and fel off of the top rung of the first step. Not too high, but high enough to knock the wind out of me when I hit the ground. Good luck with the stand!!
JC-

Last edited by Hoyt_shooter02; 10-20-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hoyt_shooter02
I have a LW Alpha along with the LW tree steps that I bought at the beginning of last season. I can honestly say I only hunted out of it 1 time, and I only lasted app. 2-2.5 hrs. on stand. By then my a$$ was killing me. The seat cushion provided is app. 1in. thick, and didn't do my behind justice. It has since been relegated to my practice stand behind my house. I'm going to sell it and buy another climber. as for the steps, they are nice and portable, but you have to watch the trees you put them in. I tried to hang them on a tree that was bigger around than I could reach, and fel off of the top rung of the first step. Not too high, but high enough to knock the wind out of me when I hit the ground. Good luck with the stand!!
JC-
Glad you did not get hurt. Use a linemans belt for setting stands, works great. I also went with the UCR's from a guy at AT which work great and you can get longer ropes.

To each his own. Kind of like trucks, there's a reason there are more than one out there, people like different things.
Happy Hunting all.
Oh, and as far as the tubular frame compared to the solid frame, my guess is walking through the brush and hitting sticks is where the solid excells(sp). Although I switched to a Tree Saddle and LW sticks, and that's been a great combo for me. i have not done the whole day sit in it yet, but i will soon.
Dandbuck
Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Spike

im personally fond of ladder stand, to me they seem safer more sturdy and easier to get in to, as far as portable goes...they arnt all that much but thats what the 4 wheeler is for
Old 10-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Spike

I invested in a summit ultra this season and I have to say it is very comfortable to sit in for long periods and is easy to pack in and out. Very Satisfied
Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Well like you, two years ago I thought about buying one set of sticks and a Alpha Hang On stand. Now I have 7 of each !!

What do I like about them. First they are lightweight and easy to pack in. These stands are well thought out. Compared to the metal welded grate I used to use, these are made of one piece aluminum and have increased strength and will out last others even after being in the weather.

In addition, once they are set, they are rock solid. No noise and the sticks do not loosen over mutiple in and outs of your set. Seat height of these stands makes them very comforatable for those long sits.

All in all, I will never own anything other than a Lone Wolf stand. I will continue to add to the inventory over time as I do have a rather good chunk of land to hunt.

Do yourself a favor, buy one and use it, if you don't like it, PM me as I will guarantee that I will take it off your hands...
Old 10-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hoyt_shooter02
JC-
PM me if you are really interested in selling it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.