Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best Trail Cams

Old 10-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best Trail Cams

I know this has been debated before, but I know very little about the quality of the trail cams on the market, so I'm wondering what's everyone's perspective on this.

I'd like to have one that has IR.

Thanks for your input!

Roy
Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

it depends on what you want out of them...

to seriously scout out private/public land in a few areas...i would go for really high end quick trigger speed cams?

to get pics of animals in an area, but would be willing to get more cams with slower speed.. then get cams like stealth i590, i390 or moultries d40

to maximize the amount of areas you can scout, but even slower speeds...i would use the stealths 35mm cams

I personally use 8 35mm and 2 stealth i390's. i like to maximize my areas i can scout to see if and when the deer are in those areas and when they are moving around. this is all on public land. IR is overrated. I use flash on all my cams and ALWAYS see the deer around the general area i got pics of them in
Old 10-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check here:

http://www.trailcampro.com/reviews.aspx
Old 10-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

As has been stated, it depends on what you want out of a camera. I, like most, started out just wanting to know what type of deer were on my property. But as I got more into it, it morphed into it's own separate hobby. I found myself wanting to get better and better photographs. For me, this pretty much eliminated IR cameras because there are none that take good night-time photos. I own two Moultrie I-40s, a Reconyx, a Stealthcam I-590 and a homebrew. Of all the cameras, the homebrew takes the best quality photos. For overall performance, nothing comes close to the Reconyx. If the Reconyx took color night-time photos, it would be perfect. If you want a good quality camera with decent speed, you will have to spend in the neighborhood of $200.00. Some cameras in that price range include the Moultrie I-40, Scoutguard, Bushnell Trophycam, and the Cuddeback Capture, although you will want to stay away from the Capture IR. The night-time photos I have seen from the Capture IR are almost unviewable. A good site for camera reviews is www.chasingame.com and another great place for reviews and to purchase from is www.trailcampro.com. I have bought from trailcampro on several ocasions and their customer service is second to none. Check out the trailcam section on this site to get examples of photos from the various brands of cameras. Whatever you decide good luck, you will find that this will become a very addictive hobby.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 10-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Spike

BuckEye Cam. Fastest trigger times, stand alone or wireless, extra-long battery life, outstanding quality day or night, American made in Athens, Ohio, outstanding customer service (speak to a person in English). BuckEye has no peer on the trailcam market. They are somewhat expensive but in the end, you get what you pay for. 2 years use (2 cameras) and nary a complaint.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Spike

I personally prefer the moultrie cameras and specifically the IRs. My reason for the IR models is due to the long range of IR flash you don't get with a typical flash. Many occasions, I have had a deer in the foreground activate the camera only to find more deer/bucks in the background that a typical flash wouldn't have reached. I also would recommend you to stay away from the Wildview cameras. I have had nothing but problems with these cameras. I would really like for someone out there to prove me different.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by firefighter1976
I personally prefer the moultrie cameras and specifically the IRs. My reason for the IR models is due to the long range of IR flash you don't get with a typical flash. Many occasions, I have had a deer in the foreground activate the camera only to find more deer/bucks in the background that a typical flash wouldn't have reached. I also would recommend you to stay away from the Wildview cameras. I have had nothing but problems with these cameras. I would really like for someone out there to prove me different.
The Moultrie's have a longer battery life as well. I'm getting another one this year. Best for the money..IMO
Old 10-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've spent thousands of dollars on dozens of the most popular cams to "see for myself" what really was supreme. From Moultie, Stealth, 3 different Cuddebacks, a few Leaf Rivers.... you name it, I've probably tried one.

Thus far, NOTHING compares to the Reconyx! Super fast trigger, excellent image quality, excellent battery life, overall best set up.... period. My only regret is that I wasted a ton of money on al the other cams instead of buying more Reconyx models!
Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Spike

Default stealth cam and cuddeback

i have a stealth cam prowler infrared and a cuddeback capture with flash. the cuddeback has a faster trigger speed(catch deer in mid stride) but the stealth cam is very reliable to especially in burst mode the infra red pictures are pretty good quality also.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Cudde IR watching my deerstand. some dag on thieves around here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.