Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

gutting knife ques...

Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Outdoor Edge knife called the Pocket Hook it's a Lockblade with the gut hook. It stays sharp (I touch it up with a steel) and I have field dressed quite a few deer with it. It's slim, light and doesn't take up much room in my pack. Lifetime Guarantee too. $35-$40

Old 11-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

"Old Timer" by Schrade
Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

My favorite hunting knife was made by G96 in about 1970. That blade will take an edge like a razor and hold it. Have field dressed, skinned and cut up as many as three deer with that knife without sharpening it.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Spike

A couple of years ago my wife got me this Cutco knife for Christmas. I swear by this knife. I have field dressed 9 deer with this knife and it is still as sharp as the day it was new.They (Cutco) said if it ever goes dull, just send it back. What I really like about this knife it the type of serrated edge. It helps to make the job much cleaner. Once you get all the guts out and are going in for the pumpstation, this knife will cut or saw right through the ribcage to make the job much easier and cleaner. Especially for cutting the connective tissue when field dressing, by using just the tip of this knife it is like using a brand new razor. http://www.cutco.com/products/produc...itemGroup=5718

Last edited by buckinbowhunter; 12-10-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

I use the outdoor edge swing blade and love it. It really cuts down on time and makes field dressing really easy. There is no worry of it coming unlocked and cutting you. They are on sale now at Cabelas...
Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Spike

For gutting I like the old USA scrade 154 drop point for skinning I'm kinda getting attached to and old 498 shrade
Old 12-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am partial to my Buck Alpha Hunter with the gut hook. It has an ATS-34 blade that holds an edge and resharpens easily. Its pretty much the only knife I carry for hunting anymore. If you shop around you can find it under your price limiit.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Spike

As long as you can keep a good edge on the knife it don't matter. My wife bought me a $15 knife at kmart, it has cleaned 7 deer and 2bear. All I do is keep it sharp.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buck Folding HUnter. Have had it for 30 some years. Keeps and edge and is strong. Just saw them advertised $20
Old 12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by semi
For years i have been using cheap knives to gut deer in the field. (only did one deer so far) I am looking to get a better knife that will last longer and work better. I am not planning on spending much because i believe a good knife can be had for under $75 for this use. It must be fixed blade for me.

Looking for opinions on;

what do you guys suggest as far as blade length for field dressing deer. I have seen suggestions on 4" blades but for some reason that seems to be too much but then again maybe not.

what type of blade style "drop point" "clip" etc...

and if anyone can suggest a knife let me know.

right now i use whatever i find in my pack. Usually it's a clip point fixed knife which i am not to pleased with. The blade gets dull quickly, and the thickness was way too much.
semi

been almost 3 months share with us what you bought and how u like it

Ted