HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Does it matter how fast your arrows are for expandables? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/304169-does-matter-how-fast-your-arrows-expandables.html)

dvallilee 09-18-2009 10:13 PM

Does it matter how fast your arrows are for expandables?

I shoot a BuckMaster 2000.I pull 52lbs and have a 29"DL.I'm not sure how fast my arrows travel.I would say at least 220fps.I bought the bow because it's suppose to be easier to shoot and more forgiving.Brace height is 7 and a half inches and it's a single cam.
I use to hunt with a recurve but I lost my right eye and I'm right handed so I had to go with a compound.
I've killed 5 deer with it all with Muzzy BH.They don't group as well as FP but they are close.
I would say I learned 85% about bowhunting from reading this site.You guys are great and have taught me alot.I have asked alot of questions and have always got help from you.
I have been gun hunting deer for 42 years but bowhunting is alot more fun.Thanks again for all your help.

iSnipe 10-13-2009 06:50 PM

Most expandables should have directions on the minimum feet-per-second on the package if it's a concern. If I were shooting about 220fps, I'd opt for a smaller style head; something like the Rocket Mini-blaster or Wolverine, because I think it would take less energy to get a smaller head to operate more easily than something larger in it's class. Last time I shot a mini-Rocket I 'bout cut a grey squirrel completely in half.

iSnipe

Northport buckslayr 10-14-2009 12:29 PM

I dont think fps is as important as kinetic energy, which involves speed and arrow weight. I would recomend going to a good shop and having your arrow weighed and bow chronographed. With that you can go online and figure out your KE. Personally if your under fifty I wouldn't shoot a mechanical. If your 50-60 modest mechs with 1.5 or under cutting diameters will work, if your over 60 you can probably shoot whatever you want.

If you have a lower KE and want field point flight their are heads that tune easily like slick trick, Nitron, Phathead, or ABC sonics. However you should be able to get the muzzies flying like filed points by broadhead tuning which is a hole other ball of wax!

halfbakedi420 10-14-2009 01:23 PM

im movin at 252fps and they werk fine, although id rather have a fixed

beprepn8 11-29-2009 04:55 PM

Up to about 250 fps fixed heads usually group well taking away the main reason to shoot mechanicals.

I think I'd stick with fixed heads ... in fact my strategy is to shoot a heavy enough arrow that I stay below 250fps in order to be able to shoot fixed heads.

I also like the extra penetration from the extra momentum of shooting a heavier arrow - the only down side is needing to know the range more accurately.

buckwild41 11-29-2009 06:14 PM

Beprepn8 pretty much sumed it up.. Speed is nice but weight is what tranfer the energy and hold the speed during impact. 250fps seem to be the magic number for me and fixed heads. No worries, they work and theres less to go wrong.

Sniper151 12-04-2009 05:02 PM

I agree Northport, kinetic energy should be the prime concern with mechanicals.