Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Lone Wolf Hand Climber!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Spike

Default Lone Wolf Hand Climber!!!

I got a real good deal on a Lone Wolf climbing stand at the end of last season. I have 2 of their Alpha Hang On stands and like them alot. I took the climber out today to try it out. Now, just to let you know I have been climbing with climbers for 20 years and have used several different brands, so I am familiar with climbing. I have been using a Summit Viper for several years and love it, except for the cumbersome packing and carrying. Now the Lone Wolf, it SUCKS!!! The platform is great, but the little hand climber seat was terrible!!! I tried using my elbows, I tried sitting in the strap that they send, I even tried putting it way over my head and doing pull ups!! It just flat out sucks period!!! There is no way that I would take this stand out to hunt, it is dangerous, slow, and loud. I had one about 6 years ago that was the first sit and climb and I was not all that impressed with it either. The bar you sit on swings you into the tree and crowds you, forcing you to take 6 inch strides up the tree. Again the platform is great, but why can they not make a top that has a bar you can sit on while you climb and not be forced into the tree (fixed out front like Summit)? When I sit on the bar of the Summit I can climb so much quieter and take way longer strides up or down the tree. I Understand that they want the bar to fold away on the sit and climb, but could they not fix it to lock into position to sit on and fold out of the way when you get up there? The bar out front does not bother me anyway and I mostly bow hunt. I would love to have the new wide sit and climb if there was a way to fix the bar into a fixed position to sit on. Has anyone else ever used both styles of stands and experienced what I am talking about? Sorry I just had to vent! This is suspose to be the Cadillac of stands!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Spike

i understand your grief! but if you use it a few times it gets easier. i put my forearms on the seat and keep my body close to the tree when climbing, that seams to be the best way to climb the tree. i do use me asualt and climbing sticks most of the time though. i can go up a tree just as fast with that set up. good luck!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

I taught my girlfriend how to use my LW hand climber a couple of weekends ago and she had no problem. It was her 1st time using any stand in her life. I had a Summit Viper and I hated how noisy it was and the sunk in sling seat. I feel the Lone Wolf seat is comfy, but then again I have an iron butt and can put all dayers in on a Harley.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

I had problems with mine at first. Ater a couple climbs the only noise you would hear is the stand pressing the bark of the tree.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Fork Horn

I used my hand climber the first time last wknd. I didnt use the seat strap to assist. I zipped up the tree no problem, quick an quiet. Found it way easier an quicker then my ViperSS to setup an climb. How much you want for it?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

I'll buy it. I have one and love it. What do you want for it??
Old 09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Spike

I purchased the Lone Wolf Alpha hand climber three seasons ago. Like you, I found the climbing method to be far too gymnastic: I devised a method where I sat on the seat and dragged the platform up using the straps, but this was still a pain. This was before the strap that Lone Wolf now includes to provide a form of "sit and climb", so I don't know what that is like.

Furthermore, I found the hand climber seat to be horribly uncomfortable. I added a pad over the standard seat pad, but it was still uncomfortable.

However, I loved the light weight and compactness of the stand, so I ended up purchasing the seat portion of a "Sit n Climb" (about $140 at the time). I have been very well pleased with the stand (essentially a "Sit n Climb" model) since that time: it is still compact and light weight, but it is now easy to climb with (I do not have any issues with swinging into the tree) and sufficiently comfortable for my typical 3-4 hour hunts.

Most of my hunting is from ladder stands or, occasionally, a pop-up ground blind, so the Lone Wolf is not a major part of my hunting. However, I am glad that I have it and have no intention of searching out a different climbing stand.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Spike

I'm 56 years old and have no problem. Had it for several years before they included those straps, so I have never used them. Are you overweight and/or out of shape? When you get a stand that is 14 lbs, you sacrafice something for the lightweight and compactness. I also have a Summit Viper, but depending on the situation or distance i'm packing, If I could only have one stand, I'd keep my LW hand climber.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Spike

I have literarly hunted out of nearly every climber ever made and the hand climber on the lone wolf is a POS its that simple.The seat sucks (not comfy) They have a cool platform but it stops there. Buy a summit open shot top to go with their platform if you ahve to have it. I personally think it is over rated and over priced for what you are getting. The thing is once you pay 350 buck for a climber you have to justify all the short comings.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Spike

I don't care if it is great or it sucks, for me it is a price issue. NO F'ING WAY that little pad and platform is worth what they are charging....PERIOD!!! $370 dollars for a pad and platform???? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!

Lone Wolf stands are over priced. But this is America, and people love paying too much for crap in this country. I will stick with brands that offer quality products for a reasonable price. Quite frankly, I don't know how Lone Wolf stands are still on the market. I can only assume that selling fewer products, but hammering the consumer on them is profitable enough to stay in business. Works for some car companies i guess.......

Last edited by stancel; 09-22-2009 at 05:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.