HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Under Armour Cold Gear (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/302641-under-armour-cold-gear.html)

TK0205 09-04-2009 10:13 PM

Under Armour Cold Gear

I'm looking to buy a base layer to help me stay warm during bow/gun hunting in Wisconsin. Is the Under Armour Cold gear really THAT much better?? Is it worth the price?? Other suggestions of more effective or cheaper comparable alternatives?

natimage 09-04-2009 10:37 PM

Yes, yes, Yes! There are other brands that make similar products for a little cheaper, I've never used them so can't speak to their effectiveness, but UA works GREAT! Being from Wisconsin also I use it for running, hunting, fishing, snowboarding, everything! The greatest advantage is that if you sweat on your way to the stand it will wick it away so you you don't freeze once you sit. I LOVE mine and don't hunt gun or late season without my compression pants and mock turtle neck on.

iSnipe 09-05-2009 12:11 AM

I do not have any personal experience with it, so the following is just my opinion...

I don't believe it's much better than what's already out there... especially at the elevated prices. Silk, poly-wool combinations, polypropylene, poly-products, Thermastat and the likes are all proven moisture wicking clothes that work. I believe if you wear any decent moisture-wicking clothing next to your skin, it will help you keep that much warmer due to it NOT collecting the sweat/moisture from your body. Water cools 20x faster than air, so keeping your base layers dry is very important in keeping warm.

Also, I do not like how UA hugs your body tight. I don't like the feel of snug clothing. I also think if your clothes are a little loose, it will help trap warm air.

I'm in N. Minnesota and have experienced some incredibly cold winters and polypropylene has served my well. I also try to get one size larger and in Tall because they shrink and the extra length gives me something to tuck in.

Now if someone were to foot the bill, I'd give UA a try and give yah my experience on that. LOL!

Good hunting.

iSnipe

allmightyhunter13 09-05-2009 05:56 AM

ive been looking at it for a while. Ill prob end up getting a pair, from what i hear tho they are suppossed to be pretty good

Ava 09-05-2009 10:14 AM

I just picked up my Rocky Compression Thermals from WalMart.com Site-To-Store yesterday and I can't wait to try them out. I bought them for much cheaper than the UA but I was eyeing the UA up. I believe I paid right under 30 bucks for the shirt and the pants.

Hope it does the job. I hate being cold!

BigBuck95 09-05-2009 01:10 PM

Under Armour is definatly worth the price. Its kind of thick in a way but it keeps you real warm when its cold. Of course, it's not like you can go out in the mock t-neck and compression pants and be warm, but it provides a good base layer.
:cool2:

Canned Heat 09-05-2009 09:26 PM

I live in SE WI, hunt in northern WI & CAN. I also officiate HS football into November where the temps can get pretty brutal. I was reluctant like most for quite some time until 3 years ago I bit the bullet and got the UA Cold Gear base layer top and bottom. Yes, they're tight fitting and yes, they're expensive....but I would buy these again tomorrow if my set were stolen or missing. Honestly one of the best investments I've made in regards to my hunting or outdoors activities to date. I tried everything there was under the sun prior to that and it was either bulky layers or non-wicking that would end up being the culprit.

Worth every penny IMO.

Valentine 09-06-2009 08:06 AM

Lordy

I just washed out pairs of old polypropylene insulated underwear.

I think I heard that when they went from insulated underwear, the price jumped.