Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scent Wafers

Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 AM
Spike

I do that for sure, its just when I am 20' in the tree and the dirt is on the ground it really does not help me. So I always carry one of those on me.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Exocet77
I stored wafers in my bin with my clothing. Scent is way to strong. I aired them out, tried washing them and eventually took them to the dry cleaners. The smell was still to powerful. Ended up buying new camo clothes. If the smell to potent for me, im sure a deer would have no problem sniffing me out with such a strong odor.

On the other hand, I have had luck using the Doe Heat wafer stuck to a branch as well as the apple.

I just wouldnt recommend storing them or the earth wafer with your gear.
I use the wafers for camo storage only after using them externally out in the woods for a full season, that tones down the scent quite a bit .
Old 09-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Spike

I've used the earth scent and doe in estrous wafers.The only one I still use is the earth scent.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Spike

I think these things are the most ridiculous of all the ridiculous scent cover offerings. The first time I seen a hunter with one of these things hanging on his hat on a hunting show I had to have a little laugh. Nothing says "I'm guillable" more than a scent wafer hanging off your head.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

i've used the earth scented ones quite a bit... and have had a deer once or twice directly downwind and not notice anything. that being said, theres no substitute for keeping the wind in your favor as much as humanly possible.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Spike

I use earth scent and store my gear in an ATV carry bag with one wafer open in it. I do one other thing that I truly believe helps to tone down some of the earth scent and that is to break off a live pine limb and rub the needles on my trousers, shirt (or coat) and boots (including the bottom of the boots). Does it work? I suppose it does because I have had deer all around me while in a stand many times. So yes, it works.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

I use the Earth scent wafers as well. Working the wind, scent elimination products. It all helps. I have had a number of deer within 10-15 feet this year and they had no idea.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dooittoit
I think these things are the most ridiculous of all the ridiculous scent cover offerings. The first time I seen a hunter with one of these things hanging on his hat on a hunting show I had to have a little laugh. Nothing says "I'm guillable" more than a scent wafer hanging off your head.
How do you figure? So if you use cover scents you are gullible? Coon and Fox urine? How does the delivery system of such a scent matter?