Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scent Wafers

Old 09-01-2009, 05:55 AM
Spike

Default Scent Wafers

Anyone use them, and if so which scent?

Just wondering the effectiveness of them?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

I use earth scent. I put gear in a airtight bin with the earth scent wafers and some freshly cut pine limbs. I have had my clothes in the bin for 3 weeks now and they will remain there until I hunt. I put on my gear and leave the wafers in the bin. The scent wafers are strong smelling and the scent that saturated my gear is enough of a cover scent. I always take a spray bottle of scent eliminator (fall scent or earth scent)with me when I hunt and spray down my hair,face, neck and all exposed skin every hour and a half or so, more if I am sweating. I have had deer all over me and they never knew I was there since beginning this regimen. I also get dressed in the woods and change before leaving the woods- placing all my gear back in my bin except my T-shirt, socks and underwear. Alot of guys stop at the gas station or diner wearing their gear and then they track oil, gasoline, grease or food odors into the woods with them. There was guy who hunted in our club, he would sit in the lodge for hours while bacon was fried and onions.. you name it. I asked him if he was sure he wanted to remain in his gear, his answer... It will be alright, I spray down before I get in my stand. Good to know... I'll be hunting the other side of the property.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used earth scent, but couldn't tell you one way or the other if they helped. I keep my clothes stored with leaves, sticks and dirt to get that real, natural smell on them.

On a side note, I think I may begin producing some scent free wafers. Pretty sure I will make a killing...they have absolutely ZERO scent! Let me know if you want some at an initial rate before the price goes up.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only use the Earth scent wafers
Old 09-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Thumbs up

I've tried out nearly every scent disc that has come out at one time or another, the only one I still use is the Fresh Earth scent. It's more convenient than a spray, and doesn't get my clothing all wet.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never rely on commercial cover scents. I just do the basics. I try to keep my clothes and body as scent free as possible and I always hunt the wind.

If I am upwind of deer, no matter what cover/spray scent/eliminator I use, IMO, I will be busted because it is impossible to be scent free and the nose on that deer is just too good. Downwind from deer and chances are very good, that deer will not smell me.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Spike

I use the earth scent wafers. I hang one on my hat, my tree stand and put one in my bow case, and in my hunting bag with my clothes. The first two days I hang them outside with the wafers on them and let the scent die down a little, because they are a little potant at first, and then go from there. the wafers usually last me about two seasons. try it. I think it works great. I have had deer walk up on me in the totally wrong wind on a very hot day in October while hunting in Ohio and they laid dow for about an hour or so. thid has happened several times. I beleive in the wafers!
Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never understood the idea that you sit in the outdoors, dirt everywhere, and you pay for a 3" wafer that is suppose to smell like dirt and that is suppose to cover scent?????? Just hunt the wind, it works.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

I stored wafers in my bin with my clothing. Scent is way to strong. I aired them out, tried washing them and eventually took them to the dry cleaners. The smell was still to powerful. Ended up buying new camo clothes. If the smell to potent for me, im sure a deer would have no problem sniffing me out with such a strong odor.

On the other hand, I have had luck using the Doe Heat wafer stuck to a branch as well as the apple.

I just wouldnt recommend storing them or the earth wafer with your gear.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Spike

I here what you are saying. They are sometimes really strong. Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't. I have never had any bad luck with them. I mean of course it is all personal preference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.