HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Ammo is confusing me! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/302125-ammo-confusing-me.html)

aharley1 08-31-2009 05:46 AM

Ammo is confusing me!

I went into Bass Pro this weekend. They have Remington 30-06 ammo ranging from $19.00 to $38.00 a box. Is there really that much difference? They both had a range of bullets available (150 gr - to 180). I'd like to get a consistant brand/bullet weight to practice with and hunt with, but $38.00 a box is steep.

jrbsr 08-31-2009 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by aharley1 (Post 3425064)
I went into Bass Pro this weekend. They have Remington 30-06 ammo ranging from $19.00 to $38.00 a box. Is there really that much difference? They both had a range of bullets available (150 gr - to 180). I'd like to get a consistant brand/bullet weight to practice with and hunt with, but $38.00 a box is steep.

You might want to get a reloader, and reload your own.
Then you can custom load for your rifle.
And shoot a lot cheaper too.

JMHO

Sniggle 08-31-2009 06:13 AM

If your typical shot is 150 yards or less, any of the name brand 150 grain 30-06 rounds will do all that you need for deer hunting (Such as Remington Core-Lok). Save your money and buy the cheaper rounds, sight in your rifle with those rounds, and you will be a deer killing machine.

If you are shooting more than 150 yards, then you may need to experiment with different rounds to get the accuracy you require.

SWThomas 08-31-2009 06:15 AM

I would just get the regular CoreLokt's for deer. I don't see any need for A-Frames or Ultra Bonded bullets.

skb2706 08-31-2009 06:22 AM

Unless you're planning on hunting something much larger than the typical FL big game, I'd shoot the cheapest accurate ammo you can find. If you are planning a big game hunt, once in a lifetime, possiblity of getting a very large trophy you might want to spend the money. Otherwise premium bullets and high end factory ammo is way over rated.

RugerM77.270 08-31-2009 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by skb2706 (Post 3425091)
Unless you're planning on hunting something much larger than the typical FL big game, I'd shoot the cheapest accurate ammo you can find. If you are planning a big game hunt, once in a lifetime, possiblity of getting a very large trophy you might want to spend the money. Otherwise premium bullets and high end factory ammo is way over rated.

+1
Ammo companies always offer bigger and better but for deer it isn't needed. Just get some cor-lokts, powerpoints, or the like in 150 or 165 gr and start shooting paper. If they shoot good in your rifle go kill a deer with it. Deer are pretty simple to kill if you put the bullet inthe right spot.

nchawkeye 08-31-2009 06:47 AM

I bought 4 boxes of CoreLokts at Dick's last week for $14.48, plus the Remington rebate of $2.50 a box...That's $11.98 per box...

aharley1 08-31-2009 07:19 AM

Thanks guys.
I wish we had a Dick's near here!! $17+ at Wally world is the cheapest I've found.
I have some Nitrex @ $21 a box

Valentine 08-31-2009 07:25 AM

Confusion and Confusion

No body explains.

Some hunters have no idea on the market for ammunition. Newbies even worse.

Some hunters have no idea that there has been a shortage and a tightening of available handload components. Like little or none.

Companies are attempting to survive in a recession, high metal prices, and an over demand for ammo and components.

And some newbies, most newbies, have no clue how to make a judgment on products. Like taking a lot of newbies to their first prom.

It's a real mess out there. They can see some kind of problem, but fail to understand the ramifications.

Chaos and the newbie. Life is sometimes tough.

kevin1 08-31-2009 08:44 AM

I've had a set of .45 ACP dies on backorder for two months now, and even if I finally get them I may end up having to mold my own bullets to keep the cost down. :bash: