Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Homemade treestands

Old 08-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Spike

Question Homemade treestands

Has anyone ever made one ? If so do yall have the plans for them ?
Old 08-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Spike

When I was young and scoutted with older hunters. All stands were made of wood. Primarily 2x4 or the like nailed to trees, taht was in WI. Now 15+ yrs later, in MO, this is not legal. I thought of rigging something up goin kinda off my gorilla premade. But haven't really actively tried. Getting in the woods now and then for scouts seems to be enough for me atm. 2 1/2 weeks til seaons yet.....
Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ah, the old days

When most tree stands, seen by me decades ago, were invented by people with carpentry skills, semi-professional or professional. Made of wood products, back then.

Now we have different product tree stand. Made of steel or aluminum. Welded by a professional welder. Little chance for the modern itinerant hunter to learn those skills. More country club hunters, to let the professional, do the manual workings.

And companies get to charge good. Especially to cover the insurance for potential accidents, suffered by the itinerant hunter.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Thumbs down

Considering the low cost of manufactured stands the risks involved with using a home made stand just aren't worth it. Unless you can build one that looks like this:

I'd just go buy one...
Old 09-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Spike

I've made 5 of them.The first 3 I had 15' regular wooden ladders and that made them easier to build.
On them I took 8' 2 x 4's and cut them in half.I then used decking screws and screwed the 2x4's on the outside on top of the ladders.That added strength and width.
You will want to put about a 12 to 15 degree angle on the platform so the ladder is not straight up and down.
I made the outside of the platform out of 2x4's also.Then I drilled holes large enough for #8 bolts for the supports I put on each side,connecting the platform to the ladder.#8 bolts are the strongest I could find.They are stronger than stainless steel.They were about 8 dollars each and I used 4 on each stand.Each stand cost under 40 dollars for the materials.The 2 stands I made without actual ladders also were nice.I had 1 stolen,so I guess I was'nt the only one who liked them.
I wish I knew how to add pictures because it would be alot easier to show you that way.It's alot easier to make them than it may sound here.The stands are also very strong.I trust my life in them.
I also screwed in eye bolts at the top and used a ratchet strap to tighten it to the tree.

Last edited by dvallilee; 09-01-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Fork Horn

We made 4 homemade blinds, we take 2x4 and make the frame with them by nail or screw them into the trees. ( alll the trees we use are hedge) Then put couple cross braces in the center. Then get some 2x6 and nail to the top of 2x4 and your floor is done. For walls we use 2x4 for the frame again and then get some Ply wood . We always put a roof on them to just use 2x4 and Ply wood again for that. Squirrels and coons love to use the stand too .
Old 09-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Spike

kevin1 has the right idea!!! Hopefully that tree stand comes w/ sat t/v. I would hunt out of that all day!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a sketch plan for a wooden ladder, with dimensions and I think a material list. Think I still do. If I can find it, I will glady share. I made mine from pressure treated yellow pine and 3/4" pressure treated plywood. Some of these have been up sind the mid 1980's and are still in excellent shape. Send me a snail mail address or I can scan to an e-mail address.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:15 AM
Spike

http://www.pabucks.com/treestandplan...treestand.html

you will find what you need right here in the left column of the site you will see homemade treestand plans are there