Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 best cammo for ground hunting. >

best cammo for ground hunting.

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

best cammo for ground hunting.

Old 05-12-2003, 10:33 PM

Default best cammo for ground hunting.

Years ago I purchased a outfit from Rancho Saffari. The suit is a Gilley suit 9snyper outfit) I have killed many deer useing this outfit. If you want to become part of the terain I think this is the best way to go. I have had deer turkey squirls people practically step right on top of me while wearing this outfit. I use it bow hunting. This is as close as one can get to a genuine Military snyper outfit. I made some adjustments on mie. I unraveled the burlap to give it a stringy look to try to get it as close to a military outfit as possable. The reason I have posted this is I see a lot of people talking about camo and asking for info on what works the best. I have been hunting for twenty five years and for hunting on the ground I like this outfit the best. I had a guy try to sit 3 feet away from me to hunt one evening and he never knew I was there till I scared the holly bajesus out of him. I laughed for the rest of the evening you should of seen the look on his face when I said hey buddy you think your hunting a little close. If any one wants to take a look at what Rancho has to offer You can find there website by going to ask.com (ask jeeves) the type in rancho saffari and then go to the site. If any of you like to hunt on the ground check it out. PS does any one know of any other camo that works on the ground please responed I have not tried any other yet. I have more camo the regular close I have more room for camo.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: best cammo for ground hunting.

I do agree that a bush rag ghillie makes for unbeatable concealment , I have one too . But I' d have to think that it might get a bit warm in there during early bow seasons . I got mine for $80 from Sportsmans Guide over a year ago , and the danged winter was too warm to use it ! I also found the garment restricted movement somewhat and was a bit heavy . It did come in handy at Halloween , scares the sh** out of the kids ... I attached leaf silhouettes cut from Advantage fabric to impart a more 3-d effect . The leaf cut style ghillie is probably a little more practical for hunters , unless they' re hunting each other .
Old 05-13-2003, 12:28 PM

Cabelas makes a light weight Ghillie suit that' s awesome. It' s not a coat it' s a shirt and pants. It just like wearing a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt. They' re really comfortable and very light. On www.cabelas.com there' s a suit called the Sleeping Indian and it' s pretty nice too. It' s a little warmer though.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

[8D]Thanks bspittman , I checked out Cabelas and that Sleeping Indian does look pretty spiffy . In fact , it looks somewhat like the early ghillies , they were constructed with cloth strips too . The sleeping Indian is made from wool however , and might be slightly warm . I get plenty of insulation from my chemical suit , have you tried those ? I' ll never pay for Scentlok while they are available . I' ve had deer walk within feet of me , turkeys too . Not bad for plain ol' Woodland .
Old 05-13-2003, 02:10 PM

On the gilley suit being warm if you have the burlap style I found it to help a bit to unravel the burlap it helps with blending in with the terain better and also helps air to go through the burlap betterThe only down side to this is it takes quite a while do accomplish this. .( I do have to admit they are a bit warm I usually put mine on when I get to where Im going). I also wanted to let you guys and (girls) know that the sportsmeans guide carries chemical suits pants and jackets for only 13.00 they are water proof and also have charcoil lined inside the exact same thing that some people buy for 100' s of dollars(sent loc suit). the only thing is they are warm. If you want a thinner scent suit try the british chem suit it runs about the same price, the thicker one is the US mill chem suit. when you get them from sportmans guide they are wrapped in a air tight aluminum package just like they issue them out to the soilders . The only thing you have to do is wash it once before you wear it the charcole lineing has a black charcole dust from the shipping etc. I emagine most of you know about these suits but for those of you who dont you might want to check them out. There is a bow shop in town and he sells the exact same suit for $100.00 for ($13.00 a person cant go wrong if any thing you can use it for hunting in the rain and drizzle) or just use it for a rain coat.. Keep the info comeing I did not know about the new suits. Take Care and GOD BLESS!
Old 05-13-2003, 08:13 PM

Y' all dont need to go out and buy a Ghille Suit... You can make on for a lot less and make it heavier, warmer, lighter, cooler, whatever you want.... Whereas their suits a Thick and heavy, no variance. Email me at [email protected] if you would like plans on how to make your own Ghille Suit.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Buckeyemike , I already knew about Sportsmans Guide and the chem suits . I own 2 at present , and love them . I also had the British version early on , and they' re not as warm as the US version . You can also find them at bargainoutfitters.com , which is a sister site to SG . I got my last 2 sets for $3.85 each from there ! It sometimes pays to keep checking . Hi Washington Hunter , thanks for the offer . Having assembled one ghillie I doubt that I' d want to do it again . It took me over 3 hours just to assemble the head cover on my present one . Our Southern Indiana fall is frequently too warm for ghillies anyway other than open mesh styles .
Kevin
Old 05-14-2003, 09:36 AM

Buckeye Mike. If you were from florida, I would say the guy you scared was ME.
Actually, I did walk up on a guy who was wearing one of those outfits and I know I looked directly at him several times as I approached but I never made him out.
He raised his arm when I got within 10 ft. of him and I about soiled my britches.[]
I dont own any of these outfits but they do seem to blend you in better than anything I have seen. Dont know how they would be shooting a bow with all that
bulk but its worth a try[8D]
Old 05-14-2003, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

For deer i hunt around 95% from the ground and for my area i have found Predator Camo to be simply awesome. I have had many a deer right on top of me. I think a key is to find a location that offers good backing and with the predator camo to break up your outline it makes it even better. Since I rifle hunt from the ground and we can' t wear camo, I have learned that backing and lay of the land is key to concealing your location...BTW I rarley make a ground blind I just let nature help me out and choose a spot that affords me good sight windows and concealment.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Hi benhuntin and skeeter 7mm !
' Preciate those ground tips skeeter , I use many of the same , and I usually hunt from either an Ameristep pop up blind or still hunt . Trees are for squirrels . benhuntin , as Buckeyemike pointed out earlier , most ghillies require some modification for bow hunters . This usually involves trimming the strings down on the bowstring side , and sometimes the armguard area to avoid interference . The string ghillies are particularly notorious for this . They are hard to beat for concealment , as you noted in your post . LMAO , by the way . The lightweight ghillies that Buckeyemike mentioned having seen in Cabelas look mighty fine , but you' d have to have a budget bigger than mine to afford them . You can get bush rag ghillie kits from Sportsmans Guide for about $80 , but be prepared to spend some (long) time putting it together .

Quick Reply: best cammo for ground hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.