Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Has anyone used this rangefinder? >

Has anyone used this rangefinder?

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Has anyone used this rangefinder?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Spike

Default Has anyone used this rangefinder?

I was looking at the Sportman's Guide catalog.They have a Wildgame Innovations Halo 600 yard laser rangefinder.It's water and fogproof and has a scan mode for multiple targets.Clear LCD readout and 6x magnification.It sells for $99.97.
I need a rangefinder for bow hunting mostly.I have an older bow that is very accurate but it's not a fast bow.When the deer are out to 30 to 40 yds I start to have trouble guessing the correct range.I hunt quite a few different area's.Clear cut to heavy brush,flat land to very hilly.
If this rangefinder could do that for me,I would be happy.I don't have alot of money and it would save me 100 dollars.Thanks for any opinions.
Would I be twice as happy spending twice as much,buying a Nikon Prostaff 550?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not 100% certain but my guess is that it's made in China crap that will last for..........................................a day or two. I'd stick with known name brands.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Spike

Don't waste your money as stated in post they are chinese maid. For a few dollars more you can buy a good one fron nikon or bushnell. Nikons are better quality,little more $. Bushnells are pretty good for the price especially the compacts. I have te older version Bushnell 400 had it for years and it still works fine. There is a big difference in the optics though the nikon.s have much better optics.I still own and use a TLR-75. Though it is not a laser rangfinder it works well for me and it is compact.Just my 2cts.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Spike

Cableas has the Bushnell 450 for $120
Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TNpreacher
Cableas has the Bushnell 450 for $120
I own this and it works great for the money! I wouldn't trust the other.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Spike

Default The Halo is crap

I had the chance to take a look at one of the "Halo" models at the last gun show. I wasn't impressed. The thing not only looked cheap, but even felt cheap. Just as a quick test, I ranged it against a demo Nikon at the same table and the Halo was 18 yards off against the Nikon. I don't bow hunt anymore, but you'll never hit anything where the range is 18 yards off what you think it is.

I've got an older Bushnell 440 (not bowhunter model) that I've used for years, and it hasn't let me down so far.

Just my .02 cents worth on the Halo.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:33 AM
Spike

I would absolutely go with Nikon. I have been very pleased with their rangefinder. Wildgame Innovations is very new and they're trying to make a product for every segment of the hunting industry. They have no knowledge or experience in optics and I wouldn't buy anything from them.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Spike

I have an older Bushnell scout. Works great but seems that range finders in general eat through batteries pretty quick. I've become accustomed to always removing the battery out of mine after every hunt. I also be sure to pack an extra. Just something to watch for.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 2bowhunter
Don't waste your money as stated in post they are chinese maid. For a few dollars more you can buy a good one fron nikon or bushnell. Nikons are better quality,little more $. Bushnells are pretty good for the price especially the compacts. I have te older version Bushnell 400 had it for years and it still works fine. There is a big difference in the optics though the nikon.s have much better optics.I still own and use a TLR-75. Though it is not a laser rangfinder it works well for me and it is compact.Just my 2cts.
That's a bit bias, I got one of these and it's the XRT model, so far so good. I had a Tasco one that was twice the price and this one was more consistent in picking out the yardage, give or take 1, 2 yards, but that's usually the case with rangefinders.

As for the made in China comment, I disagree. One of my other jobs is selling cameras and "most" cameras and lens are NOT made in Japan anymore which has the best optics. I own a Nikon SLR and the Nikon lens is made in Thailand, Canon lens are made in I believe Taiwan now. Ya, maybe way back in the days but these days it's hard to tell anymore.

"for a few dollars more...", I got this Halo XRT model for $75 cdn, the closest one to that is $200 and the Nikon/Bushnells are $250 and up, hardly a "few" dollars more. How long this will last, that remains to be seen, seems no one has had this more then a few months to answer this question. I have a year over the counter return/exchange policy so at least that's good. Unfortunately for the budget bow hunters, we can't go blow a grand on a bow, $300 on a rangefinder another $200-$300 on hunting clothes etc etc. Heck, if I had a money tree, sure, I'll go pick up two Nikon rangefinders and keep one as a back up

In the end, if I can get a good reading at 40 yards and down give or take a yard or two, I'm happy for the price. As a bowhunter, that's more then the average shot. A yard or two won't make a difference in your aim with a bow. If you're bow hunting above 40 yards, imo, you should be taking up shotgun or rifle hunting. I know colleagues that hunt at 60-80 yards, that's just crazy and risky. They are shooting them everywhere but the vitals, as long as they hit the deer, they could care less. Unethical.

Good hunting all!

Last edited by Damenc; 11-15-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

In my opinion the extra money spent for quality gear is always money well spent. Get a Nikon.
If money was short I'd rather have less gear and all of it be the best quality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.