Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Tonneau covers- which one?

Old 05-12-2003, 02:40 PM

Default Tonneau covers- which one?

I drive an ' 02 Doge Quad Cab and need a hard tonneau cover. Which is best, fiberglass, aluminum, design features, etc. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Tonneau covers- which one?

Stay away from dark colors. I had a fiberglass hard cover for my full size box, if it sat in the hot sun for more than 3-4 hours it would expand so much that I could not open it. [:@]I would look for parking in the shade if I needed to open the cover. After the dealer tryed several times to open it on hot days the took it back. I now have a soft cover.

Uncle Al
Old 05-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had lorider fibreglass tops on three trucks.one black,one dark grey and one white.I never had a problem with any of them whether parked in the sun or not.They are a very good design and are far superior to some of the cheaper products on the market.The nice thing about fibreglass is that when you lock them up your gear is safe ,unlike soft covers which are easily broken into.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have had a fiberglass lowrider and had no problems. However I switched to the Pace Roll away cover. It has the steel slates so you can' t cut the top to get in, I have an automatic tailgate lock so when I hit the lock button on my keyless remote it locks my end gate at the same time. I have left it with gear in it for extended periods of time in Northern Saskatchewan (where things aren' t always to safe) and never had a problem. I much prefer it for hauling a quad or over sized load, I can slide it away and load her up. Then when I need to secure something I can.

The lowrider is a fine cover I just don' t like having to remove it to haul a quad or other large loads. The Pace costs the same amount of money as the lowrider here, so it is anything but cheap but I feel it is more useful and handy when loading and unloading, especially for the bigger stuff that don' t fit under the fiberglass drop down style.