Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
mapping gps tested in the field? >

mapping gps tested in the field?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

mapping gps tested in the field?

Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Spike

Default mapping gps tested in the field?

I am looking for a quality mapping gps with as much features/capabilities for around $250.00? Can anyone provide any personal feedback during their hunting/scouting experiences?

btw: I did use the "search" function but either nobody posts about gps devices in this forum or ....umm yea

Thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 04:57 AM
JW
Super Moderator

For mapping - I need a bit more info. I use quite a few Garmin GPS products. Have a couple of sets of Topo maps nationwide to which is easily downloadable to either of the units I use. And ma just getting into taking my area to which I have my tracks on and overlaying it on goodgle earth.

I even run a gps on my hunting dogs.

So look at Garmin closely

JW
Old 08-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

I have always used Garmin products as well. Have been looking at the Delorme PN-40 though. with all the maps you get with GPS, it sounds like a much better value. Don't know too much about their quality or functionality though. Anybody know very much about it?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Spike

I purchased a PN-20 last year and it worked well. I could mark a tree and return to it in the dark or mark an area on my computer and transfer it to the GPS and find it easily. The topo maps you down load are detailed and acurate.

Jerry
Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

I like the Garmin best but I am sure others are as good. There are also some free topo maps on GPSFileDepot.com and I publish a free New England topo map (http://www.gameandfishnetwork.com/MapsGPS.html)
Old 08-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with the DeLorme PN-20, it is hard to beat the topos that are provided for you. It is used by alot of state police officers as well as fish and wildlife wardens.. So it deffinately can be trusted and quite accurate..