Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Special Golden Estrus

Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Special Golden Estrus

Last hunting season I put out some tinks and it didnt work worth a flip.Did not even see a deer near it.This year I have a new place to hunt and I was wanting to know how good Special Golden Estrus works, some one told me it works a lot better than tinks.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

"Works" is a relative term since a buck has to smell it for it to work. What the deer is smelling is mostly the faint aroma from ammonia as the urine breaks down, that piques it's curiosity enough to check out the source. Once it arrives at the source it begins analyzing any other odors such as pheromones, which means it has to be close to the source since they don't carry far before degrading. The smell of another deer works at least as well as urine, and usually better since another deer is either going to be a date or a rival. I've had deer follow my scent trail for hundreds of yards while wearing Deer Dander™, never had that kind of reaction from pee.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

last year i tried the Golden Estrus on the Trophy Leaf with negative results. it worked as well as every other scent i have tried....not one deer payed attention to it.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by CamoCop
last year i tried the Golden Estrus on the Trophy Leaf with negative results. it worked as well as every other scent i have tried....not one deer payed attention to it.
I did the same, deer went right past my stand and didn't even slow down. Won't waste money on them again.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kevin1
I did the same, deer went right past my stand and didn't even slow down. Won't waste money on them again.
I had the same same results as well. Hell I even had deer blowing just at the smell of it. I have quit using scents all together. Do yourself a favor...save your money. 23 years of hunting... tried just about everything and keep coming up with the same thing...nothing.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know the reason why, every buck I drew in with scents were on very cold days. Never had any luck with it on warmer days.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Spike

I wonder how watered down ammonia would work?I might try it this year.At least it's cheap if it does'nt work..
Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by dvallilee
I wonder how watered down ammonia would work?I might try it this year.At least it's cheap if it does'nt work..
I've had mixed results with that, the concentration is the tricky part, if it's off just a little you might as well be doing jumping jacks in your blind. Be sure to use distilled water, and go with clear ammonia that has no added scents or other additives.

SIDE NOTE: Coworkers have the devil's own time figuring out where that nasty pee smell is coming from when all they can find is a plastic leaf.

I'm just sayin'...
Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Spike

Have a lease in SW Georgia and CODE BLUE seems to work alot better than tinks. don't know why but it does.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by kemster99
Have a lease in SW Georgia and CODE BLUE seems to work alot better than tinks. don't know why but it does.
Single source urine usually outperforms mixed deer and cow pee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.