Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Safety Vest Harness

Old 07-05-2009, 03:54 PM

Default Safety Vest Harness

Hi Everyone,

I am new and this is my first post. I am 51 and I am trying to outfit both my son and I for our first ever bow season. I am shocked out how much money I have laid out so far and I am just getting started. I bought a couple of used climbing tree stands and I need to get some safety vests. I am looking at: Hunt'EM High, Treestalker HSS-7, Real Tree/ Mossey Oak ReversibleHSS-4/HSS-2/L, and the Pro Series HSS-6. Notice that I listed them in order of cost. Please tell me what you like, don't like, or would recommend in terms of these harness vests. My Loggy Bayou stand came with a full body harness that is strong but looks like spagetti. I am sure it works but I don't want to be putting that on at night on the way to my tree. I would appreciate your feedback and any safe but lower cost recommendations.

Thanks!

Pale~
Old 07-06-2009, 04:33 AM

Default RE: Safety Vest Harness

I used to feel the same as you; however, there is no price too steep for a safety vest. We are talking about your life, your son's life.....or quality of life after a fall.

The facts speak for themselves......one in three hunters that hunt from treestands will fall at some point in their hunting lifetimes. That is just what gets reported.

My advice.....keep the spaghetti straps in a scent-proof container just like the rest of your clothing and practice putting them on.....put them on during daylight, put them on in the dark until you get it right.

My personal chioce for my son, my wife, my daughter, and myself is the hunter safety system.

Think how much a wheelchair will cost.....then weigh the cost/benefit analisys of a saftey system.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:57 AM

Thanks, I listed 4 HSS systems. Are all just as good as the other or do you have a preference?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Spike

I have the older HSS harness/vest that reverses from camo to orange. Some of the older models had a strap configuration that would bunch everything in the middle if you actually used it (which many guys found uncomfortable for obvious reasons), but my vest has the lower straps attached at the sides of the vest and I believe that all HSS vests are now made this way.

In addition to greatly simplifying the process of attaching the straps (my vest has two chest buckles and two lower straps with a "seatbelt" type buckle; new vests only require one chest buckle), I love the numerous pockets. I sewed my nylon hunting knife sheath to the vest and added a ring where I clip a small flashlight while my license is clipped to the back. With safety rope/carabiner, pull-up string, wind-checker, handkerchief, light gloves, face net, whistle/compass, cell phone, and (usually) .32 calTomkat in the pockets, all of my standard hunting gear is in or on the vest. Even if I am hunting from a ground blind or stalking I use the vest since everything is handy.

The pockets are also somewhat useful as handwarmers, but I wish HSS included a windproof fleece lining: this would really make them useful. Otherwise, I am completely satisfied with my vest and the new models look even better. They are pricey, but you can expect to use them for five years or more (HSS recommends replacing after 5 years, but I only plan to do so if there is evidence of deterioration of the harness). I bought a safety harness prior to the HSS vest harness and I now wish that I had invested that $50 into the HSS vest.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by BowHntrRick
I have the older HSS harness/vest that reverses from camo to orange. Some of the older models had a strap configuration that would bunch everything in the middle if you actually used it (which many guys found uncomfortable for obvious reasons), but my vest has the lower straps attached at the sides of the vest and I believe that all HSS vests are now made this way.

In addition to greatly simplifying the process of attaching the straps (my vest has two chest buckles and two lower straps with a "seatbelt" type buckle; new vests only require one chest buckle), I love the numerous pockets. I sewed my nylon hunting knife sheath to the vest and added a ring where I clip a small flashlight while my license is clipped to the back. With safety rope/carabiner, pull-up string, wind-checker, handkerchief, light gloves, face net, whistle/compass, cell phone, and (usually) .32 calTomkat in the pockets, all of my standard hunting gear is in or on the vest. Even if I am hunting from a ground blind or stalking I use the vest since everything is handy.

The pockets are also somewhat useful as handwarmers, but I wish HSS included a windproof fleece lining: this would really make them useful. Otherwise, I am completely satisfied with my vest and the new models look even better. They are pricey, but you can expect to use them for five years or more (HSS recommends replacing after 5 years, but I only plan to do so if there is evidence of deterioration of the harness). I bought a safety harness prior to the HSS vest harness and I now wish that I had invested that $50 into the HSS vest.

Thanks for the reply. I bought a HSS-1 for my son and a HSS-4 for me. Both are reversable. I really liked your types about modifying the vest. I will give that a try.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

HSS is too overpriced IMO. You could easily find a great harness at a fraction of what one of those cost. They cost so much because everyone on the Outdoor Channel uses them.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

why not just put the standard speghetti harness on when you get dressed and wear it to the stand. this way you save money.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by CamoCop
why not just put the standard speghetti harness on when you get dressed and wear it to the stand. this way you save money.
I already bought the HSS units and like them fine. Expensive yet but seem to be worth it to me.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Spike

I use a "spaghetti harness" and plan to buy an HSS, or similiar system, before this season starts. Mine is entirely too aggravating, uncomfortable and confusing. And, I do put mine on when I'm getting dressed...in the dark, outside my truck, before walking to my stand, and it is still very aggravating.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Kinda funny this topic has been on numerous sites in recent days? I too have been looking for a new harness and found a harness review posted below. Only covers 4 brands but there is pretty good info plus video of each harness in action.....The guys jumps out of the tree with each... http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforum...ges=40&forum=2

Quick Reply: Safety Vest Harness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.