HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Climbing stands (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/292841-climbing-stands.html)

tazed2 04-27-2009 06:48 AM

Climbing stands

Looking into buying a climbing tree stand and would like to find one that is affordable and easy to use. Can anybody give me some suggestions? I will be using it for bow hunting.

bugsNbows 04-27-2009 08:30 AM

RE: Climbing stands

It sort of depends on what you call affordable. Don't skimp on a few bucks...get a good, brand name unit. They will be safe and easy to climb with. I've used Summit's for years. IMO, they are one of the best. I also like Lone Wolf, but they can be a bit pricey. Climbing wise, you usually have two choices... a stand-up sit-down type or one with a hand climber of some sort. Practice BEFORE the season so you become totally familiar with it and can climb quietly. Always use a harness as soon as your feet leave the ground.

forddeerslayer 05-12-2009 10:09 AM

bump because i am wondering also:)

totalcomfort 05-12-2009 04:36 PM

Check out the gorilla greyback elite at Bow hunters superstore great deal.I wrote a review on arkansashunting.net check it out great bowhunting stand.

Mojotex 05-12-2009 05:36 PM

I have used many a brand starting with the original baker back in the 1970's. Man what a "trap" compared to today's products. My favorite is the older version of the Ol' Man Vision. I found the new models not as quiet because of the design of the reversing front bar. It rattled. Ol' Man folded for a while, then went to China. then seemed to disappear. now it is back, though I am not certain if the original design/manufacturing group has anything to do with it. And I have not seen any of their new products. Having said that, I used my cousin's Summit last 2 winters while hunting with him in Ark. His is a 2007 vintage. I forget the model. It is aluminum and the weight is definitely tolerable. I found it very easy to set on the tree. It was easy to climb. Quiet and rock sturdy. It is not the least cost option, but I echo another's comments, don't scrimp here! And I always add ... be sure to buy and use a quality safety harness. These will run about $100 +/-, but are worth every penny in the event you need it !

Valentine 05-17-2009 06:29 AM

Recommendation for all newbie tree stand buyers

How big are you? Some are designed for the short stay of Smerfs. Not to pick on little people but get a climbing stand that fits your body.

How are you with heights? Too long a story, but climbing heights was an acquired practice for me. Could you hold a job as an ironworker on a high rise?
I don't like those "diving platform" where the tree stand is entirely open. I have a "enclosure" that suits me fine. I use an old stand that is somewhat similar to the Summit stand where the hunter sits facing the tree. With the small axle to axle one finds on newer bows, the enclosure doesn't seem to be a great problem today. I learned to use my enclosed tree stand with an old 42 inch, axle to axle, compound bow.

Practice, practice, practice. Don't set up, for the first time, your tree stand, in the woods, on the first day of hunting season. That a pre-season job you will eventually appreciate.

Check the size of the seat and how much the stand weighs. I cart mine into and out of the woods and 21 pounds is about max with me, and still make it convenient.

Tree stands for a number of reasons are a lot more expensive, than even ten years ago. For me, it's important to stay in shape and not have a bad back.

Probably the two biggest items that just sit in a garage or a basement. Leaking tents and tree stands the hunter didn't like.