HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   GPS questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/288615-gps-questions.html)

irishhunter 03-07-2009 11:16 AM

GPS questions

Hey guys/gals

I'm on the market for a GPS system...
I'm not to up-to-date on how they work but i 'm hoping to find one that works well and is easy to use...
Do I still need my compass to work with the GPS system?

I was hopeing that they make one that I won't need a compass and I can mark spots on it..like my tree stands,land marks and..where I parked the truck....mainly I want to be able to find my way out and to the truck at the end of the day...

are these tall orders in a GPS system??? any suggestions on what to look into

Thanks
IH

loadbreak 03-07-2009 04:00 PM

RE: GPS questions

Most GPS systems will do what you need. I have a Magellan and as far as the unit goes it works very well. BUT I can not get the mapping software to work with Vista. I would look for one that can download topo maps and way points that you can put on the map from your computer.

P3FE 03-08-2009 04:31 AM

I use a Garmin Etrex Venture and it works great for me. Sounds like we use it for the same purposes. If you get a Garmin get oneof theHC series. The antenna is much better than the older Etrex's. With the older version I would loose the signal in tree cover, the HC series has a much better reception.
I dont have any problems using the map sourcewith Vista plus I use the GPS coordinates and plug them into google earth. makes for a great resource.

Wingbone 03-08-2009 08:18 AM

Most GPS's available these days are easy to operate, quite accurate and will do all the things you mentioned and more. That being said, they are electronic devices requiring batteries and connections to navigational satellites which may or may not be in a position to provide a reading. I have had one fail on more than one occasion. GPS's, in my opinion, are a great addition to a compass butthey won't replace one. I carry both. If I'm carring just one, it's a compass.

irishhunter 03-08-2009 01:43 PM

Yeah I understand that a GPS its 100%...I'll still carry my compass at all times
I was just looking for a system that would help me.
mainly I want to get out of the truck, push a button, hunt and roam the woods, and when it was time to go be able to turn on the GPS and have a direction to go to head bach to the truck.
This past season I wasout and ended up getting turned around...had to play phone tag for a while with a buddie of mine.
and the most annoying part is I'm in new Hampshire "the Granite State"...someof the mountains we hunt are so packed with graniteI feel it kind of throws my compass of a bit.

Wingbone 03-09-2009 02:27 AM

I use my GPS to do exactly what you are talking about. It's a great tool for that. Have you adjusted your compass for magnetic declination? Where you are, because of the difference in location between magnetic north and true north, your compass, unadjusted,will be about 16 deg. off of TN. That could be enough to throw a guy off.

dandbuck 03-09-2009 05:51 AM

I have a Lowrance Expedition with Mapcreate 7.0. Very easy to use, have it in my truck at all times. nice to have. They do make some now that have a walkie talkie included and will show your buddies where you are on their unit it hunting together. Lot's of great stuff out there. Pretty soon the new ones with fold out into a quiet ATV and turn into a pen you can put in your coat pocket at the end of the day, lol.

Reminds me of a story. I recently went to Japan and I bought a new wallet over there. It is made of elephant foreskin. All you have to do is rub it and it turns into a whole set of luggage!
Good Luck and have fun.
Dandbuck

hondaguy 03-09-2009 07:42 AM

I have a garmin rino radio/gps. I can't say enough about all its features.Once you start to use one you will wonder how you hunted without one!
Make sure you get one that has a electronic compass, this allows you to use your compass to navigate without moving.Also you can purchase their
mapsource software and use it to make and store your own maps. The rino gps is unique in that it has the ability to communicate with other rino users
(or any fmrs/gmrs radio) and the ability to show your friends(with rino) where you are and to send each other waypoints, in case you want to let them know where
a particular stand or trail is.In my opinion as a guide their is simply no better gps on the market today that does as much! (you can also use it to navigate in your
car or truck.)

mattb348 03-19-2009 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: irishhunter

Hey guys/gals

I'm on the market for a GPS system...
I'm not to up-to-date on how they work but i 'm hoping to find one that works well and is easy to use...
Do I still need my compass to work with the GPS system?

I was hopeing that they make one that I won't need a compass and I can mark spots on it..like my tree stands,land marks and..where I parked the truck....mainly I want to be able to find my way out and to the truck at the end of the day...

are these tall orders in a GPS system??? any suggestions on what to look into

Thanks
IH
I would definitely go with a garmin GPS; they have been around the longest, and are arguably the most reliable. As far as a specific model? I would probably say go with an etrex or something, but that is just my 2 cents. Also, you can find refurbished GPS's on ebay for pretty cheap if you do a bit of searching there.

Champlain Islander 03-20-2009 03:41 AM

I have an etrex vista loaded with all the topos I need for the areas I hunt here in New England and out west. It always works well but I still keep 2 compasses on me as well. I keep a quality compass around my neck and a cheaper ball compass clipped to my coat. I use the ball to stay on a proper heading and stay oriented when I can't see landmarks.