Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Glock Pistols....

Old 12-31-2008, 06:32 PM

Default RE: Glock Pistols....

I'm still leaning towards the Glock...my uncle is big collector of firearms and he suggests the Glock 19. But, I like the .45 S&W. I guess I'll just shoot'em all until I find what I'm lookin for. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have just 1 suggestion if you buy glock,replace the barrel with an aftermarket barrel.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I have just 1 suggestion if you buy glock,replace the barrel with an aftermarket barrel.
For the money you can't beat the XD-M (if you want a match barrel) or the XD.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Dude, how are you comparing the Glock 19 and a S&W .45.??? In my honest opinion you need to figure out what caliber you want... I am a cop and carry the glock 19 for work everyday.. I shoot it every week and will be the first to say if my life depended on it I would like something a bit bigger. With that said I would go with the glock hands down over anything out there if you are looking for reliability, I would say its about as reliable as your going to get without getting a revolver. If I were you and I had to choose. I would get the glock in a .40 ( More knock down power then the 9mm and More controlable then the .45 ).... Hope that helps you some.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

i like the 44 with 6 inch barrel smith and wesson
Old 01-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Spike

you defenitly can not go wrong with a glock. however after shooting the smith and wesson m and p i was hooked. i hada glock 30 for 3 years for ccw. great gun would cycle any ammo and very reliable. recently i shot the smith and wesson m and p in the 45acp. i just fit my hand much better and i really like thesafetyon the slide. you should try to shoot a few differnt guns before you buy one and see what fits your hand the best. but you cant go wrong with a glock or a m and p.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I know some will argue but at least consider the following. Glocks although good weapons have several design features thathave caused numerous ADs. No question you can't fix stupid, but Glocks by designcan create hazardous conditions.Now, before the Glock Guysgo Ape $h!t hear me out. Glocks do not have magazine disconnects, which means it will fire with the mag out. Some will argue "That allows me to fire while in combat andreloading." True, but how often are you in a fire fight when compared to how often you will be cleaning, unloading, storing etc...? I would venture to say magazine disconnects have saved more officers and soldiers that the ability to fire the one round while reloading has. I personally know of two who were saved while fighting over their weapon by disconnecting the mag. Plus with a magazine disconnect you always know if the mag is out the weapon is safe. Second safety issue deals with having to pull the trigger to remove the slide.Seen this feature ventilate a few walls over the years. Pulling the trigger to remove the slide in a weaponthat will fire with the mag outcan make a routine cleaning veryinteresting. The whole 'It can fire under water, after being buried in sand"etc... sounds great but what are the odds of you ever doing it? But, if you do find yourself trying to fire after swimming or drop your weapon a lot in the dirt mostother brands willperform just the same. Besides if you are considering the extreme features of a weapon then you must also consider heat. In those cases you may wish to stay away from any of the composite weapons as the full metal frames will serve you much better. Of course now you have to determine which round is going to cook off first?As you can quickly see some ofthe so called "extreme features" are just that "extreme" so you may wish to not worry about them too much.Just saying, before you jump think about what you are using it for and safety. Get all the makes "In Hand" and then decide what fits your grip, style of carry and use before purchasing.

Like I stated in the start some will argue but remember this. When Govt agencies make large purchases many factors are considered other than just performance.I haveseencome down to everything from cost, to it fits our old holster. So just because aparticular agencies carries it does not make it any better than any other model.

Don't get me wrong, Glocks are great weapons but know what you are getting and make sure it fits your needs. If you are set on a Polymer (plastic) weapon the Springfield has been getting pretty good reviews while the M&P seems to be falling in ratings.If a traditional metal framed weapon is within your likesseveral of the S&W models are always a sure win and the Sigs tend to get really high marks.

Do this. Determine what cal. you want? Then what size weapon fits your style of use.Do you really need high capacity?For urban/home/personal carry I would prefer a weapon that fits my hand and comfortable to carry over a double stacked mag.If you ain't got the job done with 8 rounds it may be a good time to run anyway.. How much weight do you want to carry? Safety features? Do you need single or will a double action weapon work for you? Double all the way is much simplier to train and tends to have a slightly higher safety rating. Cost? Work throughthe above areas and it shouldhelp narrow the field down.

Lastly, what do I base the above info on?Way too many years on the line (20+) training advanced tactical firearmsto agencies(Federal, State, and everything else out there) from all over the Country.
Good Luck
Old 01-11-2009, 04:24 PM

ive got the X-D 4in compact chambered in 45 ACP and i love it never had a miss-fire in about 500-600 shots
Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: buckwild41

I know some will argue but at least consider the following. Glocks although good weapons have several design features thathave caused numerous ADs. No question you can't fix stupid, but Glocks by designcan create hazardous conditions.Now, before the Glock Guysgo Ape $h!t hear me out. Glocks do not have magazine disconnects, which means it will fire with the mag out. Some will argue "That allows me to fire while in combat andreloading." True, but how often are you in a fire fight when compared to how often you will be cleaning, unloading, storing etc...? I would venture to say magazine disconnects have saved more officers and soldiers that the ability to fire the one round while reloading has. I personally know of two who were saved while fighting over their weapon by disconnecting the mag. Plus with a magazine disconnect you always know if the mag is out the weapon is safe. Second safety issue deals with having to pull the trigger to remove the slide.Seen this feature ventilate a few walls over the years. Pulling the trigger to remove the slide in a weaponthat will fire with the mag outcan make a routine cleaning veryinteresting. The whole 'It can fire under water, after being buried in sand"etc... sounds great but what are the odds of you ever doing it? But, if you do find yourself trying to fire after swimming or drop your weapon a lot in the dirt mostother brands willperform just the same. Besides if you are considering the extreme features of a weapon then you must also consider heat. In those cases you may wish to stay away from any of the composite weapons as the full metal frames will serve you much better. Of course now you have to determine which round is going to cook off first?As you can quickly see some ofthe so called "extreme features" are just that "extreme" so you may wish to not worry about them too much.Just saying, before you jump think about what you are using it for and safety. Get all the makes "In Hand" and then decide what fits your grip, style of carry and use before purchasing.

Like I stated in the start some will argue but remember this. When Govt agencies make large purchases many factors are considered other than just performance.I haveseencome down to everything from cost, to it fits our old holster. So just because aparticular agencies carries it does not make it any better than any other model.

Don't get me wrong, Glocks are great weapons but know what you are getting and make sure it fits your needs. If you are set on a Polymer (plastic) weapon the Springfield has been getting pretty good reviews while the M&P seems to be falling in ratings.If a traditional metal framed weapon is within your likesseveral of the S&W models are always a sure win and the Sigs tend to get really high marks.

Do this. Determine what cal. you want? Then what size weapon fits your style of use.Do you really need high capacity?For urban/home/personal carry I would prefer a weapon that fits my hand and comfortable to carry over a double stacked mag.If you ain't got the job done with 8 rounds it may be a good time to run anyway.. How much weight do you want to carry? Safety features? Do you need single or will a double action weapon work for you? Double all the way is much simplier to train and tends to have a slightly higher safety rating. Cost? Work throughthe above areas and it shouldhelp narrow the field down.

Lastly, what do I base the above info on?Way too many years on the line (20+) training advanced tactical firearmsto agencies(Federal, State, and everything else out there) from all over the Country.
Good Luck
Good stuff. I started this thread to get this type of information. As I figured Glock would turn out to be the choice. However, I did swing by the store a looked at a few others.

The Sig .45 nice!! Too pricey for 750. S&W 1911 is a awsome product, but not for $900. The SA XD-M 9 is what I'm looking for. I don't need large caliber. But, I would like the Dessert Eagle 50! I like the XD for it's weight, grip and the ammo I can get almost free. Also, something I could begin target shooting with. But, I do like a metal frame....

So, I'm not sure yet. I'm still leaning towards the XD.