Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rocky Boots

Old 12-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rocky Boots

ORIGINAL: dbaskay

New member here - with my experience with Rocky boots, they are the last brand I would spend my hard earned money on any further. I literally walked the soles off of my first pair of $100 Cornstalkers on an elk hunt in Colorado after 5 days of hiking around the mountains. They sent a set of soles, but they were just not resoleable. I was able to trade them in after MUCH hassle at the store I bought them at, and the newer Cornstalkers were now $225 but with molded on soles. After these crumbled following only a few easy paced goose hunts, I was not able to get any resolution from Rocky.
I am debating on whether or not to spend the $25-30 bucks it will cost to have my Rocky's resoled. I will probably get them resoled but have probably bought my last new pair.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

The last pair of Rocky's I had leaked after only a month or so. Took em back to the store where I bought em and got a pair of Danners. the Danners lasted 10 years without leaking. I finally had to silicone em two years ago and just this season the leather cracked.

It'll be Danners again this time!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had rotten service from Rocky concerning a pair of Bearclaws. Not only did the soles fall apart they leaked in a season of hunting. They were my hunting boots and not my walk arounds so they had not seem alot of use but Rocky did not want to hear anything about it.

I now have another of the same boot (gift) and their sized more than a half size off. I even checked it at a shoe store and again Rocky did not want to hear about it.

There are some great boots out there but I'm not sure it's Rocky anymore..
Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MIKECC

I AGREE WITH THE FACT THAT SINCE ROCKY STARTED MAKING BOOTS IN CHINA THEY ARE NOT LIKE THE OLD ONES THAT WOULD LAST AT LEAST 5 YRS. THE LAST 2 PAIR I HAD LASTED 1 YEAR. IF I CAN BUY THEM DIRT CHEAP I BUY THEM, USE THEM 1 SEASON THEN THEY ARE A WORK BOOT. CHINA JUNK.
Anyone know when they transitioned to Chinese made? The reason I ask, I have a pair that I bought in 1998 and I'm still using them today. The only time I've ever had my feet get wet were the times when I stepped in water that went over the top of the boot. I LOVE mine, but I suppose if the ones I have were made differently then they are now then I can understand the discrepency.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately even the Danner's (today) are from China.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Spike

Just want to add to the thread.

I have a pair of Rocky's purchased 4 years ago from Cabela's...I have only used them probably 25 times in the field and this season the sole literally crumbled apart...like falling off in chunks...I have never had a pair of boots do this...you can literally peel off pieces of rubber...like it is dry rotted...planned obsolescence? I have never seen anything like it...will take a picture and post it here later...

They are just garbage...I would never purchase a pair of Rocky's again. If you search the web you will find many many people are having this same issue with this era of Rocky's. Rocky's will send you new soles...but IMO it is not even worth spending $30 to get them resoled...I will just purchase new boots. They lost a customer.

I would just warn everyone...no matter what your experience with Rocky's in the past I would persuade you not to purchase them in the future...their quality has taken a severe nose dive.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM

id just buy a nice pair of irish setters
Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Mn and have a pair of Rocky 1200 gram thinsulate boots. I agree, the waterproofing is terrible! I walked across a tea bog between islands in minimal water and my feet were wet almost immediately. I know one thing, if I was going on a trip, I'd bring more than just these...I haven't had them leak per say in snow, but I do know that if I go inside after being in snow,they get "damp". Next time I am going back to Lacrosse.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

I must have lucked out with my Rocky's. About 3 years ago I bought a pair of all-leather 1000 gram Thinsulate, Goretex LinedBearclaws from Sportsman's Guide for $85. They don't leak, they're comfortable, and they aren't showing signs of excessive wear or failure.