Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rocky Boots

Old 12-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rocky Boots

Anyone who has bought a pair of Rocky waterproof boots that were not waterproof, please turn in complaints to the Consumer protection agency http://datcp.state.wi.us/core/consum...protection.jsp
and the Better Business Bureau
http://welcome.bbb.org/

My goal is to stop Rocky Boots from falsely advertising and labeling there boots as waterproof. If your Rocky boots do not say Gortex on them, the silicone waterproofing Rocky Boots use is temporary and should be advertised and labeled as such.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wack

Anyone who has bought a pair of Rocky waterproof boots that were not waterproof, please turn in complaints to the Consumer protection agency http://datcp.state.wi.us/core/consumerprotection/consumerprotection.jsp
and the Better Business Bureau
http://welcome.bbb.org/

My goal is to stop Rocky Boots from falsely advertising and labeling there boots as waterproof. If your Rocky boots do not say Gortex on them, the silicone waterproofing Rocky Boots use is temporary and should be advertised and labeled as such.

I called Rocky yesterday about the soles on my boots falling apart. My experience with their customer service was positive, as long as I receive what I was promised! I called about 2 pm EST and was only on hold a couple minutes before someone in the "return" department answered. To my suprise, it wasa womanwho spoke English....we're starting off on the right foot here. I explained to her my problem with the soles but I could not givean exact date of when I bought the boots, that I did not have the receipt, and I could noteven remember the name of the boots. I did give her a 4 digit number off the tongue of my boots. She then told me those boots have been out of production for 7 years.....time does go by quicker than I thought.

To make a long story short, they are sending me some new soles to have put on the boots. In my case I really could not ask for much better support.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear it VA I have had nothing but good to say about their boots and their service as well. I'll get mine back from the shop this weekend and have a great set of backup boots that should last a long time. Mine actually lasted about 10yrs before the soles fell apart....time definitely flies.

Wack, sorry to hear about your issues....and I will agree with you that they should better explain "waterproof" on boots that don't have goretex. People need to know what they are purchasing...but the consumer needs to know as well. I'm sure your kids didn't really have a clue, unfortunately. I have always bought goretex lined boots, never had an issue at all with them not being waterproof. Honestly, I didn't know they made 1000gr boots that didn't have goretex....and have no clue why they would. IMO, all mid to upper end boots should have it....that stuff is gold.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Rocky boots used to be made in Nelsonville Ohio and were a good boot....now they are made in China and are junk.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

I will say that the each person I talked to at the Rocky customer service was polite and spoke English. I believe these folks are in Ohio. They were pretty much got stuck on the receipt end of it and I'm sure they were aware of the 6 month waterproof warranty but didn't make me aware of it. I thought they carried a 1 year warranty. I do think that if I had a receipt, even in the 11th month, they may have replaced them. They also told me to try and call the DePere Rocky outlet store as another option to get them replaced.
It was the person at the outlet store who explained the warranties, told me waterproof doesn't mean you can stand in water, explained the difference between Gortex and Rocky waterproofing, and recommended silicone spray. The difference is the gals in Ohio work in a call center and are hired for there telephone and computer skills, and don't know much about the boot. They're trained by scripts, not experience. The scipt for worn out souls must be send new ones. The person at the outlet store is trained to sell boots. To sell them you have to know about the boots. This person obviously knows about the boots. He knew that you can't stand in water with them no matter what it says on the boot. lol I'm sure he was thinking,"Dude, they're made in China, what did you expect? Let me sell you some Gortex."" lol
Anyways, I've learned a lesson or two and hope others learn from it to. It's probably not just Rocky Boots pushing the definition of waterproof and it's your toes at risk. I don't know if Gortex is any better or worse than the Thinsulate or one company any better than the next. Clues are the fine print in warranties. 6 month waterproof? Beware. 1 year warranty? Beware. Take a look at product care before you buy. I don't recall anything about spray on waterproofing needed, but I'll know to look for it next time. I know now to take better care of my boots and if you'd like to save your toes, take good care of your own boots. Leaves me with the question, what kind of silicone spray is oderless enough to bow hunt with?
Maybe by complaining they'll all have to change the industry labels and the deffinition of waterproof not to include boots that have to be re treated to stay waterproof throughout the life of the boot or any clothing for that matter.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

I have heard of Rocky's having waterproof issues, a body of mine had a pair and his feet never staid dry. However, I must say I bought a new pair of Danners for elk hunting this year and they didnt hold up either. The snow leaked through everyday adn the soles got pretty beat up. But what i can say about danner though is good. I wrote a review ona website and they contacted me to return the boots to them. I didnt do it cause i got busy with a house move and whitetail hunting(i use high rubber boots). So they contacted me again yesterday after i didnt ship them back asking me to please send them back so they can send me a new pair of boots to my liking. they even emailed me the packing slips so i wouldnt have to pay for the shipping. these are the first danners i have ever had a problem with and the customer service has floored me. They are down right amazing.They read my review somewhere and came after me, to make sure i was a happy customer, i will be sending them back this weekend. Danner really goes above and beyond.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is good service crenshaw, I will agree.

I guess boots are like anything else, not everyone is gonna get a good pair - and some will love certain brands and hate others based on their experiences. I can't complain about theboots I've had from Rocky. My past 2 pairs held up well for about 10yrs each....I'm hoping my new pair are as good as the last 2. Time will tell I guess.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: crenshaw

I have heard of Rocky's having waterproof issues, a body of mine had a pair and his feet never staid dry. However, I must say I bought a new pair of Danners for elk hunting this year and they didnt hold up either. The snow leaked through everyday adn the soles got pretty beat up. But what i can say about danner though is good. I wrote a review ona website and they contacted me to return the boots to them. I didnt do it cause i got busy with a house move and whitetail hunting(i use high rubber boots). So they contacted me again yesterday after i didnt ship them back asking me to please send them back so they can send me a new pair of boots to my liking. they even emailed me the packing slips so i wouldnt have to pay for the shipping. these are the first danners i have ever had a problem with and the customer service has floored me. They are down right amazing.They read my review somewhere and came after me, to make sure i was a happy customer, i will be sending them back this weekend. Danner really goes above and beyond.
I agree Danners are great boots. I have a pair of 3 year old Danner Grand Slams that I use elk hunting out west and they are still waterproof with a gortex liner built in. I have heard however that some of the Danner line is now made in China too instead or Oregon like they have been for many years. Before I buy another boot I will make sure they are made in the USA not China. Wack, Gortex and Thinsulite are 2 different things. Gortex is a wind and rain stopper is very good and thinsulite is an insulation.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

ORIGINAL: crenshaw

I agree Danners are great boots. I have a pair of 3 year old Danner Grand Slams that I use elk hunting out west and they are still waterproof with a gortex liner built in. I have heard however that some of the Danner line is now made in China too instead or Oregon like they have been for many years. Before I buy another boot I will make sure they are made in the USA not China. Wack, Gortex and Thinsulite are 2 different things. Gortex is a wind and rain stopper is very good and thinsulite is an insulation.
You heard right. I do not remember the specific boot but I looked at a Danner boot in Gander Mountain a few weeks ago and it did say "made in China" on the box.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I just looked at their web site and only the high end boots 250.00 and up are designated made in USA. Too bad because theirmid range boots were always great. Looking at the historyDanner sold out years ago and LaCrosse footwear is their parent company.The LaCrosseproduct has gone downhill too IMO (China made).Fancy boots but they don't hold up like the old ones.

Quick Reply: Rocky Boots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.