Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rocky Boots

Old 12-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rocky Boots

I got a pair of Rocky boots for Xmas last year. They do not have a model name on them, just Rocky 1000 grains of Thinsulate. They are camo man made material with leather, aprox. 11" high, and say waterproof on the back. They've been comfortable and warm for late season last year and the start of this year.
Last weekend I went out hunting in 6" of new snow. Planned to walk a short while to a location, set up a blind and hunt till dark. A 4 hour hunt. 25 degrees out, should be no problem, I brought an extra pair of Cabela's Ingenious heavy socks but before I got to the location, my feet were soaked and cold. My boots were leaking from the top of foot down and I never stepped in any water. Shouldn't matter, they're "waterproof." This wasn't snow getting in over the top and it wasn't sweat. I set up my stand and changed my socks but it did no good. The new socks were soaked in no time. I stayed as long as I could but my toes were numb and I still had to pack up and a 300 yard walk back. My feet were sloshing in my boots by time I did get back and I'm sure another 1/2 hour would have cause permanent damage to my feet and toes. That was Sat. and the swelling in my toes is finally getting better today, Mon. Blows my mind that an expensive pair of hunting boots could be waterproof 1 day and soak up water like a bath towel the next? They're less than a year old! Thank God I wasn't on a weekend hunting trip into the backwoods.
Today, the boots were dry so I put them on and filled up the bath tub 6" deep and stepped in, about 4 seconds later I could feel the water leaking in. I look up Rocky Boots on the web, call the customer service number at 3:40 pm central time. I'm put on hold til 3:50 pm. I explain to a young lady the boots aren't waterproof. She says that would be the returns dept. and they are closed at 4 pm and they are all gone. You'll have to call back tomorrow. I look at the clock, it's 3:57 pm been on hold since 3:40. How convenient.
Has anyone else had problems with Rocky Boots not being waterproof? It seems to me that it's the man made camo material that's leaking. I certainly do not want another pair and wonder on what trip they'll start leaking. I'd like to keep my toes. What should I do?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rocky Boots

I have used Rocky's for over 20yrs, never had an issue with leaks. They have a 1yr warranty...just call them back and I'm sure they will take care of you. Sounds like you have Bear Claws...I just bought a new pair of them this year. Like em so far, they have an incredible sole. They grip like nothing I've ever had before.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

They do look similar to the Bear Claw 3D, but have more rubber and leather at the heel and 11" tall . Mine has a different sole pattern and the Bear Claw is only 9" tall. Same 1000 grams Thisulate and it is about the closest match on the website to what I have. Maybe 2006 version of the same boot. The label inside the tongue says it was made in 09-06. The kids must really love me to pitch in for $175 boots but all they can remember is they got them online and can not find a receipt.
It's funny to me that they must have Rocky Mountains in China. Why else would Chinese boots be called Rocky Boots? lolI hope yours don't let you down like mine did.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wack, go to Rocky's website and figure out what boots you have first....you will need to know that when you call. http://www.rockyboots.com/
Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to really like Rocky boots until this year. I have a pair of Deerstalkers(I think is the name) that are 3 years old and have not been worn very muchdue tofairly mild deer hunting seasons. Even though these boots have seen little wear, the soles are coming apart and fallingoff in chunks. I do not have my receipt and I'm sure they are out of warranty. IMO when you pay$179 for a pair of boots they should last longer than 3 seasons.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

VAhuntr....send an email to Rocky and tell them about your soles deteriorating, they will send you a FREE pair of soles. I had the exact same thinghappen to mine, so did my dad. Fell off in chunks. We both got free soles....mine are in the shop right now being put on for $25.

I'm not sure why they have been having that issue....but mine were 10yrs old and saw plenty of use. The boots were still in good shape which is why I am getting them resoled. I agree, they should last longer than they did you...mine did. The new soles on my new Bear Claws are much different, hopefully they will hold up.

Either way, I can't complain. They gave me a new pair of soles free...so now I have a great pair of backup boots.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive had spotty service on Rocky boots.. One pair lasted less than a week, one pair lasted 1 seasonand another lasted a good 5 years. I was gave a brand new pair of Bear Claws for Christmas and Im kinda gun shy on them. I definitely wont buy a pair of them. I have switched to all Danners and havent been disappointed yet.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

VAhuntr....send an email to Rocky and tell them about your soles deteriorating, they will send you a FREE pair of soles. I had the exact same thinghappen to mine, so did my dad. Fell off in chunks. We both got free soles....mine are in the shop right now being put on for $25.

I'm not sure why they have been having that issue....but mine were 10yrs old and saw plenty of use. The boots were still in good shape which is why I am getting them resoled. I agree, they should last longer than they did you...mine did. The new soles on my new Bear Claws are much different, hopefully they will hold up.

Either way, I can't complain. They gave me a new pair of soles free...so now I have a great pair of backup boots.
Thanks for the idea. I will give that a try. I really like the boots as they are comfortable and warm.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

I just got off the phone with the return department of Rocky boots and I'll never buy or wear another pair of boots made by them again. The boots were a Xmas gift last year. My oldest daughter made the purchase but she has been battling a brain tumor and is actually having a brain biopsy today. I have to be at the hospital at 12:30 today to be with her. She doesn't know what she did with the receipt, so Rockey won't do anything about the leaky boots.
They do not care about there customers they just want to make money on there Chinese boots. Makes me wonder how many American's will loose there toes to frostbite buying Rocky boots that are advertised as waterproof.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

I called the Rocky outlet store, they gave me another number to call, some big shot in the Rocky Boots and Shoes organization and here's what he told me.

If A ROCKY Boot does not say Gortex on them, they have Rocky waterproofing.
ROCKY waterproofing is warranted for only 6 month.
WATERPROOF does not mean you can stand in water. (I knew the Chinese version of waterproof would be different.)
Rocky waterproofing is basically the same as spray on silicone and he recommends that I retreat them at my own expense.

So there you have it. If you own a pair of Rocky boots that do not say Gortex on them, do not expect them to keep your feet dry in snow, you can not step in water with them and you have to spray them with smelly silicone spray to keep them at best water resistant. If you have a new pair, you might want to return them every 5 months. lol

Anyone know of a scentless silicone waterproofing product that I can try?

Quick Reply: Rocky Boots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.