Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What GPS is good?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default What GPS is good?

I'm looking to purchase a GPS for hunting new ground (4400acres) and I'd like to know what are the things to look for? I don't need the best but I'd like to be able to track where I've been. What suggestions to you guys have. Any to stay away from? Thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What GPS is good?

Any will do this kind of work. Somethings to look for IMO, are -
Ease of putting waypoints in.
Ability to get topo maps in for reasonable cost
Ease of navigation.(compass built in types won't have the isses caused by stopping during navigation. i.e. when you stop and turn, you are no longer looking the direction your arrow is pointing. Not sure how much money that is worth.)
My Garmin has sunrise and sunset times built in. That is handy for keeping legal to the minute.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

TC this is a common question so here is a clip and paste response I offerred some time ago.
After many years and numerous units tried maybe this info will help?
First decide what features are most important. Signal receiption, electronic compass, topo maps, color, etc...
Not to bash anyone else's gear but Garmin tends to lead the pack with Delorme running a darn close second. The other brands consistently fall short with online reviews.
If receiption is your #1 concern, as with most who go off the beaten path, in deep valleys, or heavy cover the Garmins with a "H" are a must,. Next you need to decide which features you want and or how much you want or don't want to spend?
The Garmin 60 series not only has the highly sensative chip set but also will hold a signal regardless ofthe position you hold it in. Hence the antenna sticking up. This is important is you want to maintain your signal while it is in a pocket or pack. Units with the antenna mounted flat on the face prefer to be held horizontal. Throw it in a pocket and you will typically lose the signal. Most hunters have there hands already full so the ability to drop the 60s in a pocket yet continue to track tends to be important.
Other features? Topo maps are proprietary. So if you buy Garmin you will also have to buy Mapsource topos if you want detail. It comes with a basic base map but it's not much to it. Mapsource will kick it up to 1;100 scale. The Nat Parks mapsource will give you 1;24k scale.
Here is where delorme PN-20 is kicking their butts. The PN-20 comes with topo software and it is 1;24k scale. The PN also has aerial photo overlay and comes with great software. Typically PN20 is cheaper than the higher end Garmins. But the PN prefers to be held horizontal.
The electronic compass. Pn-20 does not offer this. The new PN-40 does have it but cost more. The Garmins with a "X" have it. Some folks say it's not needed. However, it provides a correct direction while standing still and it sure is nice knowing from the first step that you are headed in the right direction. Finding out that you were suppose to be going the other way after climbing through 100 yards of thicket sucks. Units without an electronic compass can and will do this to you every now and then.
Color screen? Thats up to you and your eyes. Father time will help with this choice. What ever you do get the units in hand and figure out what works for you. Most folks find the color screens better, but thats no surprise I'm sure.
Battery life? This is where some of the other brands have issues. Delorme and Garmin have it figured out.
Thats it in a nut shell. There is more info on the pros and cons of different topo software and smaller differences with units but generally speaking garmin or delorme will not let you down.
Customer service? Both are great.
Back to cost. Yes the 60 will set you back a few hundred bucks. If you really don;t need the extras go with one of the H series Garmins and you will be fine.
For more info check out groundspeak.com or gpsreview.com Tons of stuff on these units can be found there.
Whatever you do once you have the unit, purchase a protective screen shield. Invisibleshield by Zagg Inc. (on line) is great and will keep the screen looking like new for ever.
Good luck and let us know what you decide. OH! If you haven't done it already go to the Garmin web site and you can compare their units and features side by side.. A big help when trying to sort out this stuff.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a Magellan Sport Trak Pro off E-bay a couple years ago for $75, it's all I could ever want in a GPS for hunting. Came with CD with basic map and chord to download from computer. Just my 2 Cents.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Spike

[/align]eTrex Vista® HCxAffordable, versatile, lightweight handheld
compass, altimeter, automatic routing capabilities, microSD card slot, color screen, high-sensitivity GPS receiver, 25-hour battery life, 176 x 220 pixel display
[/align]
Old 12-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Spike

I just got the Garmin Vista Hcx and it does all that and more. Maybe it does too much. But it tracks well and picks up the satellites even in my house so tree cover should be no problem. It also has a compass built in so I have that as a back up.

There is a Garmin Etrex H that will do what you say but entry of info seems to be a bit harder. There is also one in between the Vista and the H that has the high sensitive receiver and good battery life. I think if I had to do it over I would go for the lesser model. I am not going to use my GPS to build a route to someones house so that part is pretty much useless to me and the unit likes to show you the way to a road until you turn that off. The instructions are not very good so you need to use it a while to figure out what is going on.

I got it on-line from a pretty reputable dealer who almost always has good prices so the one I got was 230 and the middle of the road one is around 150. Garmin explains each unit and there are lots of sites that review each unit so you can decide how much or how few bells and whistles you want.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Spike

SIMPLE GET A GARMIN WITH THE FEATURES YOU NEED.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like the Earthmates by DeLorme and the PN 20 is being used for the Artic Expidition so there must be something about them..

The electronic compass. Pn-20 does not offer this.
The new PN-20s do have a compass as well, but I can't agree with Planter more.. Carry a good compass as well regardless and there is nothing like a good Silva..
Old 12-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm on my thrid Garmin dating back close to 20 years. I thought that old Garmin 40 was the cat's meow. It got me to within a couple of hundred feet from where I wanted to be!

I've now have an HCX Vista or is it the Legend. Well anyway it's the one with the electronic compass which I like. The Etrex series have become very busy with everything from Sun & Moon, Calculator, Solunar Tables, Highways, Games and a couple of others featuresthat serve no purpose to me. I guess I gotta say I don't like the toggle on the front sticking out. Always seem to be bumping it when it's hanging down my shirt.

I might be missing it but my new one seem to be missing a bearing feature in degrees. It just says NW or SW ect.. Ivery often would just take a bearing in degrees on a Silva compass and just shut the unit off.

In a nut shell though I really love my HCx and it grabs sats as fast as can be and should last me a handful of years and for a couple of hundred bucks is priced pretty good.

PS.. Always carry a "real" compass anyway.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:04 PM

get a Garmin...their new touch screen models are pretty slick

Quick Reply: What GPS is good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.