Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best hunting knives

Old 12-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Best hunting knives

What is the best brand of hunting knive?
Old 12-07-2008, 03:20 PM

Default RE: Best hunting knives

You still can't go wrong with Buck. I used to guide for an outfitter . . .antelope, mulies, and elk, and I still marvel at field dressing 13 Lopes before putting my Buck to a stone. Mostly cause I was bored, not 'cause it needed it.
It's the Alpha Hunter with the gut hook. Small enough for gutting and still a good size and shape for skinning.
Buck might be a pain to put an edge on, but they will hold it forever.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boker
Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have a folding buck knife that I have had for nearly 30 years. Many years ago I broke the tip off digging a slug out of a tree and since then it sat in a drawer. This year I sent it back to Buck knives under their lifetime warranty. The blade was replaced, no questions asked, and the turn around was pretty quick.

That being said I don't use a folding knife for cleaning deer because the slot in the handle collects crap and needs a good cleaning afterward. I just got a Grohmann GR1 which is their original design. It feels great in my hand and I look forward to using it for many seasons. I like the elliptical blade point (modified drop point)much better than clip point blade on the buck knife.

It wasn't as sharp as I would have liked out of the box, but I am real particular about how sharp my knives and broad heads are. I am not happy unless shave hair with very little effort. If you look around you can get it pretty reasonable.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/outdoor.html

Bob
Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 30+ year old Coleman-Western Stainless Skinner that was cheaper than dirt! Still my go-to knife!Holds a great edge, a knife doesn't have to be expensive to be good!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Bark River Knife and Tool, Rapid River Knife works. Marbles used to make a great knife but since purchased has fallen off rapidly. You can still find some of the old ones on ebay.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:12 AM

cutco.com
Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Spike

I just got a Buck model 119 last week for my birthday from my Brother-in-law. It made easy work of the two does I field dressed with it on Saturday. Came out of the box sharp and handles well. Give me 10 years or so and I'll get back to you on how it holds up. I would guess that it will work just fine.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

I have used Gerber Gators for probably 10-12 years. I am partial to the no slip rubber body. And as their trademark says, the make legendary blades.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:46 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

This has been one of my favorites.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/knives/detail.asp?value=005G&cat_id=322&type_id=6 45

Quick Reply: Best hunting knives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.