Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best Rifle for a 9 year old?

Old 12-04-2008, 06:24 PM

Default Best Rifle for a 9 year old?

I'm leaning toward the Rossi Trifecta (.22, .243, and 20ga.) Anybody have one, or have something they recommend more for a beginning shooter? This is for a Christmas present for my oldest son, so any replies would be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Rifle for a 9 year old?

I am looking at the same thing myself for my son who will be 10 next week. I just wonder how accurate these would be when you swap the barrels out?

A rifle that I have been giving serious thought to is the Weatherby Vanguard Youth in .243 Win. It comes in a youth size stock but also comes with a full size adult stock for when the kid gets bigger. I think that would be a better quality rifle but would be more expensive up front and you would still need some type of .22 for "plinking".
Old 12-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they are going to be starting out on deer hunting, I'd say start with a .243!
Minimal recoil, great accuracy and plenty of power for deer sized game! New England Arms and Rossi make very good youth model single shot rifles, at reasonable prices! Just teach them patience, practice and shot placement and they will be fine! Good luck!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Spike

I bought a Rossi .243 for my daughter and mounted a decent BSA scope on it, however, I had problems sighting in the gun; seems it would never hold its POI for more than 2-3 shots. After I had it for a while (and ran about 150 rounds through it in great frustration), I started seeing posts by other dads who were having the exact same problem with the gun, even those without scopes. Eventually, somebody figured out that the forearms were rubbing against the barrels, and if you floated them (using some kind of nylon washer on the screw that holds the forearm to the barrel), the problem was solved. By that time, I had moved on to a Remington Model 7 Youth chambered in .243, which is a great little gun for a kid (my daughter was 11 when we bought it). Incredibly accurate, except that the barrel is thin and heats quickly and you need to let it cool between shots at the range.

I haven't personally owned one of the NEF models, but my cousinsboughtsome chambered in.45/70 for primitive weapons seasons and they are incredibly accurate (iron sights), well made guns for the price.

Good luck with you son!

Ladeerguy
Old 12-11-2008, 03:54 PM

i would get him a 20 gauge because that way if he ever wants to go bird hunting or something like that he can. but if you get the 20g get the bird barrel and slug barrel. 20g was my second gun and i love it.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:50 PM

Best rifle? What purpose?

I wanted a whitetail rifle that my very petite 9 year old daughter could shoot. Looked at a bunch of "youth" models. Ended up with a Remington Model 7 youth in .243.

I agree with LADeerGuy. It is a shooter. I have been using it for hunting myself since I bought it. Shoots great. Minimal recoil. Even though the stock is too small for me, I don't have to worry about the kick. And, it puts deer down very effectively.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a NEF single shot 30-06 and love it. Tack driver. The handi Rifle in .243 or one of the smaller cal.s would be great for a kid.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Warden, those are nice little setups....I think it would be perfect for your son. Sounds like he's gonna have a great Christmas!
Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Howa M1500 youth comes with a youth stock and a adult stock so he won't grow out of it but into it. Just my .02$
Old 12-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Spike

the rossi's are a good little starter for kids. the only problem i have had is when u put a scope on them if u don't
put it in the back notches on the mounts u will never get it sighted in. have had 4at the shop with the same problem before i figured it out.

Quick Reply: Best Rifle for a 9 year old?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.