Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

gps system

Old 11-08-2008, 02:20 PM

Default gps system

after getting lost the other day I decided to buy one just dont know about them so if someone can recommend one it will be used for hunting were there is alot of swamps thanks and ps dont get lost its not fun
Old 11-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: gps system

There is quite a few out there to pick from and we all like what we like. So I guess it is up to you to choose which one you would like to use.. I like DeLorme"s Earthmate PN 20 but others like Garmin and most I know shy away from the McGellans (sp). Just becarefull with what you pick and if you can get someone to show you how they work before you buy one.. Good Luck with what ever you choose..

I am currently checking out DeLorme"s Earthmate PN 40 at the current time trying to decide if I want to get one of them..
Old 11-09-2008, 07:18 AM
JW
Super Moderator

So hop on the internet and do your research. Is hwat I did back almost 9 yrs ago. I tired a few before I chose.

I now own several GPS systems and each has it value andtheir drawbacks.

For an all around system which gives you the capability to load Topo maps, hear the Norad weather no mater where your are in any state or province and give you a 5W walkie talkie is the Garmin Rino.
I have the 530 cxs which does allow one to add more memory. I have added a 1 gig microchip.

I have an old Garmin e_map to which I still use. I also have a GPSMAP378 in my truck that can double and be taken out on my boats as it is both Marine and Auto capable and it can use the data cards from thos old emaps I have.

I run GPS tracking systems on each of my dogs and dearly love that. Tells me where the dog is and in what direction if the dog is on point. I even place a tracking collar on the dash of the truck so I can find my way back from any woods I choose to grouse hunt in. Reason I chose Garmin was the feature it worked well in dense woods. I suspect the rest of the industry has caught up now. I also wanted a unit that would be cheap to run, easy to download maps and allows me to save maps. Garmin did that.

On my handheld units whether the old e-map or the Rino 530cxs or Garmin Astro - I can get a full day and then some use out of 2 AA batteries. I do carry a spare set. The Garmin Astro uses a rechargeable battery pack and will last for days as long as you remember to turn it off.

All Garmin Rechargeable units have the capability to be charged from a auto outlet using their car adaptor if they do not use AA batteries.
The Rino and Garmin Astro are somewhat waterproof. The old Garmin e-map is not and I place that in a small Ziploc bag. The e-map fits into my shirt breast pocket nicley. The other two models I have placed a carabiner clip on them so I can tie them to me as not to loose them.

The newer units have a electric compass which is a nice feature.
The track back features are easy to use somewhat. It took time for me to learn them.
The Goto feature is also easy to use.
The GPSMAP378 is actually what I use for a Speedometer in my truck as it is more acurate and the numbers are big and easy to see.
It can find anything you can dream up frm gas stations, to exact addresses, to shopping cneters, you name it. It is all there - truly amazing. I ref High school volleyball and use it to find the high schools.
It talks to me - tells me when to turn. Wife hates it but is she could read a map I would not need it! Exactly what i tild her.

I have played with the new Nuvis and they are more operator friendly than my other units by far. Everything is touch on the screen.
The Garmin Rino gives you a feature that if your buddy has a Rino - you can see on the Map exactly where he or she is. Gives me a good feeling as now my son in law knows where I am. Sorta like help I have fallen down and can't get up feature.

If you plan to upload Topo maps make sure there is enough memeory in your unit to do so. 1gig handes just about everything in a wide area.

I did have a unit that was 24 and not expandable so I got rid of it.\

To me I never leave home without one or two as like you I learned some hard lessons getting turned around in the grouse woods. Most times the adventure of huting is by myself! However I do still carry a compass and always will.
The fun for me now while deer or grouse hunting is to mark the truck and then finding my way back. I will never be lost again as long as those sattelites stay up in the sky!

JW
Old 11-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

I use a Garmin MapGPS60 CSX and love it. It saved me from being lost this year. If you use it wiesly inconjuntion with Google Earth while planning your hunt, it will change the way you hunt.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:47 PM

I use the basic Garmin E-Trexx which just tracks you and plots waypoints, no maps. I use it to plot stands, scapes, etc and then use Google to view them on a topo or map. Its also good so you can follow your trail back and mark your trucks location. its only $100 and easy to use if you are looking for soemthing cheap.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM

I just got 2 Garmin rino's models 120 ,,these models have the built in 2 way radio's .what is nice about these is that if you have 2 or more it will show you where the other units are at ?? it works great for keeping track of your hunting buddies ,plus you have the 2 way radio to talk to each other ,they seem fairly simple to operate after a little pratice
Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the Garmin Vista loaded with all the topos I use in 3 or 4 states where I hunt. Works like a charm, is easy to operate and is small enough to fit in my shirt pocket.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's what I like about the Delorme's Earthmates plus I can download areo photos so it's like google earth and also put in lake depths.. The Earthmates are used by state police as well so they are pretty accurate..

Here is a few reviews for you to see for yourself.. Can't get any simpler than this.. nough said except I am currently checking out the all new Eartmate PN-40. I would like to see the reviews on this one. None of these has any sort of walkie talkie though..

www.delorme.com//about/reviews/PN20_GPSReview.htm
Old 11-17-2008, 07:45 AM

I can tell you from experience to get a Garmin.....i worked at a store this summer that sold all brands of GPS units...and the Garmin brand is far superior. The Garmins are extremely easy to use and have the maps and stuff already installed on them so you dont have to buy anything elso with it, also the resolution is amazing. Depending on how much you want to spend.....the new model which i beleive is called the Garmin Oregon or Colorado is pretty awesome. Hope this helps
Old 11-26-2008, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here is the press release of the new PN-40in case anyone may be interested in it..

www.delorme.com//about/pressreleases/PN-40.htm

Quick Reply: gps system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.