Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Treestand Safety Harness

Old 10-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Treestand Safety Harness

What treestand safety harness are you using? What is your opinion of it compared to others you have used. I have used 2 different ones. . .both were included free with the treestand. At this point, I wish they were not included. I would rather have more treestand features or a lower price. Both are barely usable, but probably not safe or comfortable. The latest one, in a fall of any magnitude, I'm comvinced the leg straps will come undone. The first one relied on my belt, which relies on belt loops to hold on to me! What a joke. No self respecting climber would strap into some of these thing I tried a couple on in the store, but left sure the would gut me or delimb me in a fall.

I keep looking at the Hunter Safety System models thinking the will be better, but right now, I can't see $130 for one. Am I overlooking a simple harness which is comfortable and I can fall on without getting hurt by the harness?

I already replaced the treestrap with climbing rope. Then I connect to the main rope with a smaller rope by a prussic knot. I connect to my harness by locking caribiner. This part I am confident in.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Treestand Safety Harness

I currently use the Loggy Bayou Mega Transformer Safety System, which is very similar to the Hunter's Specialty vest. I like it better than the one that came with my stand.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

That one lookd interesting, but it is almost unavailable as I search online tonight!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I switched from a harness to the Hunter Safety System Pro vest. I got fed up with trying to get into the harnesses in the dark. Twisted straps is a thing of the past. My first HSS vest is reversible, but a little too warm for early season archery, great for cold weather hunts. The pro vest is light and very comfortable with no problems getting into it in the dark.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:51 PM

I agree the harnesses that come with the treestsnds are VERY uncomfortable and a huge hassle to put on over many layers. (especially at 5:30 in the morning) They will save your butt if worn correctly, but if you're like me, you get fed up with the noisy thing and end up not wearing it anyway.I invested in one of the reversable camo/blaze vest types myself. They cost a bit more, but they are comfortable and you will wear it because they are easy to put on. good luck.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 PM

I started out hunting with the crappy ones that come with the stands, got fed up with the mess/noise, didn't use one last year out of ignorance, and this summer purchased the $130 Hunter Safety vest and I can say this. Is this the one thing you really want to get cheap on? I buckle 4 buckles and it's on and takes less than one minute to fasten to the tree. easy, very comfy, and *very* well worth the money spent. Buy once, cry once.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Spike

check out the harness made by muddy outdoors I have heard good things about it there is vid you can watch about it on there web site it looks simple to put on and use I am going to buy one next year for sure Its about a $100 bucks
Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I got the HSS. It is not the pro, but the one just below it. I realize now that what I have is last years model. It does not have the "seat" harness. The straps tend to go between your legs as opposed to going wide and under the butt. A friend thinks we can fix this by tying webbing or paracord to it. Anyone done this with success? I think I will do this to direct the webbing away from my crotch area. . .
Old 11-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I purchased the Hunter Safety System a couple years ago (reversible) and love it. I only wish they had license loops on the back.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the HSS reversible GREAT VEST. Just today I bought the HSS Treestalker model for my wife. I got it on sale at Fleet Farm for 59.99 I like it alot. Has all the new options in a lighter weightversion. This would be perfect without spending a $100 on a vest if money is the issue.

Quick Reply: Treestand Safety Harness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.