Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Secret to Keeping Warm

Old 11-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Secret to Keeping Warm

The sleeping bag is one awesome suggestion. I will try it next week in our muzzleloader season.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Warkie

The sleeping bag is one awesome suggestion. I will try it next week in our muzzleloader season.
i found a idea i like better than sleeping bag.

i cut a wool blanket for my head and arms , if you want, you dont need arms cut if you are sitting.

this i use even in rain, its not noisy and warm.

get large blanket so it hangs down over your legs while sitting.

the sleeping bag is hard to nuse in a treestand if treestand platform is not real big.

also the wool blanket does keep wind off you too from your shoulders down which the sleeping bag does not.

now, if it is under like 10 degrees or so, i guess the sleeping bag would work better but our temps in pa. very seldom get that cold and we wait until the afternoon to hunt if it gets that cold.

woolrich is having a sale on friday in woolrich, pa.

i think its 35% off
Old 11-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Im gonna be the oddball here I guess. I usually wear nothing but base layer thermals for the walk to the stand. I always carry my clothes in a trash bag to the stand. I will stand there for a few minutes after I get there to let the heat from walking fade. Then I get dressed at the bottom of the tree before climbing. By the time I get up in the stand I am wrm but not sweaty warm. It usually takes me around 4-6 layers to stay warm under 40 degrees as my blood pressure and pulse rate stay very low at rest due to all the mt biking I do. The ol knee bends in the stand work if the chill starts creeping in.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

LOL Im gonna be the oddball here I guess. I usually wear nothing but base layer thermals for the walk to the stand. I always carry my clothes in a trash bag to the stand. I will stand there for a few minutes after I get there to let the heat from walking fade. Then I get dressed at the bottom of the tree before climbing. By the time I get up in the stand I am wrm but not sweaty warm. It usually takes me around 4-6 layers to stay warm under 40 degrees as my blood pressure and pulse rate stay very low at rest due to all the mt biking I do. The ol knee bends in the stand work if the chill starts creeping in.
i think that BLANKET BAG is good idea too.

some use kids sleeping bags.

i like the wool blanket the most as it can be put in my backpack,i cxut hole for my head.

boy, its nice on a breezy morning at 25 degrees.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Warkie

get the KIDS ONES,not the adult one its too long.

take a look at the BLANKET BAG for 44 dollars and he will give you 5% off too if you tell him your member here
Old 11-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

I have a Summit Viper, The bag is "bungeed" to it for the hike in (rolled up pretty tight)
After setting the stand up on the tree, I stuff the bag into the frame of the base of the climber.
After I am setteled in and cooled off, I reach down and un roll the bag, and put it in a "pile" on the platform and just step into it and work it up to my arm pits and sit down, I was amazed how easy it was the 1st time.
When I stand up, it just kinda drops down to about My waste.

Slack
sew suspenders on to your bag,that will keep it up.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rjamesPA

I use the layered apprioach and when it gets to be dep winter i do use a few handwarmers and double up on the socks . I use two pair one to keep moisture away from my feet and one layer to insulate
i use womans kneehigh things,dont laugh, they work and we all used them at work too.

then over it i put my wool blend socks,ONLY 1 PAIR.

putting on too many socks will make your feet cold too.

secret is dry feet,i use unscented powder on my feet before i put on my girlie nylons.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

sproul you got some darn good ideas there. keep them coming as you remember them. Ill end up trying the sleeping bag one before its over.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Dang,
Went to D!(K's to get 2 more kids camo sleeping bags, they no longer carry them !! (they where pefect, small size, heavy cotton shell, digital camo, $9.00)
These where the cotton material on the external shell, no slipping, like all the nylon ones they have now.

I can not find any kids size cotton sleeping bags any where, any one see them ??

Slack
Old 11-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

Dang,
Went to D!(K's to get 2 more kids camo sleeping bags, they no longer carry them !! (they where pefect, small size, heavy cotton shell, digital camo, $9.00)
These where the cotton material on the external shell, no slipping, like all the nylon ones they have now.

I can not find any kids size cotton sleeping bags any where, any one see them ??

Slack
no, but a member here is selling a bag called BLANKET BAG and he is giving 5% off if you tell him when you order.

its 44 dollars and is waterproof and soft and quite and camo.

Quick Reply: Secret to Keeping Warm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.