HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Cold feet!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/266388-cold-feet.html)

alleganydeerslayer 10-04-2008 05:03 PM

Cold feet!!

I have been using Lacrosse Alpha Burly w/ 1200 grams of thinsulate with wool blend socks and I still freeze on a 30 degree morning after an hour on stand!! What are your suggestions?

matt1214 10-04-2008 06:26 PM

RE: Cold feet!!

get some socks that wick away the moisture, i have those boots and my feet never get cold

rshunter32 10-04-2008 07:33 PM

Buy boots that breathe, rubber doesn't let moisture escape. I live in Manitoba Canada where the temp is alot colder than -30 farenheit during the hunting season. I wear a pair of Irish Setter Tamaracks with a mere 800 grams of thinsulate and gore-tex. Warm dry feet. Maybe its just good circulation, I dunno!

liquidorange 10-04-2008 08:22 PM

i love all the hype about thinsulate. the way the companies tought how much they use in a garment or footware is a joke. rubber boots will feel cold if there too tight or if you even do i little walking in them to the stand without breathing. i believe in good wool socks and skip on the liners. they may wick moisture but for me are too thin to hold any anmount of sweat. wool will insulate even wet.

sellme69 10-04-2008 08:49 PM

Make sure you have wiggle room (not too tight), and wiggle/move 'em around! Smartwools, or other high quality socks. If on a stand, you may want to put a piece of carpet, etc down under your feet (cold air is constantly pulling warmth away if not...you can tell b/c you'll be warmer if you're on the ground). Heaters for the toes (the charcoal ones you open that heat up and last from 8-12 hours).

sproulman 10-04-2008 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: alleganydeerslayer

I have been using Lacrosse Alpha Burly w/ 1200 grams of thinsulate with wool blend socks and I still freeze on a 30 degree morning after an hour on stand!! What are your suggestions?
when you go to sit down, change your socks.

i also use those heat paks as others said,they work great.

real cold days. i use coffee can with alcohal/toilet paper roll under my butt where your feet go,boy, that helps a lot.

my cousin takes a alcohal heater into his stand with him, he sits all day with that thing on in a tree,he wraps a blanket around his legs on his lap and heat keeps him warm..

i am trying to find name of heater he usesand will let us know.

buckwild41 10-05-2008 08:00 AM

#1 is circulation, make sure your boots are not restricting. There has to be room for alittle air around your foot. You may just have poor circulation in your feet, some folks do. SOme meds will cause this also..

#2 Insulation between your foot and the cold. Sounds like you got that. The carpet idea will help.

#3 Keep them dry. Hard to do in rubber boots but wool will help. Changing your socks will help, liners will help.

For whats it worth, some bootsjustfreeze some folk's feet and not others? Iam lucky and typically don't havecold feet issues. I did however buy a pair of boots a few years ago an gave them away because my feet froze in them no matter what.

good luck

Mojotex 10-05-2008 08:25 PM

Everything I do has been mentioned, but one thing not mentioned is the insulated over-bootie. These are bulky, but most crush into a fairly small wad. These must be super because my 80+ old uncle whose feet had very, very poor circulation the last several years of his life, used these. He swore by them.

ctwny1 10-06-2008 08:30 AM

I am not a fan of Thinsulate what so ever. Once my feet get cold, I'm done. I'm a believer in pac boots and that all I will wear in cold weather. I live in Western New York better known as the Tundra of the Northeast. It sure does get cold here and YES...we get lots of snow.I bought a pair of Predator Extreme pac boots from Cabela's and YES...they have draw backs but your feet will never get cold sitting in a tree stand or just sitting in a ground blind. That plain and that simple.

kevin1 10-06-2008 10:26 AM

Here's what you need:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=350522

Frozen feet in only 30 degrees? Sissy boy....