Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

UV Killer?

Old 10-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: UV Killer?

I watched one of the hunting shows a few week back and a they brought a chemist in for his opinion. The yarns and threads are treated with natural oils so they can be woven. The oil is permanent along with the UV. His quote, "sprays will not remove theUV coating from the garment." "It will remain on the cloth longer than the garment will last."
Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 AM

If anything in the store had to be a gimmick I think this is one. Yes under a blacklight it may "appear" that the UV glow is gone but that is with our eye sight. Most likely the deer can still see it if it really does "glow" as they say it does. Just wash your gear in non-commercial (tide, era, gain,etc) laundry detergent b/c of hte UV brightnersthat make your whites whiter and brights brighter. Just use a non-scented detergent made for hunting clothes and you should be good. I fall for all the gimmicks too but then I step back and say, do I really need this to get a Buck? Did my father and his father, etc ever use the stuff we see on shelves today? I think we need to be better "Hunters" and enjoy the hunt more than the instant satisfaction... Just my .02
Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a firm beleiver in it.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Sniper, The oils are needed for the high speed looms. The fabric is then washed in a bleaching formula to get rid of the oil and to return it to a white color. The problem lies with the bleaching. UV brightners are added at this time to make the later added colors brighter. Camo clothing makers have to special order fabric lots without the brightners. Sometimes fabrics are mixed or the washers aren't cleaned well enough and we get the blue stuff. The UV dies are permanent and cannot be removed. What UV Killer tries to do is cover the brightners. UV Killer is not a permanent solution and needs to periodically reapplied. Treatment on some fabrics last longer than others while other fabrics are difficult to treat. It's all trial and error. Anything that will help me get closer to the deer I'm willing to try and this seems to work.

Happy hunting!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Spyderdaddy obviously knows a bit more about material and fabric manufacturing than most. From what I have read he is pretty much on track with how UV brighteners are applied and remain on a fabric. ATSKO current is in possesion of several garments I attempted to treat and was not satisfied with the results. I hope to hear back from them this week and will know more about this topic.

Big Will. I agree, most things hanging on the shelves out there are gimmicks and I try to learn as much as I can about them before I fall for the trick. Regarding this UV thing I'm pretty sure UV exist, that deer can see it and that some clothing glows more than others. Now whether UV spray helps reduce this glow I'm still on the fence. About your father doing just fine without it keep in mind they didn't use UV brighteners back then... Just a thought?

Sniper, your info on the oils and brighteners is pretty interesting. UV Killer claims not to remove the brightener but to alter the wave lenght of reflected light pushing it out of the shorter UV wave lenght and into the longer less visable light.I must admit it does knock the glow down when you first spray it but my concern is with how long it last? Would have loved to see the show myself....
Old 11-16-2008, 03:38 PM

I'm getting ready for opening gun season in Alabama this Sat & I along with the rest of my hunting club use this product.....
Old 11-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

A quick update, Got my clothing back from ATSKO and they admitted my hat and shirt were a challenge to treat. They are saying there are at times an issue with the treatment not sticking to the material. If you apply heat immediately after treating it will help set the treatment to the fabric.

I broke out the 3D leaf suit that started this whole thing andplanned on re-treating it then adding heat.. This is when the BIG surprise hit me. AsI flipped the care tag over to see if I could place the garment in the dryer I see in big letters "NO UV BRIGHTENERS"... The suit glows like a champ, yet it clearly states that no brighteners were used in making it? So this brings up a completely new issue. Either Bass Pro is incorrect in the tag stating "No Brighteners" or the old blue light trick is not an accurate test??? Let's face it, either BP is wrong or using the black light as directed by Atsko is wrong?Can't have it both ways!! I'll be on the phone again this week to Atsko and I'm sure they are going to want to see the garment. I will gladly send it to them and can't wait to hear the response.

PS: Although they threw in a free bottle with the return of my shirt and hat I haven't worked out the 7 bottles I have used prior to them advising "apply heat." I'll touch on that issue with Atsko also....
Old 11-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

i believe the UV is just a bunch of crap.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 AM

It's all about giving yours a mental edge....

Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Let me start out by saying I use the product also. I am not convinced it works, but I use it based on the "cant hurt, might help" theory.

About 8 years ago, prior to ever hearing of ATSKO, I was scouting a local wildlife management area during the summer. I was walking down a 10ft wide trail when I saw a doe about 400 yards walking straight at me using the same trail. I decided to see how close she would get before busting me. I sat down on the trail against a small pine tree. I was wearing a white t-shirtthat hadan orange UM covering the front. I was also wearing white sneakers and bright green shorts. She came up the trail oblivious to my where abouts. As the DEER PASSED NEXT TO ME she saw my head turn slightly to watch her walk bye and bolted. She was standing less than 5 FEET from me when she bolted, or about 2 paces.

Point being I think movement and smell are what bust most hunters, but again ATSKO "cant hurt, might help" IMHOP.

Scott

Quick Reply: UV Killer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.