Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

favorite broad head

Old 09-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: favorite broad head

Went to the bow range to day to see how my hell razors were flying and well I was surprised to find that they planed significantly to the right. So we paper tuned and at first arrow was bottoming out, made some adjustments and got a nice paper tune then went back to the range to sight back in. After which tried the razors again an still I was all over the target at 20 yards… this was not good. I was plaining more to the right then anything. Bow tech suggested I try a montech g5 100 g and that solved the problem. He mentioned that since these hell razors are welded that can be where people have problems. The montech is constructed out of 1 piece of metal and probably has tighter tolerances. I was grouping these BH’s at 2-4 inches at 40 yards, good enough for me.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Shuttle T-Locs for me...
Old 09-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slick Trick 1 1/8 magnums
Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

IMHO: I've tested most mechanicals on the market. I know Rage are all the "rage" nowadays but I've known people who were still hunting or elk hunting to have hada blade pop out before the shot (not noticed itin the heat of the moment)due to brush and it's screwed up the shot. After all the BS and years of experimenting with the latest and greatest, I've returned to 2512 XX78Aluminum arrows and Slick Trick 100's. They fly just like a field tipat 263 FPS and have plenty of punch at 490 grains.At that speed, I still have no problem shooting out to 50 yards. I think people who use mechanicals should do so only as a last resort becasue they can't get a fixed head to fly but the small heads like G5 and Slick Trick offer anaccurate, toughand blanced head for all hunting conditions. I never have to look down at my broadhead before the shot to make sure it's in order, I just know it is and that's one less thing to think about.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Surprised to see nobody mention Magnus Stingers. I'm using the four blade Stingers for the first time this year, so I can't say anything about performance in the woods. But I do know they fly exactly, EXACTLY like my field tips, and I'm not exaggerating. Muzzys don't, Thunderheads don't, and slip cam expandables are way too weak to bust a deer up real good. There's no way one of those rage's is gonna split bone and destroy a deer, no way. You'll have a great entry hole, but it's not gonna get the job done every time. The only mechanical head I would use is a NAP Spitfire, those are badass.When they open, they are open, they can't slip back like Rages, plus they are built stronger to drive through a deer when it hits resistance. I'm just glad I won't be buying any replacement blades, or even replacement broadheads ever again. They Magnus lifetime guarantee is awesome.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 PM

i recently shot the rage 2 blade practice headsjust to see how they were going to fly, and all i can say is awesome. They flew better than my field points, so im def excited aboutlettin one fly in the morning .
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Spike

Well, I finally got to test the Sabre Titaniums last wed. Worked great on a doe at 30 yds. quatering away, good shot placement, double lunged her. She went maybe 30 yds and went down for the count. The exit hole was about the size of a quater, but that didn't matter since I took out her lungs.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Spike

Slick Trick Magnum 100's shoot right with my field points.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

I'm with the original poster. I like fixed heads. I have gone to the 150gr Bolt Sonic. HAven't shot game with 'em yet, but they hit my target everytime. These are on my custom arrows shot from a Tenpoint Magnum X-2 at about 300fps.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed 5 deer with the same Muzzy 100 3 blade before I finally broke the tip off missing the 6th deer and sticking it in a tree I have had very good luck with the Muzzys...both 3 and 4 blade. The 4 blades left some mean blood trails. The head Id try if I were switching would be the G5 Montec's.

I got tricked into trying them as i was getting ready to move from field tips to broadheads. I usually have to move my sights because the broadheads fly about 5-6 inches to the left of the field tips. The Montecs hit the exact same spot. Very impressive heads...but for the cost...they should be.

Quick Reply: favorite broad head

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.