Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

favorite broad head

Old 09-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Spike

Default RE: favorite broad head

I have used mechanicals (RocketAeroheads Hammerhead)in the past and have had a mixed bag of results. The first buck I shot was about 20 yds. broadside, shot him a little far back. However it looked as if you poured blood from a 5 gallon bucket. I also shot a big 8 point with another Hammerhead, about 25 yds. I had good shot placement, but didn't get pass through. So I am not sure what to think. But I am going to trya fixed blade this year though (SabreTitanium). I'll let ya'll know how it works out.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:07 PM

ORIGINAL: bcward

I have used mechanicals (RocketAeroheads Hammerhead)in the past and have had a mixed bag of results. The first buck I shot was about 20 yds. broadside, shot him a little far back. However it looked as if you poured blood from a 5 gallon bucket. I also shot a big 8 point with another Hammerhead, about 25 yds. I had good shot placement, but didn't get pass through. So I am not sure what to think. But I am going to trya fixed blade this year though (SabreTitanium). I'll let ya'll know how it works out.
I think your were using a very large broadhead which required quite a bit KE to get sufficient penetration. Just like with the other posts, people are quick to blame the mech.
Another instance of blaming the mech is when the shot is made and the hunter finds his/her arrow on the ground and the blades are closed. So they assume the head never opened.[&:] That's not the case. What DID happen is the head did indeed open. Then the blades snapped shutfrom the inertia of the arrow stopping.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the blades snap shut upon stoppage, then they are no longer cutting inside the deer,yet another reason that fixed blades can be better.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Spike

I am not condemming mechanicals at all. I am just simply reporting my experience. However I do think that many hunters use mechanical heads instead of fixed because they don't or can't tune fixed blade broadheads to produce an accurate shot. So using a mechanical allows them to shoot their broadheadsstraight out of the box. I also believe less energy is transferred tho the target using mechanicals, this is due to the fact that a certain amount of energy is lost when it opens, the loss may be fractional, but there is still a loss. I thinkthat it is important to continually evolve as ahunter that is why I am switching to fixed blades to improve my success as a bowhunter. In the end each hunter must use whats is best for them and what they have confidence in. Everyone has their personal opinion we might as well be discussing which is better Ford or Chevy....by the way I'm a Ford man.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:18 PM

I like a plethora of broadhead but I am most partial to Rocket Aeroheads, especially the Buckblaster. To go ahead and add as I've seen it brought up in a few post, I am shooting a high KE bow, a little over 70 lbs (not saying the stronger the pull the better but I am a big guy and it works great for me ). I posted a pic on the gear and review thread as it devestated the deer from the past Saturday. I have also seen the broadhead used for a few years by a few other folks I know and none of us have ever been let down by this head. I will say it's possible that a lower KE bow would not shoot these heads properly (to work properly on impact anyways).
Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Spike

I too shoot a bow that has a 70 lb pull, as I too am a big guy (6'3" 270). That is the bow that I have shot for years. I am not, as I said, condemming mechs. I have had some success with Rockets, and I too have a couple friends that use them, thats how I found out about them.I alsohave a couple friends that quit using mechs. for the same reason I stated in my earlier post. All the people I mentioned in this post are highly experienced, avid bowhunters, all with 15 years exp. or more. I guess that further proves what I wrote earlier, we all have to use what we are most successful with and also have condfidence in.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:44 PM

I also agree to that, whatever works for the individual
Old 09-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Muzzy. 37 dead deer can't be wrong!!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Handles

If the blades snap shut upon stoppage, then they are no longer cutting inside the deer,yet another reason that fixed blades can be better.
I think what he means is that they can snap shut after penetrating the animal on the exit side… When the Fletching hits the entrance side that slows the arrow and it loses forward momentum witch can cause the mech. Blades to close. Only way to tell is look the exit hole and internal damage, if they opened you should be able to tell. If they did open I really doubt that the blades would be able to close inside the animal unless the fletching hit the entrance channel before the broad head exited, even doubt that couldclose themeither.

I don’t use mech.’s; but that’s what makes sense in my mind.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bcward

I am not condemming mechanicals at all. I am just simply reporting my experience. However I do think that many hunters use mechanical heads instead of fixed because they don't or can't tune fixed blade broadheads to produce an accurate shot. So using a mechanical allows them to shoot their broadheadsstraight out of the box. I also believe less energy is transferred tho the target using mechanicals, this is due to the fact that a certain amount of energy is lost when it opens, the loss may be fractional, but there is still a loss. I thinkthat it is important to continually evolve as ahunter that is why I am switching to fixed blades to improve my success as a bowhunter. In the end each hunter must use whats is best for them and what they have confidence in. Everyone has their personal opinion we might as well be discussing which is better Ford or Chevy....by the way I'm a Ford man.
I would have to agree with you on this one… need to take the time to properly tune the BH’s I would take a well flying fixed blade over a well flying mech blade anyway… Tuning your bow also makes you more aware of your equipment and its limitations. But I am a chevy guy.

Quick Reply: favorite broad head

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.