Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Good hunting knife

Old 09-02-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Good hunting knife

I'm a new hunter and I'm trying to get some of the necessities and one major thing im looking for is a good hunting knife.I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations. There are so many to choose from and all with diffrent feature and specs. (handle type, blade length, folding vs fixed, gut hook) Thanks for the help!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 PM

Default RE: Good hunting knife

id say def get one with a gut hook, doesnt matter if it folds or not, but a gut hook is awesome, so easy to gut the kill, its like un zipping a zipper and thats the truth. You cant go wrong with a buck knife, the alpha hunter it really good. They are really sharp and believe me i know, reasons i wont get in to
Old 09-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Fork Horn

If you are hunting from a tree stand, I would advise you that if you use a fixed blade knife, Makevery sure that you have a good shealth for it. I personaly only use folding knives because if I should ever fall out of my tree stand I do not want my hunting knife sticking inside my body. Just my 2 cents. And good hunting.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the idea behind the guthook blades but I have found that most are too big and seem to get in my way. I have a Buck 110 folder that I have been using for years. They are reasonably priced, are reasonably sharp and fairly easy to keep sharp. I also have a fixed blade knife from Helle.....so far I really like this knife. This is the particular model I have:

http://www.helleknives.com/product1.html
Old 09-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Do NOT get a big knife. They just get in the way in a stand. There's a newb in my hunt club that likes to carry around a big Bowie knife. Everyone else carries small folders. I usually carry a Gerber Paraframe and a Leatherman Blast. The Blast has a small saw blade that works well on small braches when using a climber. I've been looking a gut hooks, but haven't found one that Ireally must have.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RenaissanceBiker

Do NOT get a big knife. They just get in the way in a stand. There's a newb in my hunt club that likes to carry around a big Bowie knife. Everyone else carries small folders. I usually carry a Gerber Paraframe and a Leatherman Blast. The Blast has a small saw blade that works well on small braches when using a climber. I've been looking a gut hooks, but haven't found one that Ireally must have.
I Agree! Many hunters talk about being "over-gunned", but I believe that many hunters are
"over-knived!" A good Skinner with about a 3" blade will be all you ever need!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Buck Alpha Hunter, it is sharp, holds and edge for a good while, and is easy to resharpen. This knife is one of the things that is always in my pack when I go hunting.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:53 AM

This one is easy http://www.knifeworks.com/kershawkapermajestycombo.aspx I have this knife, and I love it. I have owned a lot of different knives and this one is the best that I have owned. They will resharpen it for free, all you have to do is send it back to them and they will pay the return shipping after they sharpen it. Kershaw has a great reputation as a fine knife maker. Buck knives are good but, can be hard to sharpen for those of us that aren't stone savy.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

I have three Gerber Gators, one serrated blade, one non serrated, and one with a gut hook. They are all folding blades and I personally like the rubber grips that are on them. They also hold a decent edge and when you do sharpen them its very easy to get their edge back. Usually you can pick one up for about $30 and they seem to last for awhile. I still have the original one I got as a Christmas gift 12 years ago. Just my two cents.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

quality depends on the type of steel.buck knife (110) is classic. learn how to use a simple sharpener.if you get a gut hook i prefer a seperate knife for that function but my brothers folding type browning knife with the3 blades works great. folding knives have more areas that hold debris and gack and take a little more to clean the hinge areas. you will probably own a few after a while. i agree that you dont need a big one though.

Quick Reply: Good hunting knife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.