Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

mechanical broadheads

Old 09-01-2008, 06:22 PM

Default mechanical broadheads

I have been thinking about going to a new broad head, i have used the spitfires or rocket heads the past couple years and they have devastated the deer everytime i have hit them, but i hear all this hype from bowtechs about the rage or grim reaper, i have seen a study on the reaper and believe they are pretty good but the rage im just not sold on how it works or if its worth the 40 bucks.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mechanical broadheads

Couldn't tell you about the Rage, but I use the Grim Reaper 100gr Razortips and they work very well.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brother, if the other heads have proven themselves to you, use them....Don't worry so much about what they shoot, you need to have confidence in what you shoot. For me personally, if I had used a head in the pastthat got the job done to my satisfaction, I would stick with it till it failed me. I have been using the same head since the mid 90's but it has never failed to do what it is supposed to and I have confidence that whenI get a shot opportunity, the job will be done......
Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 AM

what broad head have you been using in that time period
Old 09-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have Crimson raptors(mechanical) Crimson Talon(fixed) and 2 blade rage in the Quiver.When its dark in the morning I nock one up and whatever 1 it is, then thats the 1 I'll shoot. If you place the shot right the result should be the same no matter what you use.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: balle006

what broad head have you been using in that time period
balle, I shoot the Vortex Pro Extreme100gr 2 blade.I just want to state that I have always shot a set up that producesat least 70ft lbs of KE. I would not recommend this head to anyone that shoots less than 60 ft lbs.These type heads are not for every set up out there but theycause some serious damage, I have taken countless animals with themfrom hogs to whitetail, exotics, turkey. This is the only head I have usedfor the last 10+ years without failure. I still say no matter what you shoot, you have to have confidence in yourequipment and you have to make good ethical shots. Iby no means am saying that these are the best BH ever made but they have always worked for me and my set up's and Iwould be scared to try anotherBH simply b/c of the confidence factor, I know if I do my part these BH's do their part with my set up.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

i also have been using vortex heads 2 blade 2"cut 100grain head. they have never let me down tried other heads but always end up with vortex even though i would not hesitate to use rockets they worked well for me i think it was the steelforce head not sure of name but it was three blade.
lots of people like rage but they are to much work for the money they are not worth it get great results using a cheaper head.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 PM

what do u mean they are to much work for the money, i hear the two blade rage work really well but i was just wondering what you mean by that
Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

balle006,

I too have been using Spitfires for the last 5yrs. In that time, I have shot 5 dear. On only one did I get a pass-thru, despite nearly perfect shot placement on all the deer. It seemed that when the arrow hit the deer, it just lost all it's energy. Last season I shot a buck that had 14pts. and scored 160. I didn't get a pass-thru and had a blood trail that was next to nothing. I did recover the deer but only because it ran into a large open field where it was easy to see. Had it been in thick cover, I might not have found it. When I field-dressed the deer, It's lungs had slices in them and the entry hole was right behind the shoulder. I laid awake nights after that, thinking how fortunate I was to have recovered that animal. I decided then I was going to switch to something else. This year I am trying the Grim-Reapers. if those dissapoint, I will probably switch back to fixed blades.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 09-15-2008, 09:06 AM

If it ain't broke don't fix it, but if your going to anyway switch to rage's! You won't regret it!

Quick Reply: mechanical broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.