Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS

Old 03-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default GPS

Do any of you have a GPS? This summer I am thinking of doing some hiking in the back country of Montana. I really don' t want to get lost so I am looking into a GPS. What information can you give me? What about the Garmin GPS/two way radio? Do you know if one breaks down the other does. Sorry such a broad topic, but I need to start somewhere.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: GPS

I use the garmin etrex (yellow) I don' t need maping capabilities, just waypoints and basic GPS capabilities. It is simple to use works great and really good on batteries, which is why I picked it. My buddy has the venture and it has mapping, equally easy to use, decent on batteries. You wont be sorry with Garmin GPS.

Second question your refering to the Rhino. I did some checking into this unit as it appeared to be a pretty nice package. First off; from Garmin Tech Support, I was told the Radio and GPS use different circuitry so the likely hood of both failing is low. However they share the same power supply, so it is a possibility. Obviously all all in one, if something must be repaired you lose the whole device and possible the data saved. From actual users of the Rhino, the FRS will not do 2 miles like Garmin indicates more like a mile or so. The Motorola series FRS had better range. GPS is much like that of Etrex/Venture series. Battery life will be lower, but I heard 12-14 hours of use. Beaming technology is about 1-2 miles, depending on the terrain.

If you have a couple guys who are looking and you hunt or trek together, the beaming technology might be nice. As a stand alone...I really see no merit with this product and would prefer 2 dedicated devices at this time. The beaming technology only works to other Rhino' s.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

stuckinthereeds,
I, too, use a Garmin. Mine is the model 12. When I bought it, they didn' t have the smaller Etrex models out yet. That is what I probably would get now. Go to garmin' s site www.garmin.com There is a lot of info there that can answer
most of your questions. I hope this helps you out.
Charlie
Old 03-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

I too have a Garmin GPS, mines the Summit which is the grey one. I prefer this model because it is digital, in other words you don' t have to be walking in order to get a fix on a waypoint. The yellow etrex is an excellent unit but it' s not digital so if you stop to take a break and want to check out your location it will scramble around on you until you get up and start walking. There' s aprox. a 100.00 difference between the two, I' ve owned both and to me it' s worth the extra money to not have to move around for an accurate fix.
Elknut1
Old 03-01-2003, 11:19 PM

I have the yellow etrex, ive only used it once since i got it. Seems to be pretty nice though.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:51 AM

I' ve been using the Garmin GPS12XL for the last few years for hunting, fishing, atving, etc & I love it...I don' t leave home without it!!!!!!! Brampton Mike
Old 03-03-2003, 09:29 PM

I too have a Garmin GPS, mines the Summit which is the grey one.
I hearily concur with the Summit. It has a nice fluxgate compass, so you can get an accurate bearing standing still. Also, it will monitor pressure and altitude.

Once caveat though: Once you get it, set it to " battery save mode" and your batteries will last much longer. It won' t be as accurate at high speeds. Also set the compass to use the GPS for bearing over 1 MPH and it will shut off the compass whenever moving, saving more batteries.

I don' t use the GPS as much to keep from getting lost as to find things in the dark (I don' t have to put up a ton of markers, I can find a ground stand in the dark no problem with almost no flashlight usage) and also to know how far I REALLY walked when I am not hunting. (Feels like 10 miles, really just 3!)

My wife bought me this one, I would have not got it for myself, but it is fun to mess with.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I should have mentioned my one peeve is the lack of digital compass. However I always carry a regular compass for back up and my FRS has a digital on it as well. If buying new I may suggest looking at a model of garmin like mentioned, that features the digital compass. But always carry spare batteries and/or a manual back up. I have become very reliant on my GPS, but always take manual readings...just in case. Better safe than LOST[8D]

Good luck and take care.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:14 AM

Hey stuckinthereeds,
I have done an exhausted search of dozens of GPS models after a scary turn around in the forest. Two things that I found concurent is that Garmin is affordable, but Magellan is the best. A Garmin rep I spoke to actually told me that he uses Magellan because of the reliability. I found a site, www.GPSonsale.com, which sells gps packages including a topo cd and the cable for $309 w/shipping and handling. it also includes a $50 rebate, the cd and cable alone cost over $100 and the unit I puchased the Sport Trak, retails at $300. Trust me on this one. Stay cool Bro!
Old 03-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Between your comments and my research I think I will beable to go and purchase a great GPS that fits what I' m looking for....Sometime, I will tell you what that is