HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Oil temp light on Honda..... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/254766-oil-temp-light-honda.html)

Brad Kilgore 07-27-2008 09:44 PM

Oil temp light on Honda.....

Can anyone give me any ideas on why the oil temp light comes on and off on My Honda Foreman 400? The bike runs fine, and the oil level is fine, but I am a little concerned about going off roading with the light coming on.

nyorange 07-27-2008 11:59 PM

RE: Oil temp light on Honda.....

Bad sensor, oil pressure problem? Sometimes you have the bite the bullet and have the shop look at it. Last thing you need is to have a real oil problem that you end up ignoring because you got used to the oil light being always on. take care.

bugsNbows 07-28-2008 03:31 PM

Agree with nyorange... it's likely to just be a bad sensor.

cjohnson3006 07-28-2008 05:11 PM

It could be a sensor as mentioned above as well as wrong viscosity oil, plugged filter, defective filter relief valve or wrong spark plug. I assume its liquid cooled. Take the sensor out and plug it back into the wiring harness, take a lighter and heat it up to make the light come on. If it comes on right away, I would suspect the sensor. If it takes a while it may be something else. If the oil is too thin, it can get too hot as well as having a sparkplug that is too hot for your engine.The transmission can be gettingtoo hot causing the engine to get too hot as well.

TimberCreek 07-28-2008 05:32 PM

Put black electrical tape over the light and you won't see it!:DKidding! Is it possible the filter was put in backwards?

deerhuntress56 07-28-2008 08:13 PM

The only time my oil temp light came on was after I ran it hard snaking treetops outta yard.(usually just putter around the yard and lake). Oil filter was clogged.... Change oil w/new filter and see if still comes on. Hope this helps.

:)

whitetailcrazy 07-28-2008 09:08 PM

Is there an oil cooler on the foreman?? Check to see if its clogged with mud and or seed from grasses.........! If it is clean it out and go form there!

fantail 07-29-2008 06:43 PM

The 400 foreman does have an oil cooler but is not water cooled and as you said it is an oil temp light. So if the light is coming on then the engine is getting too hot. The fan may not be working or the cooler could be clogged.

I've got two 500 foremans and they've got two oil coolers one high and one in front of the fan. The reason they did this was because the cooler in front of the fan can get clogged easily in muddy conditions.

PRETTY BOY 07-30-2008 05:32 PM

What year is the machine.I had the same problem with an 1987 trx 350 . It needed oil especially made for these years which you cannot get anymore.If this is the problem don't sweat it too much the bike is still running today.

saravanans 12-29-2009 09:58 PM

Had her out for her second ride since my rebuild. Normal riding conditions at the dunes at sea level. Water temp running 185-190 per the ESR Gauge. But oil light started comming on. Never seen that before. Have the Vennom header wrapped. Anyone thing this is holding too much heat too close to the head and causing the oil to heat up? Thought I would see the oposit happening. I have the fan on a manual override toggle and flip it on after racing, but it still even under 2nd and 3rd gear cruises with the fan on for 3-4 minutes the red light would stay on despite water temp staying really low 185...
thanks for any help
==================
cadillac wheel hub bearing
Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems, Car's, 4WD, SUV's and Trailers