HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Knife Balde Makes and models. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/253549-knife-balde-makes-models.html)

Jeff Ovington 07-19-2008 08:10 PM

Knife Balde Makes and models.

[:'(][:'(][:'(]
Man I hate shopping for knives.
I havn't purchased one in the last several years.
I understand Kershaw Gerber Buck, make quality knives but I want this to be something they will want to keep forever.
Maybe I'm expecting to much from them but I love to spoil chidren.
Got a cousins son and daughter that will be starting to hunt for their first year.
They'll be tagging along with usd on our moose hunt.
They are still young,7 and 9 but its initiation time.:D
Turning 10 and 8 in August.
So I told them I'd purchase them eacha knife that will last them a lifetime for a birthday present.
I know very very little about steel quality used in knives.
Googled a few knife reviews.
Some reviews, a couple suggested Cold Steel was good
starting place.
Just browsed through Cold Steels web site.
I was thinking of purchasinga coupleof their master series hunting knives thinking that they still fabricate their blades from VG10 steel .
Find out just now, they use VG1..WHAT THE HECK????[&:][:'(]
I've never herd of VG1, but I come to my own conclusion that it ain't VG10 steel.
Not that I now how good VG 10 steel is, but I pretty sure its one of the better steels avaiable .
But does anyone know if VG1 at least eqiv to an AUS 8?
Or is it closer to the AUS 6.
Does Cold Steel produce a quality knife still?
Or have we seen the last of the best, from them.
I browsed through Cabelas, and noticed that the Cabelas Alaskan Guide seriesuses SV30 steel.
They are made by Buck, (which I have never owned) but the reviews on them seem second to none.
But for the price of them, I canpurchase at least 3.
And they can have a good start on the basics anyway.
But aside from the reviews I've read from Cabelas web page,
(which for all I know could be made up) does anyone on this forum have experience with the Cabelas Alaskan Guide.
I amleary on purchasing something sight unseen but with their warranty I can always return if I don't like.
Is SV30 a good steel?
Also took a look at Fallkniven webpage cause I do have one of those knives that I absolutly adore but I don't like the price especially if I've got to purchase a couple.
But if the best option its something I'm willing to do.
I'll just have to show the wife where the door is if she hits the roof.;)
Cause she will.But its something I'll always do and never ever stop.
But if at the same time if I have to I'll throw money out forthe Fallknivens I just need to find the best place to shop for one.
So I guess what I'm asking is what are the best steels in use for hunting knives to day.
Best makes and models that use these steels.
And best place to go to purchase.

BASSPRO 07-19-2008 08:47 PM

RE: Knife Balde Makes and models.

I have been very happy with my Kershaws. Thier customer service is awesome. I will tell you that last month I placed an order for a Randall Made model #23 here in Orlando. The only problem- the delivery date is April 2013 !!! No lie. The Randall Made is a knife you will have forever. It was expensive, but that history and quality are second to none. I visit the shop often and see these being made by hand. In the meantime- I am sticking with my Kershaws. Check them out on the Blade Forums.

fishinhuckle 07-24-2008 11:29 AM

Jeff
Purchased a cold steel fixed blade from Sports Authority of all places a couple years ago. It was on sale for around 30 bucks 75% off and figured it may be cheap junk but was pleasantly surprised. I worked in Cutlery World back in early 80"s when in school and Cold Steel was as good as it got, right up there with Henkel from Germany. This knife is awsome, keeps a sharp blade through about 5 deer then has to be sharpened on a stone. Look for the highest amount of carbon steel with some stainless, carbon is easy to sharpen and stainless is hardening agent.

Good Luck
Huck

vestina 07-27-2008 03:59 AM

the best steel is 440,trust me!

Big Guy01 07-27-2008 04:53 AM

I have been very happy with my Puma folder. I bought it 25 years ago and after much use a piece broke off inside the handle and it wouldn't lock open, I returned it for service and they sent me a new knife no charge!! they stand behind their lifetime warantee.
Here is some info in knife steels

154CM
This is an American made stainless steel that was originally developed to make turbine blades in jet engines. It is very similar to ATS-34. It's very corrosion resistant and has good toughness and edge quality.

440C
This is a stainless steel that is used on many factory manufactured knife blades. It is very tough and extremely stain resistant. It holds an edge well and is fairly easy to sharpen. It is generally hardened to between 56 and 59 Rc., and makes a great all around blade. 440C is far superior to most other 400 series steels. 440A and 440B are not as good.

ATS-34
This is a stainless steel that comes from Japan and is very similar to The U.S.'s 154CM. It became very popular with knife makers in the 1990's as a higher quality alternative to 440C. The steel is not as rust resistant as 440C, but holds a better edge. The carbon content is 1.04% . It works best when hardened to between 59 Rc to 61 Rc.

AUS-8
This steel has a low carbon to chromium ratio. It is very resistant to corrosion, and is very tough, but does not hold an edge as well as many other steel variations with higher carbon content.

BG-42
This material is a stainless steel. It has a better edge holding ability than 44C and ATS-34, and is tougher than ATS-34. Works best when hardened to 61 - 63 Rc.

D2
This material is a very high carbon steel (1.5%) that has superb edge holding ability and unmatched wear resistance, but lacks toughness. It is not as corrosion resistant as 440C or ATS-34, and is not considered a stainless steel because it only has 12% chrome. Stainless blades have 13% or more.

Damascus
Damascus is made of a variety of steels that are layered together. The finishing process involves an acid etch that exposes the surface lines. The end result is a tough blade with good edge quality. It is quite expensive and used mostly for its artistic nature.

H1
H1's claim to fame is its corrosion resistance. Blades made of the material sacrifice edge quality for this corrosion resistance and toughness.

M2
This is an extremely tough, tool grade steel. It is used mostly for industrial cutting tasks. The steel has superb strength and is extremely wear resistant, but is highly susceptible to corrosion.

S30V
This is a premium grade steel that was designed in the U.S. for knife making. It has very good edge holding ability and is very corrosion resistant.

camoman33935 07-29-2008 04:02 PM

personally i like the Case knives whit the trusharp surgical steel blades. i skined a couple hogs the other day and the blade was still razor sharp

You can find them at a pretty good price at

http://eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp

NightFire 07-30-2008 04:05 PM

So, these knives are for a 7 year old and a 9 year old. Think back to when you were that age ( a bit of a stretch for some of us), and what you did with your knives. With that in mind, do you really think any knife is going to be able to withstand the abuse? I used to throw my knives into trees, fences, the ground, and other places. It was a screwdriver, a chisle, a hammer and a prybar.

I would say, get a good Buck knife or similar. I certainly wouldn't spend more than $30 or so.

Jeff Ovington 07-31-2008 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: NightFire

So, these knives are for a 7 year old and a 9 year old. Think back to when you were that age ( a bit of a stretch for some of us), and what you did with your knives. With that in mind, do you really think any knife is going to be able to withstand the abuse? I used to throw my knives into trees, fences, the ground, and other places. It was a screwdriver, a chisle, a hammer and a prybar.

I would say, get a good Buck knife or similar. I certainly wouldn't spend more than $30 or so.
I remember being 7-9 so do my parents:D:D
Thats exactly why I go for top quality steel.
Cause it will that abuse.;)
Maybe I'll geat them some throwing stars as well as a stocking present for Christmas.:D
In all seriosness though.
My brotherdoesn't mindidea ,his wife hates the idea
because of the age.but I'm doing it anyway.
These knives will be locked away in the gun cabinet
never to be touched unless they are used for the purpose of gutting or skinning.
My brother has promised his wife that.
Falkniven H1 is out because they recomend experienced people only use their knives because of the handle shape.
I'm taking this pretty seriously and still have time cause safety is at the foremost.
Thanks for replys guys, I'm look into them.

adirondackhunter 07-31-2008 04:22 PM

I have been using a folding buck knife for several years now.Works great.

Rebel Hog 08-01-2008 09:53 AM

CutCo, Kershaw, Boker, Schrade Walden, etc,etc,etc......