Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Knife Balde Makes and models.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:00 PM
RPS

Default RE: Knife Balde Makes and models.

Falkniven H1 is out because they recomend experienced people only use their knives because of the handle shape.
The handleshape you are talking about is specifically for the H1 knife "With a handle this shape, you should be an experienced hunter or outdoorsman to ensure you can safely handle such a classic yet advanced design as the H1 Hunting Knife." (http://www.fallkniven.com/h1.htm).
I don't think I'd count out Fallkniven yet, they still have a lot to chose from even if the H1 is specifically for experienced hunters. Check out the Northern Light (NL) series, or even the TK1.

In any case browse the manufacturers websites and see what they make their knives out of, if you find one you think will work let me know, usually I can get a pretty good price on knives even though they are currently not on my webiste.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Columbia river makes some great knives. CRKT.

http://www.crkt.com/

Old 08-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have a folding buck knife that I have had for nearly 30 years. Many years ago I broke the tip off digging a slug out of a tree and since then it sat in a drawer. This year I sent it back to Buck knives under their lifetime warrranty. The blade was replaced, no questions asked, and the turn around was pretty quick.

That being said I don't use a folding for cleaning deer because the slot in the handle collects crap and needs a good cleaning afterward. I just got a Grohmann GR1 which is their original design. It feels great in my hand and I look forward to using it for many seasons. It wasn't as sharp as I would have liked out of the box, but I am real particular about how sharp my knives and broadheads are. I am not happy unless shave hair with very little effort.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/outdoor.html

Bob
Old 09-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I bit the bullet the other day and purchased 2 Falkniven
TK6's.
Boy is my wife pissed............
I don't know what she's pissed off more about. The approx $500.00I spent on them for the pair,, or the fact thatits an 8 to 10 wk delivery and I paid for them both upfront the fact that I bought knives for kids, the fact that she said No I i did it anyway.who knows.
I phoned my brother and gave him the "Heads Up" cause his wife ain't gonna be too pleased with me either.
But its not like I see here everyday, so he'll be the one that gets the earful.
Oh well, my wife better get used to me doing it though,
cause thats what i do..
And there is more kids coming of that age in the next few years.
By than she'll probably have divorced my butt so she may not care either.
Anyways the kids should enjoy them.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington

TK6's.
I don't know what she's pissed off more about. The approx $500.00I spent on them for the pair,, or the fact thatits an 8 to 10 wk delivery and I paid for them both upfront the fact that I bought knives for kids, the fact that she said No I i did it anyway.who knows.
I phoned my brother and gave him the "Heads Up" cause his wife ain't gonna be too pleased with me either.
cause thats what i do..

WOW, Kinda makes me like my $25 Buck 110 a whole lot better.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington

TK6's.
cause thats what i do..

WOW, Kinda makes me like my $25 Buck 110 a whole lot better.

Yeah..I don't like settlingon something, just to keep the peace.
I'm stubburn that way.
Whether or not cheeper priced ones may work isn't the issue with me, its more that when I give a giftto someone,I want to be remembered as the one giving it.
Call it selfish, call me stupid,call it as having a heart of gold,it doesn't matter to me.
What is important to me, is when these 2 kids are in their 70's and 80's,they will remembergetting their first quality hunting knife from their Uncle Jeff.
And hopefully,it will be something that they will be proud to hand down to one of their kids or other familly members.
Those are the gifts that I like to give. Not ones that will be tossed,replaced, or forgotten about a few years down the road.
I will always be like that and it won't change.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

I have had a bunch of knives over the years, some good some bad. My custom made Cook knife is still the best for hunting and skinning, holds an edge a lot longer and is a lot stronger then commercialized brands, You can feel the difference just in the weight of the steel. Yes its expensive, but you get what you pay for.

www.lynnknives.com

i use the cook field guide
Old 09-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a bit late for the recommendation party but, figured a share a quick story.

Buck knives are a big tradition in my family. My Grandfather, Father, and I both have one. When I was 12 and going out hunting for the first time with a gun, I remember my brother buying me my Buck knife. It was unexpected and of course my dad bought it for my brother to give to me (Not the point). Everyone in our family still has their knives. All the folding models and actually all different. It is a tradition that you don't buy your own knife. You are given one passed down to you or you are purchased one. They are one great knife and I have skinned and whittled more sticks than deer yet, it looks as good and performs as good as day one.

At 12, I would not have know the different between a 30 dollar knife and a 300 dollar knife. I know now that a good knife is a big deal to a young kid. An important point in their life. I think it is great that regardless of the cost or model, you purchased a gift and your proud of it. They will love it as well, I'm sure.

One reminder. I have almost lost or thought I lost my knife 2 dozen times over the years. At no point did I worry about the cost or money involved. I worried about the memories and gift that it was and still is. I hope it becomes the same way for them. If it does get misplaced, go easy on them... because it is not about the cost of the knife.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Spike

GET A BENCHMADE