HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Mid-size ATV fuel injected, liquid cooled? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/252713-mid-size-atv-fuel-injected-liquid-cooled.html)

salukipv1 07-13-2008 07:37 PM

Mid-size ATV fuel injected, liquid cooled?

Who makes a liquid cooled fuel injected mid-sized atv?

I know polaris does, but I hate the look and all the plastic, does anyone else?

I want these key features in a smaller atv, not sure how/why atv's have become HUGE! over the years...?

I know to put in food plots etc...all I need to do is bring a guy into the woods maybe haul out a deer etc....if I ever need to put in crops I'll buy a new one, since that's many years away.

I also don't need to do 120mph, 40mph is plenty fast, not racing this thing here.

Doesn't anyone else want something of this configuration?

bugsNbows 07-14-2008 10:03 AM

RE: Mid-size ATV fuel injected, liquid cooled?

Yamaha has just come out with a 550 (mid size) with power assist steering that would meet your criteria. It's the little brother to their 700 ...which is a dandy.

CamoCop 07-14-2008 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I know polaris does, but I hate the look and all the plastic, does anyone else?

i've never seen an aluminum or all steel atv. everyone i've ever seen was prodominately plastic

fjp326 07-14-2008 02:38 PM

Check out the Honda Rancher.

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/utility/model.asp?ModelName=FourTrax+Rancher+4X4+ES&Mo delYear=2008&ModelId=TRX420FE8

salukipv1 07-14-2008 04:05 PM

I dont mind plastic farings etc....but plastic racks....i can't stand, so much prefer the tubular steel racks. That's what I was referring to.

ranger6 07-15-2008 08:14 PM

Bought a new ranger 700for my place of work. tryed out all diff. makeslike the john deer (sucked) . Has alot of power for putting plots in. cool thing is you can buy a kit to make it strret legal to get plated. also put steel tubing to help protect the sides and front/back. the one thing that made the desicion is we tested them up and down a sand dune and the only one that couldmake it up and stop in the middle and continue was the ranger.

wis_bow_huntr 07-16-2008 09:00 AM

Go with a Kawasaki youll love it!

Ben / PA 07-16-2008 09:12 PM

Sounds like you want to do what I do. I have a Suzuki Vinson 500....Bullet Proof....does EVERYTHING......but they have made a few improvments and called it a 450 King Quad now....thats my opinion.

CamoCop 07-17-2008 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I dont mind plastic farings etc....but plastic racks....i can't stand, so much prefer the tubular steel racks. That's what I was referring to.

gotcha. the Polaris 700 i owned a while back had metal racks

Angus74 07-21-2008 09:07 PM

Ive got a Honda Rancher 420, fuel injection, liquid cooled, electric shift,(not belt driven automatic) selectable 4x4, and has metal racks, along with the dependability of Honda. I love it and it is a powerhouse compared to comparable sized atvs.. You wont be disappointed,, and the price is pretty decent too.

ilyotehunter 07-25-2008 09:20 PM

new grizz 550 just read a review on it sounds like a great machine.

salukipv1 07-27-2008 04:11 PM

so looked at them all, polaris is the only true midsized that's liq cooled and fuel injection, only problem? looks like a spaceship, god awful ugly, I don't know how anyone likes those plastic racks.

Others make mid size units, cept, theyre either not liq cooled or not efi
next size up is a honda rancher,

polaris is LxWxH....72"x44"x45"

honda..... 81"x46x45"

the big boys are all about..... 85"x46"49"

so geez, who knows?

Champlain Islander 07-29-2008 07:04 AM

Suzuki King Quad 450 has it all: EFI, IRL, liquid cooled, Push button 2WD and 4WD with locker diff and weighs 600 pounds. Lots of power at a decent price and a great ride.

camoman33935 07-29-2008 10:26 PM

Man to be honest with you i think that a Honda would be your best bet. i have an 06 Foreman 4x4 and i've had it throgh some bad stuff and came out fine. my cousin was ridin a yamaha and he went in to 2ft of water and the motor got screwed up, i went through the same hole at a different time when the water was over my racks(i have a snorkeled intake) and made it through just fine.

uncle matt 07-29-2008 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

Suzuki King Quad 450 has it all: EFI, IRL, liquid cooled, Push button 2WD and 4WD with locker diff and weighs 600 pounds. Lots of power at a decent price and a great ride.
The problem I have with the 450 KQ is the 4WD selector. You have to take your right hand off the throttle to engage it and that o me is bad if your into some deep crap and want to pop into 4WD from 2WD. You would more than likely have to or come to a stop and sometimes that isn't too good.

The MSRP has been dropped on the Polaris Sportsman 500EFI which I would bet would tear most all the others up in a tug of war.

Champlain Islander 07-30-2008 07:40 AM

I never found that to be a problem. The switch is quick but to engage the locking diff which is another lever you really should be at a stop. When I am riding in soupy conditions, or in snow I keep mine in 4WD all the time. I bought my 450 KQ 2 years ago for less than 6K new. I use mine on the ice mostly and like the fact that it weighs only 600 pounds which is the standard for the jap bikes. The polaris weighs about 725 pounds but does have an excellent metal skid plate system which adds to the weight. I think the new Polaris bikes are good and wouldn't hesitate to buy one. The older ones were crap but the new bikes are good.