Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Trail Cams Trail Cams Trail Cams!!!!! >

Trail Cams Trail Cams Trail Cams!!!!!

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Trail Cams Trail Cams Trail Cams!!!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 05:09 PM

Default Trail Cams Trail Cams Trail Cams!!!!!

I have just started researching trail cams and boy they sure can get expensive. i was thinking that I would be able to pick a good one up for about $150 but they go up $500. That is too steep for me so is there a trail cam that yall can recommend? I was reading where infrared is they best flash system to get so it won't spook the deer. I also read where some say that Moultrie is junk but soooo many people use them. there is Moultrie, Stealth Cam, CuddieBack and Bushnell. I guess if I have to spend $300 then I will but I would prefer not to but hust want to get one that will be worth the investment.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trail Cams Trail Cams Trail Cams!!!!!

Brother, welcome to the wonderful world of trail camera's....I know where you are at, it is a maze for sure....I would not dismiss the moultrie's too fast, I have three of them now, after buying several different one's.
I hunt on leased land and there are 9 of us that all have camera's, every brand that you can think of there is at least one on the land somewhere or has at least been used. I can not tell you this camera is better than that camera, I can tell you that we have had problems with all of them. I just bought the most expensive camera that I own which was $200 and it was a I 40, my initial report is that it takes excellent pictures and the infraredhas good distancebut it has only been in use for a few months. I also have two D-40's that take really good pic's too that have been trouble free for over a year now, however one of the other guy's bought one last year at the exact same time and place that I bought mine and his will not take pic's anymore as of a couple months ago. He spoke with moultrie and they are going to take care of it last I heard. Not saying that they are the best but they take dang good pic's for the money and yes they are an investment. If I were going to spend more than $200 I would go with the leafriver brand, which will be my next camera when the time comes. One of my buddies bought one two years ago and has not had a problem with it yet and one set of batteries lasts around 5 months but he spent some coin on it too.....With the experiences I have had with my moultries I would buy another one in a heartbeat....There are a couple that I would not buy (from experience). The one camera that I would not buy again would be my wildview, I have not been impressed with that camera in the least (it was my first) and last...Good Luck with your decision, I know it isn't an easy one.....
Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Curtis, I have a D-40 and no problems after about a year. I have loked at the new Preditors, but man $500 plus to not "spook" deer isn't in my budget. I have not seen much of a reaction from the animals after a day or so of the flash, animals will get used to it.

Jayson
Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would avoid the d40. the i40 is a much better camera, in my opinion it's more then worth the extra money. there's a ton of hype right now about the scoutguard 550 or something like that (it's late, i refuse to think).

i've been using trail cameras for 9 years and the i40 is the best camera i've used. my other cams: trailtimer photohunter (2), trailtimer ez-cam (3), stealth 35mm, stealth i450 (2), bushnell 119200, cuddeback no-flash, wildview 2.0 (2), wildview II, wildview 4, stealth wd-2, moultrie i60 (2), leaf river 35mm, there's more I just can't remember.

anyway, old moultrie's weren't the greatest. the new generation (minus the d40) are great. I've been hearing about some recent issues w/ the '08 models. but my new i60 is working wonderfully. anyway, have fun!
Old 07-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i jus bought a moultrie d40 2 months ago an it workin jus fine... no complaints about it... one i would not buy is another wildview 4.0.......absoutely pos!!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:57 AM

cant go wrong with moultrie for the price .and dont worry bout flash i sit late one afternoon and watched 2 bucks have 5 pics taken of them and didnt even look up afterflash just kept on feeding
Old 08-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Spike

I am a proud owner of a Moultrie I40 and a Scoutgaurd 550. Believe the hype.

The Moultrie is good, great on battery life, nice pics but bulky as a brick. The downside is that the brand new I40's that are now on the shelf have been tested to have very slow trigger speeds compared to their older counterparts (mine is a older I40).

The SG550 is a "special" camera. It's video will just amaze you. It takes AAbatteries (use duracells) and it fits in the palm of your hand. You can hide it anywhere and inside most anything therefore making it less susceptible to being stolen. Another great feature is the fact that it has no flash or "light beam" of any kind that comes on like other IR cameras. In other words, intruders, deer,etc will not know it is even there. It is the real deal.

Having both, if I were to buy another one, hands down it would be the SG550. beebusyoutdoors.comsells them.