HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Argo vs. 4 Wheeler (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/24123-argo-vs-4-wheeler.html)

Rangerlab 02-19-2003 09:48 AM

Argo vs. 4 Wheeler

I am looking to purchase an off road vehicle in the near future and was wondering if anyone has experience with both of these. The Argo looks very interesting. I like having seating for more than one person, and it seems like the Argo can pretty much go anywhere. I have never driven one, and am wondering how well it handles compared to a 4 wheeler.

bruce_smith60 02-19-2003 10:22 AM

RE: Argo vs. 4 Wheeler

All I' ve heard about the Argos,.....go nearly any where, need a biger trailer, and the up keep(maintainance) is ungodly.
ATVs can be fun all year round, less up keep and the resale value stays up there.

drgildy 02-19-2003 04:58 PM

A friend and took his Argo out in a gumbo slough a few years ago. Gumbo is like glue and the water was only 4 or 5 inches deep (great hunting no one else could get out there) after we were done hunting we had to wait till one in the morning to let the gumbo freeze enough so we could get up pn top again. Never seen anything so stuck in my life. Just goes to show that you can stick anything if you try long enough. I don' t believe you could have gone out in the first place with a four wheeler.

kirkl 02-19-2003 05:09 PM

The road we take up to go elk hunting is really bumpby with pretty big rocks we have to ride over with our quads, last year while riding up it we ran into a guy that had gotten half way up it in his Argo and parked on the side of the road and rode the rest of the way with his buddy on his atv, said it was to hard to handle on the bumpy road.

stubblejumper 02-19-2003 09:03 PM

An argo will haul a great deal more than any quad but they are very slow and ride very rough.They are also hard to manouver in close quarters and require much more maintenance than a quad.

skeeter 7MM 02-19-2003 10:29 PM

Argos have their place and thats where a quad doesn' t (ie: swamps, heavy bog or muskeg) They are slow, handle poor and as stated require more up keep and money. If you hunt in an area that is bush, fields, mud holes, snow and smaller bogs, the quad with a winch will do you just fine. You can comfortably ride two and even three if required, we do it for bear hunting at times and just strap on a cushion on the rear rack, all the gear bows, guns, packs fit on the front rack of our models. Maybe not the best solution and surely not to go through h#ll trails and long hauls, but it works. The argo will also require a trailer, where a quad will fit in most trucks no problem.

turkeyreaper 03-17-2003 12:48 PM

If you are looking at an Argo, I would Highly recommend the Polaris Ranger.
Two of my friends have it and it is one heck of a machine.

Ruger-Redhawk 03-17-2003 04:58 PM

I' ve seen a couple of the Argo' s but never rode or drove one.Except for being able to float the 4 wheeler would be my choice.I do like the Polaris Ranger . I kinda wish now, I would have bought one of them instead of my Polaris Sportsman.The Ranger would come in handy doing chores around the house and during hunting season.That' s just my opinion.
Ruger Redhawk