Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Truck suggestions?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 AM

Default RE: Truck suggestions?

I have a 08 gmc z-71 crewcab with the duramax and doing 74 i get right at 21mpg thats hand calculated at fill up, around town I average 16.5 and if I can keep it under 65 on the highway I get close to 23my last truck was a half ton gmc with the 350 it was a 94 model and it had 317,000 mile when I sold it, I had to have the trans rebuilt but the motor was never touched and it got 16mpg highway. As far as the other trucks I have friends who have the 08 ford diesels and none of them get better than 13 mpg can't speak for the new dodge motors don't know anybody that has them. Duramax's are the diesel kings right now.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 AM
BKC

I have 06 Ford5.7 FX4 four door K&N air filter and the edge programmer towed my CJ5 from SF Bay area up to Oregon for deer huntI got 19mpg and was rolling down the road at 75-80 felt like there was nothing behind me. I leave for Montana on the 15th for Elkwill report the MPG. All of you should look in to buying a programmer they are the best investment you can buy for any truck.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

i wouldn't say a truck with 90k miles is considered "unreliable". It always depends on how it was taken care of by the previous owner. I have owned Ford Trucks for about 15 years now and have put on many many many miles. I travel to my cabin 4 hours away almost every weekend, i tow boats, snowmobiles, etc.... on a regular basis. I also take care of my truck. I have a 2006 4x4 F150 liarat which most people would look at and say it looks brand new. I had over 130k on my 2002 F150 and it ran and worked like a charm.

The gas mileage thing is true thou. If you get a truck you can't really worry about gas mileage. I came to that conclusion a long time ago.

What i found with the fords is that if you keep the rpm's at 2000 or less your mileage increases greatly. When i go 68 miles per hour i get up to 18 on my F150. At 2100 i go right to about 16.3. I have the tow package so this does make some sense.

Not to start a war, but i believe that Ford trucks are better than chevy. Again, JMO... i have had chevy's, GMC's and the Fords have ALWAYS outlasted them. Fords are not as fast, they don't get as good of MPG but they are solid.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Without reading all of the posts, I'll give my 2 cents. I love my 2004 GMC Canyon(same as that Colorado). Crew cab, 3.5 5 cylinder gets 22-23 mpg. Make sure it has the towing package, Z-71 suspension, 4x4 etc. It can comfortable seat 5. I bought mine with 40,000 miles and so far its not had one problem(knock on wood).

I looked at a Tacoma. Lower gas mileage and not rated to tow as much as the Canyone/Colorado. Dodge Dakotas suck as far as gas mileage.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 2001 FordSupercrew that I have driven for six yrs. Not one problem other than replacing one bushing in the front end. Truck now has 147,000 miles and I would drive it anywhere. It has great towing, plenty of room for the family, and if I drive it sensibly on the road, it gets 20mi per gallon. It has the 5.4 V-8. Best vehicle I have ever owned. If there could be an improvement, I would say that I wished they made it with a longer bed but that's about it.

Blessings.....Pastorjim