Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Truck suggestions?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 PM
BKC

Default RE: Truck suggestions?

well I just pulled the trigger on the 2002 Ford 7.3 Diesel F... the price of diesel at least I know while I'm climbing the mountains of Montana pulling my Jeep with 3 other hunters in with me andno one will be passing mein any other truck pulling aJeep or a trailer unless they have a diesel
Old 04-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Had a 91 Toyota ext cab 4x4 with 4 cyl and 5 spd. 22 mpg all the time be it city or hwy. Ok if you have little kids but the backseat wouldn't handle them if they are getting older. Awesome truck, just needed more room.
Then had a T100 with the V6. 17mpg hwy and 12 towing 5000 lb trailer. Great truck but not enough power.
On to a 2000 Silverado with 5.3. 17 mpg hwy and 10 (if lucky) towing the same 5000 lb trailer. This truck was a POS to boot and was in the shop at least twice a month. Shoulda got the Tundra.
Now-2003 F350 with 7.3 Diesel, 4x4 crewcab SB. 18 mpg hwy (have gotten 23) 17mpg city, and 10-11 mpg towing a 13000 lb 5th wheel. Does everything I need it to except cannot hold a candle to the Toyotas for reliability. Still waiting for that Tundra 1 ton crew dually with a diesel...........................
Old 04-04-2008, 01:58 PM
BKC

Well I pulled the trigger on the ford that I was talking about in my earlier post and the woman quit answering her phone and wouldn't call me back so finally found her and she sold it to some on else. So I'm back looking and I'm down to 2 a Ford 2006 crew cab 23k very very cleanfactory warranty or a 2005 chevy crew cab with 100k warranty both gas and both 18500 both clean........any help
Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned a Chevy, Ford, Nissan and Toyota over many years, and I will tell you this nothing compares to the Toyota. It will out last those other trucks by a long shot
Old 05-05-2008, 11:59 PM
BKC

I have a 04 Lincoln Avitor and it get 17-18 on freeway it has everything dvd nav leather 20 inch rims 4 wheel drive towed my jeep 600 miles and went and bought a truck FX4 supercrew 5.4all leather 2005, 28000 miles clean and looks brand new, 60k warr the guy owned 4 house's and was in trouble with ajd loans and had to sell his toys I looked for a long time almost 4 months but I found a real deal I paid 17000 for this truck put a programer in it towed my jeep on a short trip 100 miles with the jeep and the programer in tow mode avg 14 miles to the gallonI also changed the air intake to a K/N I live in cal hunt in montana Wyomng and Northern Calif so this year a lot of miles. I would rather drive that truck the then the Lincoln and I can't even feel the jeep behind that truck I agree with cjwink buy more truck then you think when you tow My brother in law has the chevy deisel and loves it and he also has the programer and says that make a big dif when he pulls his boat BUY BIG NOT small in trucksand buy american........Go to Overstock.com they have autos and trucks now my buddy just bought a honda ridgline for 28000 fully loaded nav moonroof cd
6cd player leather the whole shootin match. [8D]
Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 AM

I've owned my 2005 Toyota Tundra limited for about a month now and I love it like I never dreamed I would. I would suggest an '05 if you go for a Tundra as its the first year with both a 5 speed transmission and the VVT-i (variable valvetiming technology w/intelligence)to save you lots of gas mileage. If you drive the speed limit and avoid aggressive starts and stops, you can get 20mpg on the freeway. This is for a truck that can tow close to 8,000 pounds. I'm nervous that if you bought that Tacoma and tried pulling more than a few thousand pounds, you'd be better off MPG wise pulling with a Tundra. I don't do towing and haven't hauled much yet, but with the power and options I have on the Tundra I can't envision having a Tacoma just to save 2mpg. I haven't had the chance to do much off roading with mine yet but I'm sure it will perform wonderfully. I just did a quick eBay search and it looks as though you can a baseline double cab for around 15K. Obviously, mine being a limited and having fairly low miles it was $5K+ more than that. I'm so glad I didn't buy a fall-apart domestic truck. Best luck and God bless.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:05 PM
BKC

I'm sorry but I have to have a truck built in the USA in fact all three of my cars are built in the USA. There is so much room in my FX4 super crew 4X4 with the programmer I get 16.5 per gal pulling the CJ5 as far as fall apart domestic trucks my aviator has 62k dose not leak a drop of any thing and runs great and solid as a rock not even a rattle anywhere in the cab. The FX4 is the same way I think J for the USA might be a bit mixed up because that tundra was made in the USA.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

don't buy a ford
Old 05-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

or a dodge
Old 05-23-2008, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhh, the age-old question. Having owned nownine Ford and Chev/GMC pickups and SUVs, and considering that fuel costs are NOT likely to come down for a long time:

- Best mileage: Diesel, hands-down (22 hwy, 15 city)

- Best power: Diesel, hands-down

- Most pulling power (I tow anything from a snowmobile trailer to a 28.5 ft Fifth-wheel with an 18-foot boat behind (about 17,000 lbs)) - Diesel, hands-down

- Most expensive purchase price: Diesel, hands-down

- Most expensive repairs: Diesel, hands-down

I currently drive an '07 Chev Silverado DuraMax/Allison Crew-cab, coming up from an '01 Extended cab. Have just one kiddo, but that extra room in back is a lifesaver. With three, that Colorado's not big enough by a long shot. The whining you hear all the time won't be from the tranny.

There's nothing wrong with a gas engine if you don't have a big towing requirement (and a once-a-year trip may not justify paying an extra $50-$75 each time you fill it up the rest of the year - I'm paying about $130 twice a month now). I know lots of guys who, although the biggest thing they might load in the back or pullmight be a lawnmower, absolutely MUST have a diesel. That's kind of silly, but whatever floats yer boat. I know other guys pulling trailers like mine who think they need to be able to pass Ferraris on the interstate. What concerns me most then isn't so much "pulling power" but "braking power". Most of them can't slow themselves down in time to avoid accidents. When I've kept my wits about me and been patient about getting there, even with a 17,000-lb load I can pull 14 mpg from the truck at 65mph. Kick it up to 75, I'm lucky to get 10.

If I were simply using a truck for get-to-work and light pulling, I'd probably be inclined to stick with something 5.3-6.0 and gas. I've not heard good things about anyone's big motors lately (8.1 or V10), nor about Dodge's gas engines at all,other than from people holding shares of an oil company. More important to me is 1/2-ton vs 3/4. Simply because thestuff turning power to motionall tend to be a little heavier-duty (not to mention the brakes are better), I'd opt for a 3/4 if I had any choice at all. An aside - the DuraMax/Allison with a Tekonsha Prodigy inertia brake controller are an incredibly effectivecombination, especially when you're coming off Wolf Creek or Vail passes with a big trailer on behind you.

While it does pain me to say it, I've seen a couple Honda Ridgelines in the woods. Honda's been known for durability for years. No, you probably won't see them at the weekend's mud-bog competitions, or running on the slickrock, but for general purposes, they might be a solid alternative. I see a lot of Toy and Nissan "full-size" trucks with 5.7-5.8 engines running around lately, but I'm not hearing any better of them than I have the Fords and GMs. Their smaller offerings (Tundra, Frontier), even in the crew-cab versions, leave me with a short box and stuff hanging over the tailgate, and feeling like I'm jammed inside a buzzing sardine can. Of course, the things'll run FOREVER, but a recent past experience where it seemed like every knucklehead with an AK-47 or RPGwas driving one, I can't say that I'm eager to drive anything that I used to shoot at on a regular basis.

There are a LOT of choices out there, my advice is go a little bigger if you can - especially in the cab if you're hauling the family. If you really PULL stuff often, think about a 3/4-ton. If you pull really HEAVY stuff often, think about a diesel.

Quick Reply: Truck suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.