Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Polaris Four Wheeler

Old 02-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Polaris Four Wheeler

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I thought Belts might of been one of the Issue's....but I havent had any issue's with the shifting yet or clutch...
It does get a little upsetting when a belt breaks crossing a heavy hauler road used by 400+ ton trucks.These machines do not haul heavy loads,and aren't used for towing or dragging.The honda quads used by the pipeline guys seem to take much harsher use with no problems at all.
Interesting..Being how Polaris has Lifetime warranty on the belt under normal operation,I think that would be something to look into...
What year Rangers...The reason I ask is I dont like the newer ones with independent rear suspention(spl),they dont feel sturdy when towing and feelmushy with a load.....my 03 has a streight axle...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:21 AM

I have a new 2008 Polaris Sportsman 300. I have had it for a month and it is great. It was easy to install the winch myself although there was no easily accessible key controlled switch so I had to install a safety relay to prevent accidental winching. (is that a word?) I have owned Honda and Arctic Cat before and the Polaris is by far the best ride because of the independent rear suspension.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that our rangers are 2005 models.They are 500cc four wheel units.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to be in the right gear range to be able to do what you want to do. I feel that's the main issue with Polaris, guys try to do things in the wrong gear range and end up smoking the belt!! So it's more of an issue with the operator than the machine in my opinion.
I feel that it is an issue with the machine, only because you have to be in low to just ride along in the woods and go over small logs and such. The only time I really need be in low on the Suzuki is coming down steep terrain.

but rather on actual experiences with a product.My experiences with atvs is that I have towed or helped repair more Polaris atvs than any other brand while they certainly aren't the most common atv in my area.
Amazingly in my area they are very common but they still need towed. I too have winched and towed way more of them than any other brand.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

must be independent being 2005.I think that was the 1st year,my 03 is a 500cc also and the only time I use low is if Iam going up a steephill with a trailer or boator pulling my 16ft trailer loaded down up a incline,other then that its always in high....
Old 02-17-2008, 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: TurkeyT

If Polaris is the only mfg that seems to conistantly break or have issues that u all ride and use at ur camp. Our terrain is tough and we work themvery hard.....we have had problems consistantly with Polaris. Then why do you still own them what model are they?
That is a good question, andtheydo not still own them. One guy had a magnum,I think it was a 325 and it was quickly traded in for a Honda Rancher.....hehas been very happy with the rancher. Another guy swapped his 500 sportsman for a Honda as well....again, he loves his Honda. One guy returned his new 700 back to the dealerafter multiple problems but he has not yet replaced. BTW I own a Yamaha Kodiak 450 and Kawi 750 brute force....and have had a few minor problems with the bf, but it has beenroad hard to say the least.I have not hada problem with the Yamaha.Not bashing, just reporting my experience. If I was to buy a new wheeler for just trail riding, I would go with Honda. For both trail riding and doing work (food plots and hauling logs in our case) I would lean toward Yamaha probably.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:51 AM
Spike

I have an 2004 sportsman 500HO and a 2007 sportsman 300 no major problems. I would recommend Polaris, they have been good to me.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I run across a 500 HO at a fare price I will buy it and attach my Ground Hog on it and leave it on all yr round..

Ground Hog....Its a hydrolic loader,lifts 300lbs 38" high its a nice little loader for general yard work.